#1 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

Mike and I discuss a few topics heading into TC.

http://baltimorespor...aining-camp-qa/

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B, jkough1 and 1 other like this
@gabefergy

#2 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

I think RGIII stays, he's your back up next season after we cut Joe loose. Makes too much sense. IF Jackson were to get hurt, RGIII gives you a similar skillset. You can run the same offense.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,215 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

I think RGIII stays, he's your back up next season after we cut Joe loose. Makes too much sense. IF Jackson were to get hurt, RGIII gives you a similar skillset. You can run the same offense.

That's assuming they cut Joe loose. 

I have some issues with RG3 being the lone backup. He was electric for one season, 6 years ago. He's not the guy we think Lamar Jackson can be anymore. RG3 was miserable for couple seasons, and then unemployed for a whole season. I'd bet his tank is empty and signing him was just a way to bring in a cheap back up. They had no idea they would be able to draft Jackson when they signed him. I think it's a matter of coincidence that they're both here. 

I bet RG3 doesn't see week 1, barring injury.

• jkough1 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

We're talking about the RG3 that was unrosterable in the entire NFL last year? And we're talking about how he's the backup NEXT season already? Can't he not play for us this year and still be our backup next year? If we cut him again and no one signs him, would anyone take him in 2019? Was there any other demand for his services at all? 

First, let's see if he can actually stay healthy. Second, let's see if he can actually play in the preseason. Third, let's take a look at how the roster crunch comes down. I'd cut him before Week 1 and then bring him back on a non-guaranteed contract regardless. 

The roster is still the most interesting part of TC for me. 

ST: 3 Koch, Tucker, Cox

Offense: 22 locks QB: Flacco, Jackson, HB: Collins, Dixon, Allen, WR: Crabtree, Snead, Brown, Moore, Lasley, Scott, TE: Hurst, Andrews, Boyle, OL: Stanley, Hurst, Yanda, Lewis, Zeus, Skura, Bozeman, Eluemunor

Defense: 22 DL: Williams, Pierce, Davis, Henry, Urban, Wormley, LB: Suggs, ZDS, Judon, Bowser, Williams, Mosley, Onwuasor, Young, CB: Humphrey, Smith, Carr, Young, Canady, Weddle, Jefferson, Clark 

That's 47 roster spots that are all but locked. 

For six more remaining spots you've got: Williams, Averett, Elliott, Kaufusi, Correa, Ricard, Nacua are 7 guys that are draft picks that likely won't make it to the PS or guys on the roster last year. I'd say Elliott, Averett and Williams are near locks. So now you only have 3 spots left for Kaufusi, Correa, Ricard and Nacua. 2 if you give RG3 a roster spot. I think Bradley or McClellan makes the team, too. So that's now just one spot for those 4 guys. 

And to that point you haven't even considered Mayle, Perriman, White, Levine, or an undrafted guy. And you assume that Senat, Sieler, Hill and Siragusa all land on some variation of PUP or PS. The former group here can all go, and that won't be a huge loss. 

Ultimately you're still choosing three spots from 8 guys RG3, Kaufusi (3rd), Correa (2nd), a starting FB and two-way player, Bradley or McClellan, Nacua or Levine. And assuming you're already cutting bait on a former 1st round pick in the process, too. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#5 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

He can still be the backup in 2019 if they let him go in 2018.
  • jkough1 likes this
@gabefergy

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 98,653 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

I feel more excited about this coming Ravens season than I have been in years.

• Mike B likes this

#7 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

I feel more excited about this coming Ravens season than I have been in years.

Im sure you said the same thing last year. All the potential Ravens excitement this year is tied to Jackson and his role

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 98,653 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

bnickle, on 03 Jul 2018 - 16:18, said:
Im sure you said the same thing last year. All the potential Ravens excitement this year is tied to Jackson and his role

Ehh. I mean even when I'm not real enthusiastic about my teams, there are things I'm interested in watching. That's the general vested interest. That isn't the same as being enthused. I have had a general malaise with the Ravens for sometime.

I was excited about the defense's potential last year, but the overall lack of offensive weapons, combined with Joe's back had me very meh.

I'm excited about Jackson, and looking forward to seeing how he is used this year, and how things progress in-terms of his development towards likely '19 starter... but it's not why I'm more interested this year.

I still don't think there are enough difference makers (not just offense) on the roster to be an elite team, but I do think there is enough quality on both sides of the ball to be a playoff team.

More importantly there is more youth on the roster overall that I'm encouraged about.

#9 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

That's assuming they cut Joe loose.

I have some issues with RG3 being the lone backup. He was electric for one season, 6 years ago. He's not the guy we think Lamar Jackson can be anymore. RG3 was miserable for couple seasons, and then unemployed for a whole season. I'd bet his tank is empty and signing him was just a way to bring in a cheap back up. They had no idea they would be able to draft Jackson when they signed him. I think it's a matter of coincidence that they're both here.

I bet RG3 doesn't see week 1, barring injury.

Issues with RGIII were tied mostly to his health. He's always had a good arm. He's accurate enough. People act like he completely forgot how to throw a football. I'm not saying he's coming back and going to be a stud starter. I'm saying the logical thing next year would be to cut Flacco, start Jackson, and have a QB with a similar skillset as his back-up so you don't have to completely change your offense if you lose Jackson.

Now, could you cut him and bring him back next season, sure. I could see that. But I'll be extremely surprised if we keep Flacco next year knowing we have a 1st round, potential stud waiting behind him, and knowing we could save 18.5 million by letting him go.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

Really good read guys.

A couple of things.

1.  Bowser - I agree with Mike, I think this kid could pay dividends this year.  I don't know that he was un-impressive last year, he was not given a chance to grow into the role.  I think Wink finds ways to get him on the field more this year and I think Bowser makes some impact plays.  

2. Offense-  I think our offense started playing better the second half last year.  Many choose to ignore it, but I think the Oline will be good again, which will allow the 3 running backs to all be very effective.  I think the receivers if healthy will do much better than last year.

3. Marty-  He gets a lot of heat, some certainly deserved, but I think this year the offense is a shared responsibility.  Roman will be more involved in the total offense, and I think he is a very good coach.

I always look at things through purple glasses, but I am excited about this team. The schedule is tough, but I think if they stay healthy, they are going to be up to the task.  

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners