298 replies to this topic

#281 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,033 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Putting Harvey in the 2019 plan is a terrible plan. Terrible.

Absolutely no reason to do it and there's no reason to put that kind of expectation on him. He needs to throw innings. Get your innings up and we'll see where things are. it's about repetition and building up arm strength. Apparently you think it only take one limited season to accomplish that.

Again, what is the value of trying to get Harvey to the Majors sooner than later?
You think he's a dominator that is going to lead the team to the playoffs?

No one has said they are planning for him to be in the majors in 2019.

What my point is that you would be a total fool to rule it out.

Health and performance...that's what will dictate where he goes.

100ish innings of health and very good performance in 2018 puts him squarely on the path to being a factor in 2019. Acting like it doesn't is completely foolish.
@BSLRobShields

#282 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

No one has said they are planning for him to be in the majors in 2019.

What my point is that you would be a total fool to rule it out.

Health and performance...that's what will dictate where he goes.

100ish innings of health and very good performance in 2018 puts him squarely on the path to being a factor in 2019. Acting like it doesn't is completely foolish.

Except people ARE talking about him being a factor in 2019, heck, Roch first talked about it for 2018 (reader response), and he's pitched a total of 22 innings since 2014.

How about we let him get that full season of performance and health BEFORE we start labeling that time table.

If he pitches in 2019, great....that should mean you needed a spot starter from AAA or you are using him in the bullpen or he looks ready and you want him to acclimate before the 2020 season.

His projection should certainly impact how you go about putting together a pitching staff in 2018.  It's not really that independent from 2019.  Whereever you project Harvey to pitch in the rotation the bridge should probably be a 2+ or 3+ guy.....or I guess you can wait out the market and sign a series of pitchers to one-year deals that no-one really wants.

You're ready to see him in OPaCY.  I'll wait.

#283 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,033 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Talent will find its way onto the roster.

You don't need to plan anything around Harvey. When he is ready, he will be here.
@BSLRobShields

#284 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,033 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

Chances are if he isn't able to be a factor until 2020, he probably never will be one.
@BSLRobShields

#285 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

Again, what is the value of trying to get Harvey to the Majors sooner than later?  

Winning more baseball games?

I'm not sure why this seems to be such a big issue for you.  For the record, my initial post didn't say that I thought he should be in the rotation at the start of 2019.  I mentioned that he could hopefully help the O's by 2019.  Was thinking more towards later in the year, although if he stays healthy and pitches as well as some hope, I would have no problem with him making the OD roster.  But we're a long long way from that.  Let's get him through next year's ST and on a full season club and see how he looks.  

• BSLRobShields and CA-ORIOLE like this

#286 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

GCL: 0-0, 0.00 ERA, 5 IP, 6 K, 0 BB, 1.20 WHIP

Short A: 0-0, 0.00 ERA, 5 IP, 10 K, 3 BB, 0.80 WHIP

@theoriolereport

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.podbean.com

#287 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

You think Hunter Harvey will be ready to start the season as a Major League starting pitcher without limitations in Spring of 2019.

Is reading comprehension not one of your strong suits.

What I said was there is no reason that Harvey can't be ready in 2019.

Nowhere did I say at the start of the season.

Nowhere did I say anything about not having any restrictions.

But I'll spell it out for you.

1. I believe he COULD be ready out of ST in 2019.

2. I believe its more likely he could start the season in the minors and come up by the ASB.

3. I believe he would probably be on some restrictions.

But NONE of that means that he couldn't help the big club in 2019.

• BSLChrisStoner and CA-ORIOLE like this

#288 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,033 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

What I said was there is no reason that Harvey can't be ready in 2019.

Nowhere did I say at the start of the season.

Nowhere did I say anything about not having any restrictions.

But I'll spell it out for you.

1. I believe he COULD be ready out of ST in 2019.

2. I believe its more likely he could start the season in the minors and come up by the ASB.

3. I believe he would probably be on some restrictions.

But NONE of that means that he couldn't help the big club in 2019.

And more importantly, none of that means its unrealistic to think he could be up in 2019.  Dude is making it seem like it would be some tragic rush job and endanger his future if you do that.  That's an absurd thought.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@BSLRobShields

#289 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,966 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

Maybe you guys talked about this above. When people start making long posts back and forth I sometimes skip over it. I believe Harvey will need to be on the 40 man for '18 to not be exposed to R5. The Os almost surely will put him on it. If hes having enough success and there is no threat of him being removed then he has 3 option years starting in '18. If the train is rolling on him then '19 seems like the logical time at some point in the season to make his MLB debut. If he gets hurt again or isn't performing well then a DFA is likely. I doubt it plays out where he is making his ML debut with the Orioles in '20 or beyond.
  • BSLRobShields and Hooded Viper like this

#290 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,033 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

Steve M:

RHP Hunter Harvey with 3 hitless & scoreless for Delmarva tonight. Has now pitched 6x for 3 teams - 13 IP, 7 hits, 0 runs, 4 BB and 20 Ks.
@BSLRobShields

#291 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

I always find this interesting in that you don't seem to understand the context of the question.

There's actually been (fans/media/boards/here/elsewhere, we've seen it a number of times in the last week or so - without even looking and Buck was asked to comment on it) some level of public discussion about how soon he's ready to help the Orioles.

This is nothing against Harvey, but how many pitchers anywhere in baseball miss basically 3 seasons and show up in the majors ready to have an impact.

I don't question whether Harvey could pitch for the Orioles in 2019.  Maybe they need a spot starter and since he's on the 40, he's an option.  Maybe you need some bullpen innings at some point.  certainly, if things are going well in terms of innings and performance in 2019 you'd expect to see him in September in a minor role.

Rob suggests we should see 100 innings, performance, whatever out him next year.  I agree.  ...and let's table all of the silly talk....like when the Orioles draft DLHall in the draft "because they need pitching"....or the Orioles drafted 3 HS catchers the year before Wieters was a FA and people think that's some bellweather for the Orioles plans wrt Wieters....why feed the absurdity of the position?

It's good to talk about the kid, he's been through some challenges and hopefully back on the path to contributing.....but let's leave it at...."we're glad he's back on the mound.  Development is certainly slowed going trough some of the injury issues he's had, but we're optimistic a lot of that is behind him and we're looking forward to him logging some innings and proving healthy."

I know the Orioles seem to like to pretend they don't manage workload....but they say that WHILE we find out that they have a plan to manage workload.  

You have to control Harvey's innings load in 2018.  You have to.  It's absurd to say anything different.  Shouldn't even be an issue.  The question is ore about HOW you do that.  Personally, I'd start him at A+ and bring him into the game on a regular schedule for the 5th inning.  Let him pitch 2-4 innings in that role, vulture some wins and just get low pressure work in.....should NOT be max effort innings.  If you like everything he's doing there, maybe toward the end of the season you move him to AA and let him get a handful of starts where you stretch him out a little.  

Rob was talking about him starting at AA.  Maybe they do the Tanner Scott thing where he has 21 starts and just 61 innings...they say they are stretching him out as a starter, but that doesn't really seem right.  John Means has 24 starts at AA and 139 innings....that's too much for Harvey next year.....so you can't just make him a starter at AA and let him go.  He;s going to feel OK (you hope), so sometimes it's hard to push back on the kid that wants to go out and push hard and prove something.  I think you have to control that over the short term.

2019....hey, if everything is good.....start at AA/AAA and you're hoping to get to that 150 inning+/- mark.  Be healthy, perform well.  Put yourself on the map by earning you way.  He'd certainly be in line at that point for some possible ML innings if they needed something.  Ideally you should have a plan that leaves him out and let's him get his MiL work in.  Whether he starts in 2020 out of the gate or sometime later in the year would depend on what else you did with the pitching staff.  Hopefully the plan doesn't include him being the stalwart in the rotation.  He should be a contributor, not an anchor.

Again, my only point is that it's absurd to talk about him like he's part of near term (2018, 2019) 'winning when he's pitched 25 competitive innings below A1 in 3 years.

fwiw, I hope he turns out to be an excellent ML pitcher.

#292 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,869 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Steve M:

RHP Hunter Harvey with 3 hitless & scoreless for Delmarva tonight. Has now pitched 6x for 3 teams - 13 IP, 7 hits, 0 runs, 4 BB and 20 Ks.

Call him up! ;) (only half kidding...)

• B00E00N00 likes this

#293 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Hunter Harvey, whose career has been sidetracked by injuries, has been back on the mound in recent weeks, and could build some momentum going into 2018.

http://baltimorespor...road-baltimore/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#294 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

I understand that this statement (below) is not (I think) your position, but take it away from the larger framework of the Harvey discussion and this is (imo) is spot on.

From there, the biggest question on the minds of many will be whether Harvey could find himself in a position to join the Orioles as a late-season callup. For now, it is premature to definitely answer that.

#295 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 92,832 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

MASN: Decision pending on Harvey’s role to begin 2018 season
http://www.masnsport...018-season.html

#296 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,996 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

None of the quotes seem to indicate there is an opportunity for Hunter to begin the year with the big league club, so I'm gonna hope that this is just some bad reporting by Roch, writing an article around his own thesis without any real supporting evidence. 

Because the team even simply considering letting him pitch in Baltimore early in the season would be amongst the most colossally stupid things the organization has done in recent memory.  And that is a tough list to crack.  We're talking a Thriftian level of stupidity.

• dude and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#297 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

None of the quotes seem to indicate there is an opportunity for Hunter to begin the year with the big league club, so I'm gonna hope that this is just some bad reporting by Roch, writing an article around his own thesis without any real supporting evidence. 

Because the team even simply considering letting him pitch in Baltimore early in the season would be amongst the most colossally stupid things the organization has done in recent memory.  And that is a tough list to crack.  We're talking a Thriftian level of stupidity.

I agree and we seem to continue to hear this narrative.  Who started it? ....why would anyone start it? If you are contractually obligated to do something, you do what you have to do....but there are zero reasons for not managing his innings in the minors this year and building up his arm strength.

One of the (several) reasons I like the Dodgers pitching trade I endorse is McCarthy would be here for 2018 plus an option for 2019.  He makes a nice (quality) bridge to HH and there's zero 'get to Baltimore' pressure for him, the organization, the media, anybody.

I wouldn't expect him to be fully stretched out for 2019, but he'd certainly be available to be the 1st starter up after the 2019 ASB.

#298 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 92,832 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

MASN: Hunter Harvey: “I feel like I’m ready to go”
http://www.masnsport...eady-to-go.html

#299 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

MASN: Hunter Harvey: “I feel like I’m ready to go”

The Orioles can’t succumb to the temptation to bring him north when they break camp, no matter how much he impresses.

smh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

\