Photo

BSL: What Would a Machado Trade Even Look Like?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 71,612 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

Funny....you think guys like Salazar, McCarthy, Corbin, Drury, Markakis and Happ aren't available?

Some of them are..doubt Happ..question is Salazar is.

But that’s not what is unrealistic.
@BSLRobShields

#62 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,190 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

There’s very little that’s realistic about your plan.

But that’s not what is unrealistic.

well...if the 'unrealistic' part is the Orioles doing anything beyond something falling in their lap.  Sure.  

(again) It's not about what they will do, it's about options that can do. 

#63 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 71,612 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

well...if the 'unrealistic' part is the Orioles doing anything beyond something falling in their lap.  Sure.  

(again) It's not about what they will do, it's about options that can do. 

No...unrealistic is what you are trying to do.

Especially when you start mentioning a 3 year Machado plan.  Your plan loses any credibility after that.

@BSLRobShields

#64 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,190 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

Some of them are..doubt Happ..question is Salazar is.

There was discussion on MLB Radio last week about the Cubs shopping 'several of their young ML players'....they apparently love Schwarber (although he'd be the guy i actually traded)...and the pundits view (commentary) was "they must not like them as much as we think'.  Ugh.  Guys...it's not about talent or youth or like or not like or even projection.  You can't fit all the ABs into the roster.  That's it.  Theo actually alluded to it in an interview.  It's about alignment that supports the Attitude and Chemistry you need to get the most out of everything you are trying to do.  I know everyone thinks life is just a Talent grab.  There's more to it than that.

If they love Schwarber and Zobrist is sort of stuck there, then they get to pick who they are handing 2B too.  Baez and Happ are both capable.  Personally, if I was the Cubs I'd move Baez and play Happ, but it's their call.  I'd work for either player and would prefer Baez in the keep Manny and Schoop scenario and would prefer Happ in the trade Manny and Schoop scenario.

-------------------

Indians have to make a decision on 5th starter.  We should all agree Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer and Clevinger are in.  Last spot is Tomlin versus Salazar.  You could make arguments boths ways.  Let them pick.  If the answer is Tomlin (instead of Salazar) use the cheap (3+M) 2018 to work out another 2 years that likely winds up being cheaper than what Salazar would have gotten.  Take back Brantley in the deal and they can rotate back the other way with Kipnis to LF nad Ramierez back to 2B (recently they announced Kipnis would play 2B and Ramirez back to 3B....probably just trade posturing for Kipnis)

Manny for SP (the guy not in the top5), Brantley and McKenzie.  Maybe they want some years back in secondary players.  The framework is there. 

Under that scenario, you don't worry about the 72 hour window.  Still think you get more if you give it....should know that going in...

--------------

....but if there's absolutely nothing to work there, come back to AZ and put the larger package together with AZ and Manny and Schoop.  Would need to get the Cubs and Marlins involved.  Hazen would put it together.

#65 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,190 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

No...unrealistic is what you are trying to do.

Especially when you start mentioning a 3 year Machado plan.  Your plan loses any credibility after that.

Actually, I wasn't using the 72 scenario for signing Manny in either situation.  My point is those are both places he could stay in for different reasons.  The trade is the trade, it's the Indians or DBacks problem after that.  I'd still want the Orioles to do it, but since we're talking the trade, obviously I didn't get what I want.

#66 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 71,612 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

Duplantier is the 73rd prospect according to BA.

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners