105 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 95,592 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

Hasn't reached 1,000 yards since 2014.

Averaged just 12.1 ypc on his 69 grabs this year. 

Owed $12.5M in '18, and '19.

He's not going to stretch the field.  He's being paid for being a better player than he is.

But that contract might make him available.

He is capable of making contested catches. Does have a good catch radius. Physical guy.  See some similarities to what Boldin was.

Could the Ravens make the $ work?
Would you give up something like a 3rd or 4th for him if they could?

#2 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

A 4th, maybe.

I am not a fan of his diva attitude. We've never had that on the Ravens and I'm glad we haven't even though divas can be productive.

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

I'd pass. Hate his me first attitude. Guy hit his own mother.

Use the draft picks to hopefully land a receiver who can offer the same output for a fraction of the cost. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,068 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

I'd offer him a deal bigger than Wallace/Maclin got if he's cut, but I don't think we can afford to trade for him under the cap.

I'd definitely be interested if he's available, even with his age starting to get up there and his struggles in recent years.

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 70,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

He’s going to get cut.
@BSLRobShields

#6 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

Hell, why not? I feel like Flacco/Dez would be a good match. Wouldn't give him a long-term deal or anything, but two years from him wouldn't be the end of the world. 

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

I agree with Mackus, definitely taking a look at if he is released. I wouldn't trade for him though.

I haven't really watched any tape of him, but I get the feeling his struggles have been more a product of his offense/QB than ability.

@gabefergy

#8 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

I agree with Mackus, definitely taking a look at if he is released. I wouldn't trade for him though.

I haven't really watched any tape of him, but I get the feeling his struggles have been more a product of his offense/QB than ability.

I'd trade for him depending on the cost. 4th or later I would in a heartbeat. You're not getting anyone close to as good as Bryant after the 2nd round.

#9 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

I'd trade for him depending on the cost. 4th or later I would in a heartbeat. You're not getting anyone close to as good as Bryant after the 2nd round.

his contract is basically a non-starter.
@gabefergy

#10 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

That deal could also be renegotiated...he's basically got $8 mill guaranteed on the last deal. If you were willing to give him say renegotiate to 4/40 through the next 4 years, give him another $16 mill up front. Structure the money to look like 1, 5, 8, 10. This is essentially what we would offer him (or Landry or Watkins, IMO). That's a $5 mill cap hit for the year, and would essentially be Maclin's cut value against the cap. This is probably not terribly far from the offer he might get in FA, so if Dallas let a team give them say a 4th if they were going to cut him anyway, maybe you could work something out. 

I'm not sure I'd want Bryant as he appeared to be damaged goods this year, but if the FO was good with the medicals, I'd be OK with it. 

#11 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,171 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

He'd flip out on Flacco and Harbaugh with regularity IMO. Not a fit for their egos probably and I too think there's a damaged goods aspect there potentially. Just looks like he's lost a couple steps permanently.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 70,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

There is no discussion about Dez until he is cut. At that point, you can have the discussion and see if he’s worth it.

Trading anything for him is a non starter.
@BSLRobShields

#13 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

There is no discussion about Dez until he is cut. At that point, you can have the discussion and see if he’s worth it.

Trading anything for him is a non starter.

Even if you can renegotiate? 

The open market can be weird...beneficial if there aren't two suitors to drive up is price, but if you can trade a 5th or later and work out a deal in advance, I don't see why you don't explore that. 

Now...if Dez isn't interested in that I agree. 

But I think we all believe the Ravens need to get more creative with how they are attacking adding talent on the offensive side of the ball right now. If trading a pick to lock one guy up on the market and then taking the lowest priced of Watkins/Lee/Landry is the cost, I'm 100% OK with that (given medicals). 

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 70,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Yes even if you can re-negotiate.

Let’s face it, he isn’t that great and has off field issues. I wouldn’t mind adding him for a certain price but I’m not trading anything for him in hopes his ego allows him to take a pay cut.

He’s getting cut..no one will trade for that contract.
@BSLRobShields

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,068 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

Yes even if you can re-negotiate.

Let’s face it, he isn’t that great and has off field issues. I wouldn’t mind adding him for a certain price but I’m not trading anything for him in hopes his ego allows him to take a pay cut.

He’s getting cut..no one will trade for that contract.

I think anybody trading for him would be a scenario where the Cowboys allow him to explore contact terms with his new team before the two teams discuss trade compensation, which is common in the NFL.  So you wouldn't have to trade for him and then hope you could get him to take a paycut or agree to a new deal.  It would be an all or nothing situation.

I agree that nobody is going to trade for him with his current contract.  But I think a re-negotiated deal and trade tandem is, not as likely than a straight cut, but much closer to equal odds as that than to impossible.

#16 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

Dallas is squeezed a bit up against the cap and they need to sign Lawrence who very may well get a tag. 

But beyond that, I don't think they are a team with a ton of needs, maybe at WR if they cut Bryant. But they'll have enough cap to get a deal done with Lawrence and carry Bryant, IMO. 

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 95,592 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

He’s going to get cut.

Get to find out tomorrow.

NBC Sports / PFT: Dez Bryant takes to Twitter on eve of his meeting with Jerry Jones
http://profootballta...th-jerry-jones/

#18 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

Go get him.

#19 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,171 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

Nope.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#20 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,083 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

Nope.

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners