BSLJasonBHirschhorn

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

Offseason moves the Ravens should consider:

http://baltimorespor...avens-consider/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

Jason B. Hirschhorn is an award-winning sports journalist and Pro Football Writers of America member. He has bylines at SB Nation, Sports on Earth, and other outlets. He also serves as the senior writer and editor for Acme Packing Company, a Green Bay Packers blog. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,609 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

Levine is a valuable tweener.  I wouldn't cut him. 

• BSLGabeFerguson likes this
@BSLRobShields

#3 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

Yeah Levine was the Ravens dimeback and he played well in that role...and on ST.

@gabefergy

#4 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

If there was a way to change Flacco for Cousins, I'd seriously consider it. 

#5 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,762 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

If there was a way to change Flacco for Cousins, I'd seriously consider it. 

No brainer, IMO.

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,609 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

Cousins will sign a regrettable contract
@BSLRobShields

#7 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,087 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

Not as regrettable as the contract the Ravens gave Flacco.

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,609 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Not as regrettable as the contract the Ravens gave Flacco.

It will be worse...he’s going to get paid way more.

Any one of these monster contracts given to the non elite QBs are going to hurt their teams.
  • BSLGabeFerguson likes this
@BSLRobShields

#9 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

Cousins is equivalent to Flacco. Has some games/plays that make you believe in him, has others where he completely implodes. 

• BSLRobHabib likes this
@gabefergy

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,213 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

They are basically the same guy and it will be basically the same contract, just 5 years apart in terms of the rising tide of QB salaries and the overall salary cap.

Flacco had the advantage of being the SB MVP when he signed his deal and being 2 years younger at the time.  Cousins has the advantage of being truly on the open market whereas Joe and the Ravens were really just trying to agree on a market value (despite Joe's FA status at the time).  I think the only clear difference between the two is time.

#11 BSLRobHabib

BSLRobHabib

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

Cousins is equivalent to Flacco. Has some games/plays that make you believe in him, has others where he completely implodes. 

Thats spot on. It's just the nature of the league now. QB's are going to be paid and the market simply dictates what they'll make which happens to be a lot of money. Do any of these QB's deserve this kind of money? No, very few actually deserve what they're being paid however the way the league is now, many teams want to try to build through an Elite QB. In my opinion a great coaching staff, well designed schemes, and a good o-line are far more important than spending a fortune on a QB who is going to give you subpar games. All the things I mentioned above is what produces a good passing game, not spending a ton of money on a slightly above average QB.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,213 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

In my opinion a great coaching staff, well designed schemes, and a good o-line are far more important than spending a fortune on a QB who is going to give you subpar games.

I'll take a QB one tier up and a coach one tier down rather than the other way around.

Teams don't spend a fortune on the middle tier QBs because they think they can become top tier guys.  They do it because it's better to have a middle tier guy than to have the extra cap space but need to find your next guy.  It's really hard to find even middle tier QBs.  And if you don't have one, you really can't have any success.

If you've got that middle tier guy and he hasn't gotten big dollars yet, you're in good shape.  If he is getting big dollars, then you need to get lucky with some outstanding production for cheap elsewhere, either at the skill positions or on defense.  The Ravens currently have a mid-tier guy getting big money but haven't been able to make it up elsewhere.  When we won, we had a mid-tier guy who was still cheap, so we were flush to spend elsewhere.

If you've got a top QB that hasn't gotten paid yet (Wentz), that's the best case.  You should win a lot in this scenario.

Next best scenario, is a top QB who is getting paid huge dollars.  Not much cap left to build around, but your guy elevates his team.

Then it's a mid-tier QB who hasn't gotten paid.  Lots of cap space to build a good team around your decent guy.

Mid-tier QB who has gotten paid.  Difficult to win, need to find value on other spots of the roster.

Bottom rung QB is a big problem, nearly impossible to win.  Need to have an amazing defense and running game to have any hope.

Worst is bottom rung QB who is getting paid big money.  Impossible to win.  Ravens have gotten scary close to this last scenario in recent years.

#13 Biggsy

Biggsy

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

No brainer, IMO.

You've never watched the guy in crunch time other than our game vs the skins. He folds when the pressures on. I'd rather have Flacco and know I'm getting s guy that delivers on his end when the playoff pressure is on.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,087 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

Finding a competant QB isnt nearly as hard as it used to be and its all you need if you have a talented roster. 5-10 yrs ago I would have told you it was nearly impossible to be a SB contender without an elite QB. Just not the case anymore.

#15 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,087 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

You've never watched the guy in crunch time other than our game vs the skins. He folds when the pressures on. I'd rather have Flacco and know I'm getting s guy that delivers on his end when the playoff pressure is on.

Yeah he was money in that Bengals game.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,213 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

It's debatable who you would choose between Joe 5 years ago and Cousins now.  I'd take Joe.

It's no contest right now.  It's not a realistic question for cap reasons.  But based purely on performance and expected performance in the future there is no debate, IMO, it's clearly Cousins if for no other reason than he's 3 years younger and hasn't dealt with the injury issues Joe has the past three years.

#17 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,087 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

The team that signs Cousins to a monster deal might end up regretting the deal but there is no debate who the better QB has been the last 3 years and likely will be going forward.

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,609 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

The teams with the elite QB, who stay healthy, are still more likely to make the playoffs.
@BSLRobShields

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 68,609 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

The team that signs Cousins to a monster deal might end up regretting the deal but there is no debate who the better QB has been the last 3 years and likely will be going forward.

Cousins has definitely had a better system, better weapons and has been much healthier.

Those things are also undeniable.
@BSLRobShields

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,213 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

Cousins has definitely had a better system, better weapons and has been much healthier.

Those things are also undeniable.

Sure, but do those things change anybody's answer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners