291 replies to this topic

#281 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,084 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:21 PM

Ok you don't like soccer. But now you look silly. Germany controlled the game. Sweden played too defensively the second half and allowed Germany too many chances. What was rigged about that?

Sweden not getting that PK in the 1st half. Every game getting at least 5 minutes extra time which is nuts. No goals, no injuries, 5 minutes. 3 goals, 6 subs, 5 minutes. Maybe there are rules on how many people can be on a "wall" but Sweden put just two guys in front of the kicker on the game winner. Two. Other games I see what looks like 18 guys in front.

It's the easiest sport to fix. Its been caught fixing. Its in Russia, where they don't play soccer but look as good as Belgium has looked. It's fixed. 100%.

They have to get the top teams through. Even if it means paying off lesser teams like the Swedes to take a dive even playing against 10!! Brazil got what, 9 minutes extra time yesterday?

I know you played, you're a great great dude and all. But on this level in this country, the fixes are 100% in.
@BSLMikeRandall

#282 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Sweden not getting that PK in the 1st half. Every game getting at least 5 minutes extra time which is nuts. No goals, no injuries, 5 minutes. 3 goals, 6 subs, 5 minutes. Maybe there are rules on how many people can be on a "wall" but Sweden put just two guys in front of the kicker on the game winner. Two. Other games I see what looks like 18 guys in front.

It's the easiest sport to fix. Its been caught fixing. Its in Russia, where they don't play soccer but look as good as Belgium has looked. It's fixed. 100%.

They have to get the top teams through. Even if it means paying off lesser teams like the Swedes to take a dive even playing against 10!! Brazil got what, 9 minutes extra time yesterday?

I know you played, you're a great great dude and all. But on this level in this country, the fixes are 100% in.

Ok then one simple question. Why didn't the US qualify if the fix is in? We ARE the largest TV audience especially when it comes to attracting commercial money.

#283 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 97,475 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:51 PM

ESPN: Why does the Premier League feature so many stoppage-time goals?
http://www.espn.com/...her-top-leagues

This article shows what the average length of stoppage time is in the top flight Euro leagues, and how often there are goals in that time.

Nothing going on in the World Cup which differs from there.

#284 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,295 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted Yesterday, 05:09 PM

No US, no Italy, no Holland. No fix.
@BSLRobShields

#285 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted Yesterday, 05:39 PM

Just saying, Panama and Tunisia were second and third worst odds to win the world cup. Everyone should have had their way with them like Belgium did. Belgium hasn't been tested yet. Game with England should be a good one...if I still have a few bucks left to put on it before I resort to "this is dumb" and turn it off.

I will say though. The games being on in the morning/afternoon have made it easier to have on in the background while doing other things. Can't say I'd be paying much attention if the games were in prime time slots while other things have my attention.

The reason for that is the teams in their group. Not their quality. Stay in your end of the pool my man.

@fuzydunlop

#286 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,006 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted Yesterday, 05:45 PM

OHHHHH SHIT RANDALL IS PISSING IN YOUR SOCCER POOL

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#287 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted Yesterday, 05:49 PM

OHHHHH SHIT RANDALL IS PISSING IN YOUR SOCCER POOL

You are allowed in zero pools including gene.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

@fuzydunlop

#288 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,006 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:54 PM

You are allowed in zero pools including gene.

Not what your mom said Ho.

@bopper33

#289 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 97,475 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:58 PM

ESPN:

#290 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted Yesterday, 07:33 PM

When I was coaching in our competitive youth program, one of the things we stressed to kids all the time as danger zones were the last couple of minutes of each half.  I have seen this so many times that it defies logic but the affect is real. For whatever reason the first couple of minutes and the last couple of minutes of each half see a disportianate rate of goal scoring. Now some of that, especially in the second half, is explained just by watching the Germany - Sweden match. Germany knew that although they still had a potential path to advance that a draw was likely not going to cut it. That would have them sitting on one point. So had they then won their last match they would have been sitting on four.

Mexico is already in sitting on six points and Sweden would have been sitting on four. That means that Mexico and Sweden could rest their starters and just let the match play out. Sweden advances with a draw shutting out Germany regardless of they did in their final match. The only scenario that Germany could still have advanced was by winning and hoping that Mexico beat Sweden. The logic there being that winning the group lets them avoid Brazil. But Sweden is in the same boat. They would want to avoid Brazil to but they also would run a risk of pressing too much and giving up a counter and losing thereby creating a path for Germany. So all things considered Sweden likely is happy with a draw.

Germany knows this scenario and recognizes that they really need to win. So they press and they press. Look how many chances they had in the last 5 minutes of regulation. When they got to extra time they kept pushing and frankly I was amazed they hadn't scored sooner even a man down. Often times in a match like that either the pressing team scores or the team trying to weather the storm gets a counter and its game over.

So there is some rationale why you see so much scoring in extra time. However, even that doesn't seem to account for the seemingly high amount of scoring that occurs in extra time. I suspect there is some psychological affect at play?

#291 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,006 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:38 PM

France gon’ win this thing.

@bopper33

#292 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,084 posts

Posted Today, 12:31 AM

From 2014

NY Times: Fixed Soccer Matches Cast Shadow Over World Cup

Fixers are attracted to soccer because of the action it generates on the vast and largely unregulated Asian betting markets. And if executed well, a fixed soccer match can be hard to detect. Players can deliberately miss shots; referees can eject players or award penalty kicks; team officials can outright tell players to lose a match.

Sports on Earth: There is a History of Match Fixing at the World Cup

In February 2012, FIFPro, the worldwide union of professional soccer players, released the results of a survey of thousands of its members from Eastern and Southern Europe. The numbers were shocking, as almost a quarter of the players (23.6 percent) admitted to being aware of match fixing in their respective leagues. Nearly 45 percent of respondents in Russia (home to the 2018 World Cup) answered similarly. Even worse, approximately 12 percent of players admitted to being approached to fix a match.

The root cause for much of this corruption is the non-payment of players. Few soccer fans realize that athletes don't necessarily get paid to play in the World Cup. FIFA hands the money that's intended to go to the athletes to the executives of each national team. This cash is then to be transferred to the players. Of course, given the state of corruption within FIFA, what is supposed to happen often differs greatly from what does happen, nationalism be damned.

This year:

AP: FIFA Drops Saudi Referee From World Cup After Fixing Ban

FIFA has dropped referee Fahad Al Mirdasi from the World Cup after he was banned from football for life in Saudi Arabia over match fixing.

The Saudi Arabian Football Federation said two weeks ago that Fahad Al Mirdasi asked for money to help a team win a cup final.

Naive to think the trustworthy group know as FIFA is catching and punishing everyone. Also naive to think only one referee from a place with no morals would be willing to do such a thing for financial gain. Plenty of other refs from plenty of other places that could use a couple hundred grand and have no moral high ground to do the right thing. If 23.6% of players "admit" to knowing match fixing exists, and 12% "admit" to being approached to fix a match, the real number of players in on the take is likely much higher. 

Why isn't the US, Italy in the tournament? Have to ask them. Did someone throw their qualifiers? Shady refs in other games created the perfect storm where US was like 95% to make it but ended up out? The odds on the US missing the tournament that night might have paid off huge.

If it's about TV ratings, the US is a melting pot. People living in America represent every country in the tournament. People in this country will always watch. But do you think anyone in Russia, Nigeria, Brazil, give a damn about seeing Clint Dempsey or Landon Donovan (or whoever is on the team these days?) Globally, the World Cup ratings aren't likely to be down with the US not making it. Globally, people want to see Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, the defending champs, maybe the host country. Not, I don't know...Sweden? Costa Rica?  

In the link Chris posted it mentions there were 68 extra time goals (2nd half) in the EPL. 380 games. So roughly 17.9% of games are going to have one. In this tournament there has been 12 goals after the 90 minute mark in 29 games. Or roughly 41.4% of the games. Small sample size? Maybe. There has also been 7 of em in the last 6 games. Commentators have mentioned the absurd amount of penalty kicks that have been awarded. Although they missed a bad one today that Sweden needed and should have gotten.

A ton of extra time goals? A ton of penalty kicks? Pretty much all of them benefiting the favorite. Am I the only one who smells something rotten here? 

Look. End of the day, I got a handful of friends who love soccer, EPL, MLS, anything. I tried to get into the world cup for once. But I just can't. What I see from some of these games, from the best talent in the world, looks down right like a fix is in at times. Penalty kick goes flying 20 feet over the goal. Top notch players swing and miss right in front of the net. On the other hand teams playing super conservative all of sudden become a sieve with 5 minutes to play. Own goals 6 minutes into extra time. Think about it. There is a ton of money bet on this high profile event. Draws pay out more than the favorite winning does.  99 draws in 380 EPL games last season. 26% of the games end in a draw. World Cup has seen 4 in 29 games. 13.8%. And half these teams "want to draw", right? 

Something isn't adding up. 

I won't hijack your thread anymore. Enjoy the games. 

@BSLMikeRandall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Pedro Cerrano

Partners