• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 98,653 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:00 AM

SI: Why Maryland Receiving FBI Subpoenas Should Worry Other College Programs, Basketball Players
https://www.si.com/c...lege-basketball

#42 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

Whoa! Are we headed for probation? Bring back Gary.

#43 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,111 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

Maybe my head is in the sand, but this feels like basic due diligence to me, given the initial news about Stone. Not that they won't find anything, but I feel like at this point, this isn't particularly revealing or indicative of much of anything we didn't already know.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#44 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

Maybe my head is in the sand, but this feels like basic due diligence to me, given the initial news about Stone. Not that they won't find anything, but I feel like at this point, this isn't particularly
revealing or indicative of much of anything we didn't already know.

I saw Stone got a $15k payout supposedly. Where did it come from? A Maryland Booster? A local car dealer? Lot of questions. Feel bad for new AD. Looks like he walked in a land mine.

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:18 PM

I thought I read where it was a street agent not, associated with any university, but who knows.

If Md. goes on probation, Turgeon should just go.

@mikeghg

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

I saw Stone got a $15k payout supposedly. Where did it come from? A Maryland Booster? A local car dealer? Lot of questions. Feel bad for new AD. Looks like he walked in a land mine.

Also keep in mind the new AD was already was on the job.
@mikeghg

#47 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

Also keep in mind the new AD was already was on the job.

Not when Stone was here and allegedly accepted the $.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 98,653 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:16 AM

Baltimore Sun: Uncertainty for Maryland and college basketball after latest FBI-driven subpoenas

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

Not when Stone was here and allegedly accepted the $.

Yea, my bad,

At the least though, he should have been aware of what he was getting in to.

@mikeghg

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,790 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:33 AM

Evans is lucky as hell to have a job.  Don't feel bad for him.

#51 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,111 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

Evans is lucky as hell to have a job. Don't feel bad for him.

People who mistakes are lucky to have a job? Or do you mean, he's lucky to have a D1 AD job? (The latter I can see an argument for)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,790 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

People who mistakes are lucky to have a job? Or do you mean, he's lucky to have a D1 AD job? (The latter I can see an argument for)

Lucky to have this job. 

I'd also argue he hasn't really paid for his mistake, had he paid for it I'd be more willing to give second chances.  Losing his previous job is something, but anyone who gets caught driving as drunk as he clearly was deserves a lengthy prison sentence, IMO.  Months to years, not days to weeks, and certainly not the laughable slap on the wrist that is the penalty for drunken driving in America.  And he should never ever be allowed to have a driver's license again.

#53 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,111 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

Hard to argue against any of that other than the state of the legal system being horribly flawed not being his fault, either. Unless he should just volunteer those terms out of conviction. I get it though, and I really do generally agree... but I'm just not sure how I'd like my worst moment being thrown in my face 8 years later. Thankfully my worst moment isn't anywhere as bad as that, but still. To be clear, not a big fan of the hire overall either, just not due to this.
  • Mackus likes this

#54 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

Yea, my bad,

At the least though, he should have been aware of what he was getting in to.

I'm guessing he heard rumblings. This is a good job. I hope Evans does well. I believe good people deserve a second chance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners