The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.podbean.com

#102 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,254 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

Sisco is ice cold.  9/45 over the past 3 weeks.    He's also striking out a ton, almost 30% of the time, which has never been an issue for him before.

He's got a pretty solid track record of struggling at new levels for a while before figuring it out and going on to hit very well.  He had a 729 OPS in 2015 in his final month of the season when he got promoted to Bowie, then a 789 OPS for April & May of 2016, and then 847 the rest of the way before getting a brief callup to Norfolk.  Earlier in 2015 in Frederick, he had a 742 OPS through June (he also missed about 4 weeks due to injury) and then a 860 OPS the rest of the way until his mid-August promotion to Bowie.  2014 at Delmarva he 761 OPS through May and then 894 the rest of the way.

He's 109 PA into his AAA career with a 692 OPS, so hope we see a similar epiphany and he gets things going within the next month or so.

Since this post he's had 138 PA with a 300/377/442/818 slash line.

#103 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,574 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

The kid can hit. Don't know how much power he'll ever develop but the Avg/OBP should play at the ML level. The key is staying at C compared to a move to LF

#104 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,014 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

He seems to have had to get through adjustment periods at each level and when he does, he just hits (as Branden said).

Be more than happy to have a 280/350 type bat in the lineup, especially if the defense is there behind the plate.

@BSLRobShields

#105 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

Read some quotes from John Russell saying that he was very please with Sisco's progression, and that he was really starting to get the "feel" for the catcher position.  But, tough to gauge how much of that is real and how much is just coachspeak.

#106 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,254 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

One thing I definitely trust this organization to do is to teach defense to catchers.  Wieters and Joseph both had bat-only reputations and I think both were pretty excellent defensively once they reached the majors (at least before the rule about plate blocking and the surgery for Wieters).

That doesn't assure us that he'll end up as a decent defensive catcher, but it certainly won't be coaching that holds him back.

#107 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

One thing I definitely trust this organization to do is to teach defense to catchers.  Wieters and Joseph both had bat-only reputations and I think both were pretty excellent defensively once they reached the majors (at least before the rule about plate blocking and the surgery for Wieters).

That doesn't assure us that he'll end up as a decent defensive catcher, but it certainly won't be coaching that holds him back.

Correct, and I've said that all along about Sisco.  I don't know if he has the skills to do it, but if he does, they'll get him there.

#108 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

Correct, and I've said that all along about Sisco.  I don't know if he has the skills to do it, but if he does, they'll get him there.

I talked to a friend who has seen Sisco at every level and he constantly says Sisco may not ever be a regular catcher, but he thinks  Chance will be a jack of all trades utility player whose bat gets him 400 AB's a year.

There is value in that.

@mikeghg

#109 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

Just tripled to right center in the Futures game. Showed pretty good wheels didn't expect him to get to third. Easily safe too.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors