• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:37 PM

While the rebuild is underway, the extensive youth movement is not necessarily reflected on the current 40-man roster. When looking at the 40-man roster, it is clear that there are some potential building blocks, but that the club still has numerous areas to address going forward.

http://baltimorespor...-40-man-roster/
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:39 PM

We're for sale if you believe some of the pinheads on OH. You can tell it's an off day. LOL

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,946 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

The bigger questions are who needs to go on the 40 man this offseason and who can you easily cut?

For me, on have Hess, Meisinger, Fry, Hart, Yacabonis and Wright, Ynoa

For positional talent..Nunez, Wynns, Wilkerson, Nunez, Peterson, Vielma and Rickard.

Beckham is a NT candidate. Valencia, Gentry and Jones will all likely be gone.

In other words, lots of movement can easily happen on the 40 man.
@BSLRobShields

#4 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:38 PM

Os will need to add Mullins, Tate, Ortiz, Rodgers, Stewart, Kline. Those are the guys for sure. Ill do.more research to see if there are others who arent on now wholl need to be before November.
  • BSLZachSpedden likes this

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,946 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

No need to put a guy like Mountcastle on the 40 Man until you have to....which to me, shouldn’t be before mid april of next year(or when we gain the extra year).
@BSLRobShields

#6 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:35 PM

Os will need to add Mullins, Tate, Ortiz, Rodgers, Stewart, Kline. Those are the guys for sure. Ill do.more research to see if there are others who arent on now wholl need to be before November.

I might explore possible September call-ups in a separate piece, but my gut reaction is that at a minimum Mullins, Rogers, and Stewart will see MLB time later this year. If they are not promoted to Baltimore by then, the other three are definitely going to be placed on the 40-man during the offseason.  

#7 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,992 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

Trying to evaluate the 40 man for next year without knowing who will be rule 5 eligible, thus needing protection, seems like missing a pretty big piece of the puzzle.  Anyone have a clue who might need to be protected?

@fuzydunlop

#8 BSLZachSpedden

BSLZachSpedden

Orioles MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

No need to put a guy like Mountcastle on the 40 Man until you have to....which to me, shouldn’t be before mid april of next year(or when we gain the extra year).

Exactly, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's later in the season. The extra time in the minors (presumably Norfolk) wouldn't hurt Mountcastle, and I don't know if the Orioles will be in a rush if they're bad out of the gate. 

#9 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:43 AM

Trying to evaluate the 40 man for next year without knowing who will be rule 5 eligible, thus needing protection, seems like missing a pretty big piece of the puzzle. Anyone have a clue who might need to be protected?

Thats what I was doing above. Starting that list of players who'll be R5 eligible in November if the aren't added to the 40 man. I just didnt word it well. Im not sure on Diaz. Was he signed in '14 or '15.

• McNulty likes this

#10 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:00 AM

Thats what I was doing above. Starting that list of players who'll be R5 eligible in November who arent currently on the 40 man.. I just didnt word it well. Im not sure on Diaz. Was he signed in '14 or '15. If '14 I think he'll be R5 eligible as well

Diaz wont be R5 eligible in November. He signed in Nov '15. The names listed above, minus Rogers, are 5 guys on our Top 30 MLB Pipeline list who are R5 eligible in Novemeber if they arent added to the 40 man. Ill do a deeper dive in the organization to see if there are any other interesting names that pop up who'll be R5 eligible that the Os might consider adding

• Mackus likes this

#11 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:51 AM

Luis Gonzalez is also very likely to be added by November.

Some others who are eligible and have either had some decent success in the minors or are former Top 15 organizational prospects are:

Drew Dosch
Mike Yastrzemski
John Means
Jomar Reyes
Brain Gonzalez
Ofelky Peralta

#12 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 554 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

Luis Gonzalez is also very likely to be added by November.
Some others who are eligible and have either had some decent success in the minors or are former Top 15 organizational prospects are:
Drew Dosch
Mike Yastrzemski
John Means
Jomar Reyes
Brain Gonzalez
Ofelky Peralta

These guys are symptom of a failed organization from top to bottom. Time to move on from that group, in my opinion.

#13 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:37 AM

These guys are symptom of a failed organization from top to bottom. Time to move on from that group, in my opinion.

Dosch might be called up in Sept but I agree that I dont think any of the others will be added. Was just throwing out names.

#14 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

No kidding. MIke Yax is a career .260 hitter in the minors and is 27 years old. Seriuosly, O's???

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,463 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:50 AM

No kidding. MIke Yax is a career .260 hitter in the minors and is 27 years old. Seriuosly, O's???

He's not on the 40-man roster. 

There are way more minor league roster spots than there are prospects with hope remaining.  They (and every other MLB team) would have to fold some affiliates if they got rid of all the Mike Yazstremski's.

#16 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:58 AM

We're for sale if you believe some of the pinheads on OH. You can tell it's an off day. LOL

That doesn't sound all that outrageous to me. Angelos is old and not in great health, and it seems reasonable to think that his sons might want to cash out when they eventually inherit the team.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

That doesn't sound all that outrageous to me. Angelos is old and not in great health, and it seems reasonable to think that his sons might want to cash out when they eventually inherit the team.

Not outrageous at all. IMO we just saw a firesale with the main purpose being to slash payroll. You usually slash payroll before you sell.

#18 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:09 AM

He's not on the 40-man roster. 

There are way more minor league roster spots than there are prospects with hope remaining.  They (and every other MLB team) would have to fold some affiliates if they got rid of all the Mike Yazstremski's.

Perhaps that's exactly what they should be doing....put that money to more effective use such as international scouting. If AAA teams are paying for themselves then I guess who cares but its been a complaint of mine with the O's for a long time. They just seem to have a really hard time letting go of players (Nolan Reimold comes to mind).

And I get that he isn't on the 40....

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,463 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

"They have a AAA affiliate" would be the strangest complaint about the O's I've ever heard.

#20 weird-O

weird-O
  • Members
  • 349 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

Judging by their increased involvement over the recent years, it seems unlikely that they're prepping to sell. Not impossible, but still less likely than their planning to maintain their share of the team. Which leads to the broader ownership group. Do any of the others want to increase their percentage of ownership? I would imagine they'd have right of first refusal.

Rhetorically speaking, unless someone knows how these things work, in a scenario where the Angelos family wants to sell, and none of the other stakeholders want to increase their percentage of the team, how is a new majority owner brought in? Does MLB have any say in the matter, since there are other existing owners? Seems messy.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners