#2 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

I, personally, didn't expect the Yankees to be as solid as they were WITH  healthy lineup so I was certainly wrong there. I didn't expect them to be in last place but more middle of the pack. I also didn't expect the Red Sox to be this good and the Jays to be this bad. 

Overall though, I still felt like the division still would be one of the more competitive ones in baseball. Granted, the NL Central has really kicked it into high gear with the Cardinals, Reds, and Pirates - but how many divisions have a legit four team race that looks like it could last nearly a full season?

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 64,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

I, personally, didn't expect the Yankees to be as solid as they were WITH  healthy lineup so I was certainly wrong there. I didn't expect them to be in last place but more middle of the pack. I also didn't expect the Red Sox to be this good and the Jays to be this bad. 

Overall though, I still felt like the division still would be one of the more competitive ones in baseball. Granted, the NL Central has really kicked it into high gear with the Cardinals, Reds, and Pirates - but how many divisions have a legit four team race that looks like it could last nearly a full season?

Don't worry Lance, that Rays offense will become bad at some point.  ;)

We all talked about how any team could win this division. 

Now, the one thing that appears we were wrong about is that 88 wins will win this division...that doesn't appear to be the case.

@BSLRobShields

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 89,393 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

I went into the year expecting TB to win the division, and still do. The offense might be overachieving some, but the pitching was generally underachieving. I still look at that staff as the best, and think they will be there all year.

I thought Boston would be improved, and could be 'good' if Lester and Buchholz were again strong.... thought the offense would be better with improved health, but didn't think they would be this strong. Was picturing more of a .500 team vs. a contender.

I didn't like the complexion of NY's roster, and I still don't. Still, I thought if they didn't lose early, they could again win 90 games as their starters got back to the lineup. One benefit of those older starters missing time, is that they didn't have to go through a 162 game season. Yankees certainly don't scare me, but I don't think they are going to fall off a cliff either.

I bought into the hype about Toronto, and thought they would be a WC team. Mainly through a rotation I figured would keep them in most games. Pretty horrible year for them given the expectations. Almost feel sorry for their fans, as I thought it would be good for the game if they again captured the attention of the 4M fans who used to fill SkyDome. The Jays play vs. the rest of the division could be the difference the rest of the way.

I thought we were an 85 win team going into the year. I'm now expecting more. Still think we will add some value at the non-waiver deadline which will help.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Who thought 88 wins would win the division???

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 64,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Many of us...The idea that everyone was basically even and that they would all beat up on each other.

Now, with a team like the Angels not being as good, that certainly takes some potential losses away....and you figure that the East beats up on the central.

@BSLRobShields

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

No chance 88 wins was ever going to take the division, IMO.  Maybe 92-93.  There will be balance across, but someone always pulls away and has a slightly better season, even among a very competitive and good division.  I suppose we'll have to see what happens.

There were three 90 win teams in the East last year, three in 2011, and two in 2010 (plus one with 89).  Even if all 5 teams were very good teams, someone would pull ahead and get at least into the low 90s.  Sub-90 win division winners happen when the division is bad, not when it is good.

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 64,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

No chance 88 wins was ever going to take the division, IMO.  Maybe 92-93.  There will be balance across, but someone always pulls away and has a slightly better season, even among a very competitive and good division.  I suppose we'll have to see what happens.

There were three 90 win teams in the East last year, three in 2011, and two in 2010 (plus one with 89).  Even if all 5 teams were very good teams, someone would pull ahead and get at least into the low 90s.  Sub-90 win division winners happen when the division is bad, not when it is good.

If 4 or 5 teams are 500 or better, then yes, you are likely to see a team win less than 90 games take the division.

@BSLRobShields

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

If 4 or 5 teams are 500 or better, then yes, you are likely to see a team win less than 90 games take the division.

Nope.

#10 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

Toronto was 4 games under .500 last year and three teams won 90+ games.

#11 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

I think that was my exact prediction, but I had the Jays doing it.

#12 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Nope.

Agreed... even if the division parity makes it to where you go 9-9 vs. each team in the division, there are still 90 games remaining, and you're already 36-36. That means you'd have to go 54-36 the rest of the way to reach 90 wins (.600)... which is certainly going to happen, if you're good enough to win the division.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#13 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Considering how the Yanks looked coming into the season, and with no one expecting the Sox to play this good, I think it was perfectly reasonable to see 5 teams that could be in the 80's in the win total. Unless you bought into the Jays being healthy and such (I mostly did) then I'm not sure what team one would have logically picked to win 92 plus.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

Considering how the Yanks looked coming into the season, and with no one expecting the Sox to play this good, I think it was perfectly reasonable to see 5 teams that could be in the 80's in the win total. Unless you bought into the Jays being healthy and such (I mostly did) then I'm not sure what team one would have logically picked to win 92 plus.

There is a major difference between not expecting one specific team to win 90+ and expecting all the teams to win fewer than 90.

Expecting someone to win the division with under 90 wins was a silly expectation. It almost never happens.

#15 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

There is a major difference between not expecting one specific team to win 90+ and expecting all the teams to win fewer than 90.

Expecting someone to win the division with under 90 wins was a silly expectation. It almost never happens.

Expecting is a strong word first of all.

Yep, it almost never happens, but looking at the landscape before the season, it was perfectly reasonable to think it was much more likely to happen this year. It's also silly to quibble between 90 wins and 88 or 89 wins imo.

If you did predictions with win totals, who did you have with at least 92 wins (what you said earlier).

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 89,393 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hardball Times: AL East Division Update June
http://www.hardballt...e-june-edition/

"Count me among those who believe Manny Machado will look like a league-average offensive third baseman the rest of the way."

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 89,393 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

WNST: Who's your favorite in the AL East as July approaches?
http://wnst.net/balt...uly-approaches/

#18 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

http://baltimorespor...wing-each-team/

I take a look at where each team stands in regards to their performance on offense, defense, and pitching while also pondering how each team could perform better and worse.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 64,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Lance, how much is it killing you that the TB offense is performing this well? :)
@BSLRobShields

#20 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Good for them. I certainly didn't expect it - at all. The biggest surprise is that they don't have a solid rotation one through four the way they normally do. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors