#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...are-attendance/

We've discussed attendance and game day experience for a couple years now as it became noticeable that less and less fans were going to games.

This week has taught me one thing. They really don't care. 

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLRobShields like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

I do believe they care. Miller has said as much and the team has said as much.

I think they believe they're making the right moves (or non moves) to win in 2018 and that winning will bring back the fans.

If you make personnel decisions to please the fans, independent from trying to win, then you're in trouble.

• Cisc-O's and BSLRobHabib like this

#3 Bernie

Bernie
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Very good article, but a little overboard on Marty M in my opinion. I'm not defending his play-calling but I think the notion that the team would be like an old lady with a Corvette if they signed Julio Jones is more a reflection on the organizational philosophy than the O.C.  This franchise has always seemed afraid to embrace what the league has demanded for at least the past 20 years: pass-heavy finesse football. The Ravens back the Brinks truck up for Flacco then talk about their desire for a run-oriented ball-control offense. Every time they lose, Jerry Coleman, Mike Preston and all their minions point at the box score and say "they gave up on the run too early." Even Al Michaels the other night claimed they won "2 super bowls with defense" -- I personally didn't see much D from the Ravens in January of 2013; it took every one of those points from Joe's arm to win that SB.

There just seems to be a conflict inside somewhere and I don't who's on which side. But Bisciotti, Ozzie, Harbaugh, Flacco and the latest O.C. never seem to all be on the same page about what type of offense (and even team) they want.

And beyond that, the author is absolutely right about settling for mediocrity. The biggest unreported story in Baltimore sports right now is Steve Bisciotti's lowered standards. He is now on a yearly basis adjusting his criteria for a head coach because he refuses to fire Harbaugh. So the guy who has to have the best in everything is now content with a half-empty stadium and continuous mediocrity. He has lost his passion for winning, just like the fans and the rest of organization.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

I do believe they care. Miller has said as much and the team has said as much.

I think they believe they're making the right moves (or non moves) to win in 2018 and that winning will bring back the fans.

If you make personnel decisions to please the fans, independent from trying to win, then you're in trouble.

They are definitely trying to win in 2018. Not trying to accuse them of not doing that. Just putting out there that if attendance were as big a problem as some think, changes would have been made. Early games next year will be very lowly attended because excitment will be it's lowest ever. I don't think drafting a WR in round 1 changes that.

They care about winning. They hope attendance just works itself out.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

They are definitely trying to win in 2018. Not trying to accuse them of not doing that. Just putting out there that if attendance were as big a problem as some think, changes would have been made. Early games next year will be very lowly attended because excitment will be it's lowest ever. I don't think drafting a WR in round 1 changes that.

They care about winning. They hope attendance just works itself out.

I thought for a while if the team is better the fans will come back, but this year proved that may not be true.

It's true that staying the course won't excite many people, but maybe the O's will be so bad this year fans will be craving optimism of a new season.

If they start out hot in 2018 I think all will be forgiven.
@gabefergy

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 70,655 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

No one really gives a shit who the GM is..who the coach is, etc..

They care about winning and an exciting product.

Get better players. That’s what actually matters.
  • Cisc-O's likes this
@BSLRobShields

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,136 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

Depends on the schedule I think. If it's front-heavy with good teams and they are winning, that might get people excited. If the early part of the schedule is weak, then even a 4-0 start might still have people skeptical, especially if they aren't winning convincingly.

#8 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:25 PM

I thought for a while if the team is better the fans will come back, but this year proved that may not be true.

It's true that staying the course won't excite many people, but maybe the O's will be so bad this year fans will be craving optimism of a new season.

This year is a bad example. The political stuff and the team just wasn’t very good. By the time there was hope to make the playoffs it was holiday season and bad weather. Not an excuse but if they went 13-3 I think the stadium would be full.

#9 BSLRobHabib

BSLRobHabib

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

I truly think this organization cares about the fans and about winning obviously. Like Sean Jester said, "If you make personnel decisions to please the fans, independent from trying to win, then you're in trouble." 100% agree with that. No surprise Marty isn't gone, I don't think anyone expected that. Lets be honest, this teams talent was devastated by injuries yet they still showed up and we're one play away from the playoffs not only this year but also last year. Yes their strength of schedule was below average, but the point is they showed up and Harbaugh never lost the locker room. You can't continually turnover the coaching staff and expect to win and in that regard I agree with Steve's philosophy. We know he doesn't like too much turnover and he trust his guys. 

#10 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:37 PM

I do honestly believe that the team will be much better without Pees. That’s a blemish on Harbaugh and Co for keeping him but at least he’s gone and we can have a different perspective.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

#11 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:38 PM

This year is a bad example. The political stuff and the team just wasn’t very good. By the time there was hope to make the playoffs it was holiday season and bad weather. Not an excuse but if they went 13-3 I think the stadium would be full.

But the team was very good down the stretch, that's what doesn't make sense. They had a home game if they win they get in the playoffs and half the stadium is empty.

Maybe it was the holiday, maybe it was the weather, maybe its politics, but the Ravens were one of the hottest teams in the NFL. Granted, not every win was pretty but I don't get it.
@gabefergy

#12 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Dude it was 4:35 on NYE. Cold as shit. Maybe it wouldn’t have been full but the time change and weather did have an impact.

And yeah the team played better and had a chance to make playoffs but no one believed in them to go far.

#13 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,171 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

No one was fooled by this team deep down.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#14 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,050 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Maybe the fanbase just sucks
@gabefergy

#15 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

It’s a shame but I agree. But not a shock in today’s NFL climate. Used to think we were a top 5 fan base. Not the case anymore but let’s see what happens when we look like a legit contender again.

#16 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

Baltimore fans definitely aren't the best. They got spoiled by the O's very fast, not even turning out in the division race in 2016 when Boston came to town. Maryland basketball isn't even a draw anymore. 

It goes hand in hand. Fans should be turning out to support the team in big games. But fans aren't going to invest in a stale product. Which is what the Ravens, O's, Terps currently provide. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,708 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

It’s not just a Baltimore thing. It’s a sports thing. When teams suck fans rarely come out.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#18 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

It’s not just a Baltimore thing. It’s a sports thing. When teams suck fans rarely come out.

It's deeper than that. If you are playing for a playoff spot it's hard to say they suck. Even though in a typical year, they wouldn't have won 9 games. Probably 6. But you put the Browns in this situation where a win and they go to the playoffs, the game is packed.

Baltimore really isn't a good fan base. 3 years after a title they start having attendance issues? Attendance issues that have now reached embarrassing. 

They suck compared to the elites in the NFL, but are far better than the teams that really have no business drawing a crowd. And two of them made the AFC playoffs this year instead of the Ravens now.

@BSLMikeRandall

#19 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

I enjoy sports far more on television, and it's so expensive to go to games.  I don't know how or why most people who get season tickets put that money aside to do so.  It's well over $100 to get (one) worthwhile seats for single games, so even for people with a decent amount of disposable income it's like why bother.

I feel sorry for the people who have to take their kids.

#20 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

I enjoy sports far more on television, and it's so expensive to go to games. I don't know how or why most people who get season tickets put that money aside to do so. It's well over $100 to get (one) worthwhile seats for single games, so even for people with a decent amount of disposable income it's like why bother.

I feel sorry for the people who have to take their kids.

Idiotic take.

You need people to go to the games or else you’ll see the team leave again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners