#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,398 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:23 PM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...diate-reaction/

Ongoing notes of mine throughout the game. Review, discuss, enjoy. 

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLChrisBacon, DuffMan and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:50 PM

Perriman still sucks

#3 mdrunning

mdrunning
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:12 AM

Not that I watched, but the best result of tonight's game was zero injuries. That's what you really want out of the preseason.

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:36 AM

Perriman still sucks

He was reminding everyone that he can't catch in case they forgot.

#5 Steve55

Steve55
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:45 AM

With this new helmet rule they need to include a guy upstairs to look at the calls. Some are bang bang plays and the ref on the field see's it quickly. Slowing it down might show the shoulder made contact 1st. which it appeared to do last night.

#6 Steve55

Steve55
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:46 AM

I thought they would have at least thrown one long pass. Wanted to see Jackson's arm.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#7 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:16 AM

I thought RGIII and Correa had the best games. RGIII still has some zip. I mean he’s 27, so he should still have it.

Jackson flashed some stuff, looked raw elsewhere.

#8 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:17 AM

With this new helmet rule they need to include a guy upstairs to look at the calls. Some are bang bang plays and the ref on the field see's it quickly. Slowing it down might show the shoulder made contact 1st. which it appeared to do last night.

Agree. This rule could kill the game imo.

You’re already dealing with the kneeling, decreased attendance and ratings and you introduce a game changing rule now? Not good.

#9 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

I thought RGIII and Correa had the best games. RGIII still has some zip. I mean he’s 27, so he should still have it.

Jackson flashed some stuff, looked raw elsewhere.

RG3 didn't look frail like he seemed to after the original injury.  Made some good throws too.

#10 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:55 AM

I see Mike you dinged Tim White a bit for letting the ball drop on the punt, but I thought he had some real nice catches in the game.  A couple were contested which you always love to see and if RGIII hadn't thrown the ball behind him on his slant over the middle he takes that for about 50 yards for the TD.  Good start for him.

I thought Jackson flashed but was not impressed with his throwing motion.  He has a long way to go. 

#11 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:50 AM

Jackson looked quick when he ran. Which was too often of course. His side arm motion will get batted down a lot at the line. One of the first times he took off he got brought down awkwardly near the sideline in a very old RG3 manner, which of course isn't good for your health. That was a play you could see him going for 20 more yards in college, but NFL defenders closed on him quick.

Dude averaged 6+ YPC on over 17 carries per game in college. Those are RB numbers. It's not going to work long term in the NFL. He'll make some big highlight reel plays with his speed but inevitably taking off 16+ times a game in the NFL will kill a QB's career quick. And as I've always said, in a close game late when you need to drive the ball to score, those tired legs and the wear and tear of getting hit hard 20 times has an impact on a QB's accuracy when throwing.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,946 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

Gordon McGuiness:

Most interesting takeaway for me from last night's game was how Kamalei Correa was used. 33 of his defensive snaps were on the edge compared with just 4 at ILB. Only saw a handful of snaps at edge defender in 2017.
@BSLRobShields

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,946 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

LJ isn’t close to a starting NFL QB right now.
@BSLRobShields

#14 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,420 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

That accuracy isn't going to improve guys. Not happening. Sticking my draft night rage on that pick. Upside isn't actually upside if the one flaw is that fatal. 

• fishteacher likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#15 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:23 AM

Gordon McGuiness:

Most interesting takeaway for me from last night's game was how Kamalei Correa was used. 33 of his defensive snaps were on the edge compared with just 4 at ILB. Only saw a handful of snaps at edge defender in 2017.

Imagine that. Using a guy you drafted as an edge guy on the edge.
  • fishteacher and BSLMikeRandall like this

#16 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

Was hoping he looked much better against 3rd and 4th string players. The OL also did him no favors.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:38 AM

Neither is Flacco. Zing.

#18 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

Jackson looked quick when he ran. Which was too often of course. His side arm motion will get batted down a lot at the line. One of the first times he took off he got brought down awkwardly near the sideline in a very old RG3 manner, which of course isn't good for your health. That was a play you could see him going for 20 more yards in college, but NFL defenders closed on him quick.

Dude averaged 6+ YPC on over 17 carries per game in college. Those are RB numbers. It's not going to work long term in the NFL. He'll make some big highlight reel plays with his speed but inevitably taking off 16+ times a game in the NFL will kill a QB's career quick. And as I've always said, in a close game late when you need to drive the ball to score, those tired legs and the wear and tear of getting hit hard 20 times has an impact on a QB's accuracy when throwing.

To be fair, a lot of his runs were designed QB runs. Its not like he was dropping back and running on passing plays. I can see him around 10 Carry's a game. You could see how much faster he was then everyone else last night. When he takes off, it's a long TD waiting to happen. With that said, he needs to become a passer first. Teams have to respect his ability to thrown before running lanes open up.

#19 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

That accuracy isn't going to improve guys. Not happening. Sticking my draft night rage on that pick. Upside isn't actually upside if the one flaw is that fatal.

That's fine. I actually like the opposite reaction. It opens eyes to his weaknesses that a bias fan may be ignoring.

With that said, I think his accuracy has a chance to improve, at least slightly, by consistently using proper mechanics.

One thing going unmentioned from last night with Jackson, was his use of a consistent, wider base, and how when he did pass on a timing route, he was releasing as soon as his back foot hit the top of his drop. Both huge improvements from his college days. Being able to change mechanics that quickly, and use them consistently in live reps is a huge step. No doubt he's a bit uncomfortable, using completely different motions from under center. The more he plays the less he'll have to think about it, and the more he'll focus on other things. I think when he becomes 100% comfortable with his new mechanics, you'll see some progress with his accuracy.

Overall, I'll take the HR threat with the legs, and a 58% completion rate, vs a statue and a 64% percentage. His ability outside of the pocket, will completely change how a defense plays. That's a huge advantage.

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

It’s one game with a reserve O line. I’ll reserve judgement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners