Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

ESPNTiger Woods announces return date

Tiger Woods, who has been sidelined since March by a back injury, will return to competitive golf next week at the Quicken Loans National.

Woods announced his comeback Friday on his official Facebook page, acknowledging he will be "a bit rusty" at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Maryland.

@levineps

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Anyone going? I went to the US Open in 2011, been to this Tiger tourney atleast once (maybe more?), and I went to the Kemper. If I'm going it will likely be Saturday since my cousin is in town and we're getting together on Sunday. This tournament is better when it's held on 4th of July weekend.

@levineps

#43 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

It's kinda cool having an event so close, especially when it's really important like an Open or something. But Golf is painful enough to watch on TV most of the time, I couldn't imagine watching it in person.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

It's kinda cool having an event so close, especially when it's really important like an Open or something. But Golf is painful enough to watch on TV most of the time, I couldn't imagine watching it in person.

Speaking as someone who doesn't exactly like watching it on TV, I like going a lot more. It's a completely different experience to me. I would highly suggest giving it a try if you can(or another a year).

@levineps

#45 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Speaking as someone who doesn't exactly like watching it on TV, I like going a lot more. It's a completely different experience to me. I would highly suggest giving it a try if you can(or another a year).

It's not fair to be critical when I've never been, so I need to give it a shot at some point... but I just don't think i'd enjoy walking around following a group all day... or staying at the same hole watching the whole field come through all day.

How do you do it when you go?

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

It's not fair to be critical when I've never been, so I need to give it a shot at some point... but I just don't think i'd enjoy walking around following a group all day... or staying at the same hole watching the whole field come through all day.

How do you do it when you go?

I've done both. I try to walk around if you can a little.

For the US Open, we were following Rory, we would walk up two holes ahead after he completed a hole since it was so crowded and tried to get where he'd hit 2nd shot and walk after that to the pin.

Not sure if this is the best analogy here, but I'm more of a casual hockey fan than many people here. However, when I go to Verizon, it's a lot more fun compared to watching on TV. I don't feel that way about baseball or basketball or even football.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@levineps

#47 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Thrilled Tiger is coming back. I'm a big enough fan of the game that I'm watching regardless of whether he's playing, but having a no doubt superstar, even if he might not be in his best form, is good for the game. 

@AdamWolff

#48 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

Woohoo!!
@BSLRobShields

#49 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationNot Cloudy Enough So-Cal

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

^ Agreed. Time to have the Champ come back and reclaim his glory.
  • Adam Wolff likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#50 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Very happy to see him come back, but I wonder how much is tied to his hosting this event.

Would hate to see him get hurt again and miss the last 2 majors in 2014.

I highly doubt he breaks the record now.

@scotk09

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Very happy to see him come back, but I wonder how much is tied to his hosting this event.

Probably somewhat, but I doubt he's risking it if he's not healthy. He's missed this event in the past.

@levineps

#52 211sports

211sports
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

yeah, but it struck me as really odd how I heard big time golf writers predicting he would miss the entire season just before the US Open....and now he's back.

@scotk09

#53 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,878 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

I think a lot. Heard ticket sales were very low and if hes just going out and shaking the rust off, thats enough to get more people out there. Also heard the U.S. Open had is lowest ratings in a long time.
@BSLMikeRandall

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

I think a lot. Heard ticket sales were very low and if hes just going out and shaking the rust off, thats enough to get more people out there. Also heard the U.S. Open had is lowest ratings in a long time.

i got a bunch of living social emails so that's likely the case.

@levineps

#55 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,878 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

i got a bunch of living social emails so that's likely the case.

I know what you mean. Its bad when Maryland basketball tickets are on Groupon.
@BSLMikeRandall

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

I know what you mean. Its bad when Maryland basketball tickets are on Groupon.

My brother and I were talking about that this weekend in terms of restaurants. The thing is you aren't usually saving that much in many cases. Take a $10 for $20 deal for example -- you have to spend $10, then you get taxed, then throw in tip. You end up saving $3-4. That's usually a good case scenario too.

@levineps

#57 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,878 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

My brother and I were talking about that this weekend in terms of restaurants. The thing is you aren't usually saving that much in many cases. Take a $10 for $20 deal for example -- you have to spend $10, then you get taxed, then throw in tip. You end up saving $3-4. That's usually a good case scenario too.

Yeah. Sometimes with services you can find a deal. I got something like 4 oil changes for $50 once. Even after tax it ended up like buy 2 get 2 free.
@BSLMikeRandall

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

And he missed the cut.

@levineps

#59 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

And he missed the cut.

Which should have been expected. The only thing that mattered was him swinging and feeling good and having no ill effects from the surgery...to our knowledge, that was the case.
@BSLRobShields

#60 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

Tiger jarred his back today and had to WD.

Wonder what this means for the PGA?
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors