#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,053 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

So Andrew Steka actually does a decent job in the article of pointing out what's wrong with the thought, although the title of the post leaves you thinking firing Showalter actually solves a problem?  Really?  Which problem?

Pointing out what's going out there in the 'blogosphere' seems like a great reason to ignore it.  Do you get a real voice because you have a phone or a computer?  Everyone has the right to their opinion.  You don't have a right to be right.

Comical that JTrea is the first comment in on the article.

Every hire is typically going to get fired (or not re-hired) at some point.  It's the nature of the business (and not just baseball).

That's fine on it's face, but you need to find someone that actually improves the situation.  

Buck doesn't have a magic wand.  He's gotten way more wins out of the last 7 years of this team than they were built for.  If he wants to go away or move up or whatever, you find a replacement because you're going to have a Manager.....but Buck will never be the issue we should care about until this Organization starts to operate like a Winning is something they actually care about.

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 70,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

Buck has no business making personnel decisions but he is far from a problem.

Now, if he is forcing his opinions on the organization and demanding they listen to him, that would be different. I doubt that is the case though.

No need for me to read the article but dude saying Trea had the first comment is pure gold.
@BSLRobShields

#4 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,171 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

As a fan, Buck is unfireable for me. You can part ways, but do it with class. And not in season.
  • Mike B and DuffMan like this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 70,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

As a fan, Buck is unfireable for me. You can part ways, but do it with class. And not in season.

1000%.

If he legit wants to leave in the middle of the year, so be it.

But you don’t fire him during the season.

You just don’t renew his contract.
@BSLRobShields

#6 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,083 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:34 PM

Firing Buck isnt a thing. Who is this goof writing these articles.

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

Going a different way here, and I don't think its time. But if the O's continue to play poor baseball then I think you have to make some changes and in sports that starts with the Manager or the GM. Its simply unacceptable to me to go through this entire year performing like crap and not making changes. Now I hope they turn it around. But at some point if they don't you can't continue on the same path. Hopefully they would show DD the door but Buck has to be on the hot seat if this keeps up.

But we are just a bunch of rabid fans. None of us really know what is going on behind the scenes as to how much influence Buck has. Are Buck and DD really on different pages? Is DD setting the major philosophical direction for going after players? Is Brady really in charge?

Without really knowing what is happening its impossible to know where the changes should really happen.

#8 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:54 PM

I agree Buck is not fireable. But he needs to be out of the personnel decision making from now on. His favorites and hand picked players have been terrible and are a large part why we are where we are.

#9 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,083 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

I agree Buck is not fireable. But he needs to be out of the personnel decision making from now on. His favorites and hand picked players have been terrible and are a large part why we are where we are.

This is wrong. This is Trea Kool Aid shit.

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,708 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

I’ll never forgive him making Tillman suck the other day by starting Joseph at catcher Lolol
  • BSLRobShields likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:11 PM

Exactly correct.

@mikeghg

#12 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

Going a different way here, and I don't think its time. But if the O's continue to play poor baseball then I think you have to make some changes and in sports that starts with the Manager or the GM. Its simply unacceptable to me to go through this entire year performing like crap and not making changes. Now I hope they turn it around. But at some point if they don't you can't continue on the same path. Hopefully they would show DD the door but Buck has to be on the hot seat if this keeps up.

But we are just a bunch of rabid fans. None of us really know what is going on behind the scenes as to how much influence Buck has. Are Buck and DD really on different pages? Is DD setting the major philosophical direction for going after players? Is Brady really in charge?

Without really knowing what is happening its impossible to know where the changes should really happen.

The team isn't performing like crap because they are being managed poorly.  They are performing like crap because they suck.  Firing Buck doesn't fix that.  They currently have 2 corner OFers who can't really hit.  The 1B is as lost as I've ever seen a hitter be.  The DH is apparently designated for a task he's incapable of performing.  And, there's no pitching outside of Bundy/Cashner.

Firing the manager mid-season is a way to try and save an under-performing team.  This team is performing right where they should be.

• Ricker Says, Mike B and DuffMan like this

#13 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

This is wrong. This is Trea Kool Aid shit.

He lobbied for Rasmus for a while. Wanted him in 2015.

Was fine with Tillman coming back, and starting him during his "21 starts without a win" stretch.

Wanted Trumbo back last year. Stuck with Reimold longer than he should have. Ran Ubaldo out there when he should have been cut long ago.

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 70,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

Can’t put Ubaldo on him
@BSLRobShields

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

The team isn't performing like crap because they are being managed poorly.  They are performing like crap because they suck.  Firing Buck doesn't fix that.  They currently have 2 corner OFers who can't really hit.  The 1B is as lost as I've ever seen a hitter be.  The DH is apparently designated for a task he's incapable of performing.  And, there's no pitching outside of Bundy/Cashner.

Firing the manager mid-season is a way to try and save an under-performing team.  This team is performing right where they should be.

The core has gotten older and IMO, we are seeing just how bad our GM has been.   It is not all his fault, because he is handcuffed by so many silly ownership rules and IMO, he lost the trust of ownership a long time ago, but Dan has never really augmented the core well.

Buck certainly has his faults but, he largely has done a good job here.  IMO.

I do think the first 4 in the rotation will be okay.  The fifth spot will be a land mine all year.

No Depth in the rotation or in the infield.

@mikeghg

#16 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:31 PM

If the team is 20 GB of 1st on July 4th, Buck's unfireable? Why? He won the division that one time? 

@BSLMikeRandall

#17 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,171 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

If the team is 20 GB of 1st on July 4th, Buck's unfireable? Why? He won the division that one time?

Mainly because he isn't a starting pitcher.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,068 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

I don't see the point in firing Buck midseason.

I firmly believe that firing your manager can jumpstart your team to play a little better, but only for a short while.  But I don't think we're likely to be in a position where firing the manager might spark us to a run.  We either will snap out of this shitty play to start the year, and in that case I want Buck pulling the strings the rest of the way, or we won't, and in that case I don't think it matters who manages us nor do I think the small short-term bump you could get by making a move will be enough to help us get back to relevance.

I don't know if Buck will want to be the manager of the team we bring back for '19, or if that will be the type of team where his skills really make much impact.  But I'd rather keep that option open at this point than fire him now.  Mostly because I don't think firing him now or any time soon really is of any tangible benefit and he's done enough for the organization over the years to avoid that indignity unless there is a perceived benefit.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#19 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

The FO is showing Buck little faith by letting him manage under a contract that ends after this season. That's not very classy. If the O's are in the basement well into the season, finish in the basement, are they going to extend him then? That makes little sense. 

If this year really is garbage, It'd almost be more classy to let him go mid-summer and let him get on with life. Let him prep for job interviews when the offseason comes. Give him time to come up with every excuse "why" for everything asked in those interviews. There will be a lot of "Why..." questions he'll have to answer. 

It will also give you a head start on improving for the coming years. Kind of like the way Buck was brought in in August. It doesn't make a substantial impact right away, but it sets a new plan in motion earlier, and you reap the benefits sooner.  

OTOH, DD, also running a team like he's going to give it to someone else in 6 months, should be the first domino to fall sooner rather than later. Then the new GM actually building the team he wants for the future can decide Buck's fate. Or suggest Buck's fate to the old man signing the pay checks.

@BSLMikeRandall

#20 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

Chances are if Buck is "fired" it is more like, "moved to another position within the organization."

What happens to Buck this year depends on what he wants to do next year. If he still wants to manage I expect he'd be back here. If he wants to move into the FO, that could happen at some point this summer if the team is out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners