1153 replies to this topic

#1141 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

Harbaugh with a very surly attitude at his press conference today.

He's always surly after losses and "oh by gosh by golly" after they win.

#1142 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

Have we had an update on Moore?  Figure Perriman will be active.

@sgellison

Harbaugh seems genuinely impressed with Chris Moore. He's played well on special teams, and Sunday night he had the 30-yard TD and a diving sideline catch. "He's coming on," Harbs said with a smile. There's also optimism Moore will be healthy (hip) next week

#1143 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 67,038 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

Harbaugh on Humphrey not shadowing Brown: "That’s not our game plan. Then, we got to basically lock into man coverage. We’re playing multiple defense to try and keep them off balance and it doesn’t really work when you start chasing a WR all around the field. It exposes you."

@BSLRobShields

#1144 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 67,038 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

@sgellison

Harbaugh seems genuinely impressed with Chris Moore. He's played well on special teams, and Sunday night he had the 30-yard TD and a diving sideline catch. "He's coming on," Harbs said with a smile. There's also optimism Moore will be healthy (hip) next week

He is coming on some.  Could see him be someone Joe looks to as the season goes on.

@BSLRobShields

#1145 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

Harbaugh on Humphrey not shadowing Brown: "That’s not our game plan. Then, we got to basically lock into man coverage. We’re playing multiple defense to try and keep them off balance and it doesn’t really work when you start chasing a WR all around the field. It exposes you."

Ugh, you can shadow and still play zone...it's basically man when Carr was beaten by Brown if you're not giving him bracketed help. 

On plays where you aren't going to bracket the help, at least have Humphrey on him then...That's not a well thought out answer, IMO. 

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#1146 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

Defensively, having Carr press without any help behind him on 3rd and 13 is a bad playcall.  I thought they tried a variety of things on Brown and he simply was dominating no matter what we did.  I don't have gamelong issues with the attempts to contain him, it didn't work but they tried different things.  But Carr on an island on 3rd and 13 with 2:30 or so left from their own 20 is setting the players up for failure.  I feel the same about the playcall on the 2 point conversion, where they had both Bell and Brown in one-on-one man coverage and no help on either.  Fortunately we committed a penalty rather than give Bell an easy score, and then managed to stuff them from the 1.

I'd like to see the All-22 version of this play, if anyone has it and can screen shot it that would be great. 

The throw is so far to the sideline, it's possible there was bracket coverage (I'm not sure) and the throw just beats him. I'd also want to see the pre-snap to see if they showed Cover 2 bracketing over the top. 

I hate that playcall too, but now that we're in hindsight, I'd want to see the formation, both on offense and defense and the result. 

Also, did we press Brown all game? I don't love that strategy either, but I'm guessing we played off and on a variety of coverages. 

As fans, we get anecdotal and narrowed in on stuff like this, but in reality, we see the initial set, the safeties usually are off the initial screen. The snap happens we cannot see any of the secondary play. 

I think it was a bad playcall, but I do want to see the whole thing and not just the Brown Carr matchup there...

#1147 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,156 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

My follow up question would have been, 500 yards passing later, how do you feel about that gameplan?
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#1148 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

LOL.

#1149 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 67,038 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

LOL.

What?  You think having your coverage exposed is a good thing? I mean, if you allow that to happen, Ben might have had a good game!

@BSLRobShields

#1150 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Watching the Pats game last night, folks should be impressed with how much of clinic Ben and Brown put on. Those sideline throws over Carr aren't easy, especially with press single man, even without extra help.

Brady was taking those shots all night last night and could not connect with his guys. The Dolphins mostly played Cover 1, dared Brady to throw to the sideline and he just couldn't connect on those deep balls. 

Ben just barely missed on one of those throws to Brown, and they scored the TD. On the other throws, if he's just a shade off, and those go incomplete, could be a whole other ball game.

Some respect seems to be lost in these threads for how good Brown is, how good Ben was last night (he's not usually that accurate), and how good other receivers were. The Steelers O was disciplined, they weren't penalized. They handled us up front. Our defensive game plan might have sucked, but the Steelers were required to play a perfect game of offense, and they did exactly that. 

#1151 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

They always play a perfect game against us. Fuck them.

• jkough1 likes this

#1152 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

Pees today said there was discussion about putting Humprhey on Brown and in hindsight we probably should have done that, lol. 

Well...at least there is that. I'm willing to chalk that up to first game adjustments without Smith. Sounds like they'll be more ready to have a scheme step up where they can flip a Carr/Humphrey or have a trailer if they need to. 

#1153 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,833 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

I don't get why teams aren't more physical with Brown -- he's not some monster physically. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1154 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

I don't get why teams aren't more physical with Brown -- he's not some monster physically. 

First off, we pressed him basically all game. I actually didn't / don't love the strategy. You saw why in the big plays by Carr.

If he gets off the press, which he does because he's slippery and agile, he's going to beat you deep every single time Ben throws him a catchable ball. There aren't a lot of other receivers like that. 

And he can get behind you and then really burn you. 

There's not a great way to defend Brown. He's going to get 7/100 on almost everyone even in perfect double coverage. That's why I think some of the anger over the coverage pages was a bit out of hand. Even with a safety shell over the top, a few of those throws against Carr would be completed anyway. There is no way a safety can get over there and cover over the top on those routes. 

He's really, really, really good. And right now he's playing like the best player in all of football. With a QB that's locked in on his timing with him. 

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors