http://sports.yahoo....2959--golf.html

#2 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Nicklaus certainly has a point, and I agree with a good run of form Woods can catch him. Mind, I'd rather that not happen. I tried at times to be a fan of the guy, but I couldn't. I tuned into golf years before he was on the scene, and there was always something off to me. He's had a great career, but I'd rather see a relative newcomer take off, or someone like Mickelson add a couple more and get in his way.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Sports on Earth: Tiger's major woes are a matter of course
http://www.sportsone...ticle/56766970/

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Grantland: The Burdened Walk: Tiger Woods and the weary pursuit of Jack Nicklaus's record
http://www.grantland...ga-championship

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,920 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'm a big Tiger fan, but he's not catching Jack anymore.  5 years ago I would've said he had a shot at 25, but he's not the same guy anymore.  Age, injuries, and maybe even some mental demons have caught up with him.

I'd be less surprised with him finishing with 14 than with him finishing with 18+ at this point, though I do think he'll win another major or two along the way, just not enough to catch or pass Jack.

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 66,104 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Don't see how you can say he isn't catching Jack...Through 64 majors, they each had 14 wins.

His health seems to be solid right now...Its mental right for him.  he is trying too hard IMO.

I personally think if/when he wins #15, that you could see some kind of a major run...something like 3 out of 10 or thereabouts.

I made the comment on one our recent podcasts that I feel he needs to win at least 1 major out of the next 9 to have a chance to beat the record.....the PGA was 1 of those 9.

I do agree that he is less likely to catch Jack right now vs 5 years ago but I wouldn't say that he has no chance either.

@BSLRobShields

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Phil is what 5 or 6 years older than Tiger? So, you would think that Tiger still has 6-8 years where he is capable of winning majors.

Like Rob, I think the key to Tiger's run is getting his 15th in the next year or so, and getting the first one off his back.

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 66,104 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Phil is what 5 or 6 years older than Tiger? So, you would think that Tiger still has 6-8 years where he is capable of winning majors.

Like Rob, I think the key to Tiger's run is getting his 15th in the next year or so, and getting the first one off his back.

Right...6-8 years of being able to be a top level guy and he may be able to be in contention later...Look at guys like Stricker(46) Miguel Angel Jimenez(49), etc....These guys contend at majors...now, they don't win but they aren't nearly as good as Tiger either.

@BSLRobShields

#9 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,167 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

So yeah, Tiger still has a decent chance because golf isn't that athletic and it's not hard to walk 18 holes, so guys can still be really good in their mid to late 40's.

:lol: ;)

#10 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,960 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

So yeah, Tiger still has a decent chance because golf isn't that athletic and it's not hard to walk 18 holes, so guys can still be really good in their mid to late 40's.

So, how's that Frobby-style posting going for ya? :lol:

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#11 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,167 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

So, how's that Frobby-style posting going for ya? :lol:

I'm really enjoying it.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Golf is a pretty unique sport in that players can have these career years in their 40s. They typically peak much later in many cases than typical athletes. I don't think Tiger will break Jack's record, but I wouldn't no shot.

@levineps

#13 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,960 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

I think Mackus summed up my thoughts to a 'T'. I really don't see it happening at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did get hot again and got there either.

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#14 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

It's still up in the air at this point, but definitely less likely compared to five or even three years ago. Nicklaus won his 15th major at St. Andrews in '78 at age ~38-1/2, after not winning a major since the '75 PGA (though getting nine top-10s [a T-11 at the '76 U.S. the only blemish], including six top-5s and three runner-ups in the intervening 10 majors). Two years later he had his U.S. and PGA double for #16 and #17, then, of course, the '86 Masters to round out his 18.

The current between-major drought Woods is on is a drought Nicklaus never experienced - not even between his final two major titles. Twenty majors elapsed between the '80 PGA and the '86 Masters, with Nicklaus getting seven top-10s, including four top-5s and three runner-ups, at ages 41-45 (he also was cut twice in '85 and withdrew from the '83 Masters). Woods' current drought spans 22 majors, in which he has nine top-10s, including six top-5s and a runner-up at ages 32-37 (he did not play in four events [twice in '08 and '11] and was cut twice).

Can Woods win four majors in the next decade or so, let alone five? Perhaps, but color me unconvinced. I still don't think his presence in majors over his career compares to that of Nicklaus. Woods has had more majors and extended periods where he was out of contention. Over their contending career arcs, Woods has won more Tour tournaments with a better scoring average (I'd like to see a comparative analysis regarding equipment's impact between their eras, and course design changes [and lags in same] to compensate), but Nicklaus seemed better to me at being the best against the best, more consistently, and not just when looking down on Sunday. Woods will need a hell of a resurgence if he wants to upset that apple cart. It's still possible, but not as likely as when he was 23-26 or 29-32. The early-career predictions some made of 10 Green Jackets and 25-30 majors are looking silly at the moment.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 66,104 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

All the second place finishes by Jack were crazy impressive...but the deeper fields now takes some of that away.

@BSLRobShields

#16 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Woods could have won two this year. A ball hit the flagstick at The Masters and instead of landing near the hole, rolled a great distance then cost him 2 strokes. Then Mickleson got the luck of an early start at the final round of the British before the course got real tough when Woods went off.

I could definitely see him getting to 18 or 19 majors.
  • Adam Wolff likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

Forgive me for posing this controversial question. 

Do you think Tiger Woods used steroids in his prime? Check it out.

The guy had his some of his best performances before steroids was newsworthy in sports. He used to be the longest hitter on tour. Not anymore. This is a guy that hit a 6-iron out of a bunker that went 220 yards. You can't do that. No one on tour can. The last few years, seems like Tiger has had numerous injuries. He's a golfer! How often do you get injured walking and hitting a still object? Golfers rarely suffer injury, meaning once in a blue moon a guy might withdraw from a tournament. But this is becoming a bi-annual thing for Tiger. The latest injury, a stiff neck and back from a "soft bed" in his hotel which caused him to pretty much only hit chip shots in a Pro-Am. The guy can't even sleep without suffering injury? Soft bed? Is anyone buying this?

All the tell tale signs are there of using steroids, then getting clean. Strongest player/longest hitter at one point, now his body is just breaking down. A-Rod, Sammy Sosa, many other well known steroid users showed the same pattern as baseball started to try to clean the game up

If Tiger was a baseball player, everyone would be skeptical. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 66,104 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Its possible...Its been mentioned that he and other golfers have taken stuff.

But highlighting a 220 yard shot out of the bunker isn't a big deal.  With the way the equipment is nowadays, all of the pros are doing stuff like that.

They are hitting 3 woods further than people hit driver 15 years ago.

@BSLRobShields

#19 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,960 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Is there any testing in golf?

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

I laughed when I heard his injuries were related to "hotel beds." This is Tiger Woods we're talking about. Is it entirely possible sure. But it's not like he's staying at Motel 6's. Safe to say his beds at the Four Seasons or Ritz Carltons are more comfortable than the beds we sleep in. It sounds more like something a minor league baseball player would say.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors