https://russellstree...-win-back-fans/

#2 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

I think they really just need to start winning and play exciting football. Drafting Jackson shows you they’re trying to do that. I haven’t sold my tickets, and I’m looking forward to this season.

It sounds like you’ll never be able to win back the people upset over the kneeling stuff and at this point you have to wonder if you even want them back if they abandon you at the drop of a knee.
  • BSLGabeFerguson likes this

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,463 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

Just win baby.  All the rest is noise.

• The Epic and DJ MC like this

#4 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

Just win baby.  All the rest is noise.

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:28 AM

We discussed many things – some good, some not so good. But by far, the overriding topic, one still stuck in the collective craw of Ravens fans, is the player protests. The scar runs deep and I sense that fans will eventually let it go – but they’ll never forget.

09-last-week-tonight.w1200.h630.jpg

• Mackus likes this
You can bet on the numbers, or you can bet on Buck Showalter.

#6 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

We discussed many things – some good, some not so good. But by far, the overriding topic, one still stuck in the collective craw of Ravens fans, is the player protests. The scar runs deep and I sense that fans will eventually let it go – but they’ll never forget.

09-last-week-tonight.w1200.h630.jpg

I agree, and I don't want to get political, but based on the way those people who left football lean on politics and their personal beliefs, they won't be missed.

And they'll be back as soon as the Ravens make the playoffs again. Believe that.

• Mike B and DuffMan like this

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,634 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:53 AM

I have said before, not going to the games became some badge of honor.

I think the attendance at the last game was probably 40% protest, related and the rest, the weather and the fact the game was moved to a later time on New Years Eve.

FYI...they do not have to win me back.  I was one who froze my ass off, right to the bitter end, my season tickets are paid, and I can't wait to the new season.

@mikeghg

#8 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

I agree, and I don't want to get political, but based on the way those people who left football lean on politics and their personal beliefs, they won't be missed.

And they'll be back as soon as the Ravens make the playoffs again. Believe that.

Ignorant money is still money. But the NFL makes so much money...they'll be back before they really feel it. 

There's some people that sold/gave away their PSLs that will be kicking themselves in short order.

• Mike B likes this

#9 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:31 AM

Ignorant money is still money. But the NFL makes so much money...they'll be back before they really feel it. 

There's some people that sold/gave away their PSLs that will be kicking themselves in short order.

Yeah they're idiots.

I still can't believe this caused so much of an uproar.

• The Epic likes this

#10 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

I have said before, not going to the games became some badge of honor.

I think the attendance at the last game was probably 40% protest, related and the rest, the weather and the fact the game was moved to a later time on New Years Eve.

FYI...they do not have to win me back.  I was one who froze my ass off, right to the bitter end, my season tickets are paid, and I can't wait to the new season.

As someone who no longer lives in MD, it is difficult for me to judge these types of things. Just curious what you are basing this 40% off? Talking to people? radio? message boards?

@gabefergy

#11 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

As far as I am concerned it's good riddance if folks are too buttheart over a peaceful protest to attend games. Fake-ass fans that I hope never come back.

@gabefergy

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 99,459 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

As someone who no longer lives in MD, it is difficult for me to judge these types of things. Just curious what you are basing this 40% off? Talking to people? radio? message boards?

It's hard to assign percentages without speaking to every individual; but the 40% estimate seems reasonable.  There were other factors, but judging social media, radio, etc at the time.... for a sizable percentage of the fanbase, that was the stated primary reason.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,946 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

Is the impact of protests this big in other cities?

Why did the Ravens fans take this so personally?

Do the Ravens have more vets as fans than any other team?  More vet families that are season ticket holders?

It just seems like its so heightened here but maybe that's just because I am here and hear about it.

@BSLRobShields

#14 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

Do the Ravens have more vets as fans than any other team?  More vet families that are season ticket holders?

It just seems like its so heightened here but maybe that's just because I am here and hear about it.

I know it's low-hanging fruit, but...The Eagles were probably the most active people in the league from this standpoint, and suffered not one bit. 

Pittsburgh barely saw much movement. 

I'm honestly trying to think of any other -decent- team that suffered significantly. 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#15 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,992 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

Do the Ravens have more vets as fans than any other team? More vet families that are season ticket holders?

Vets aren’t against it and never were.
  • BSLMikeLowe, The Epic, DJ MC and 2 others like this

@fuzydunlop

#16 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

3 issues that dont necessarily overlap that led to the fans staying away

1. First and foremost the product is/was stale.

2. The safety of driving into and being in the city. Same problem the Os are facing now.

3. The protests during the anthem

Again there is going to be a lot of overlap with these 3 but not complete overlap. Especially because of number 1. Put an exciting team on the field and people will be there on Sundays

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,946 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

Vets aren’t against it and never were.

Plenty were...plenty weren't.

@BSLRobShields

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,946 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:43 PM

3 issues that dont necessarily overlap that led to the fans staying away

1. First and foremost the product is/was stale.

2. The safety of driving into and being in the city. Same problem the Os are facing now.

3. The protests during the anthem

Again there is going to be a lot of overlap with these 3 but not complete overlap. Especially because of number 1. Put an exciting team on the field and people will be there on Sundays

#1 is the biggest issue.  There is no doubt.

NFL in general has seen a drop in attendance.  There are just so many factors.

But it just seems like the Ravens fan base, for whatever reason, took this really personal....and what is really funny to me is that when the Ravens kneeled, it was more of opposing Trumps' words than anything else.  They didn't kneel any other time.

@BSLRobShields

#19 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

I don't know if was a coincidence but there were plenty of pics of empty stadiums at kickoff all over the NFL this year. It's definitely affected other cities.

What is unique to Baltimore, I think, is that they took the knee in London. Combine that with the all-out shit show that was that game, and then kneeling again when they came back against Pittsburgh and looking like crap that game too. It was the pathetic performance combined with the political stance.

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,946 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

Oh that's right, there was some kneeling vs Pitt too.  I forgot about that.

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners