#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,603 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:48 PM

BSL: http://baltimorespor...od-time-change/

Better Ravens teams than this one have made bold, shrewd moves that paid big dividends. Why is this team settling for mediocrity and living being ok with one of the worst offenses in football? Do they like the empty seats, the booing of the home team?

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSeanJester like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:32 PM

Didn’t read the article yet but already I like the sentiment and I agree.

#3 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

Great article. I think Flacco could be the one protecting MM to a point with the reluctance to go through another OC change, this time in season again. There doesn’t have to be some big change really, they just have to do what they’ve done before and been successful doing. Run the ball and play action pass. I think even MM could call more of those plays.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 67,038 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

It’s almost as if they don’t go back and watch tape to offenses that Joe was good in.

Why is it so hard to figure that out?

A big part of the reason to why Belicheck is so good is his ability to adapt to his roster. He doesn’t play just one style. He changes things seemingly week to week.

The Ravens prefer the square peg/round hole approach.
@BSLRobShields

#5 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,603 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

Great article. I think Flacco could be the one protecting MM to a point with the reluctance to go through another OC change, this time in season again. There doesn’t have to be some big change really, they just have to do what they’ve done before and been successful doing. Run the ball and play action pass. I think even MM could call more of those plays.

Thank you Sean. I also think that its just a timing issue with the plays. 

Cam was wildly inconsistent in some ways to MM, like how they would go up tempo at times and keep defenses guessing. It works, then you never see it again. Same way with the 6 man O-line here. Saw it a lot in I believe the Miami game. Haven't seen it since. 

Also you had Cam start doing things like flinging it deep on 3rd and 2. Which once in while is ok if it's there. But every time, instead of trusting a Pro Bowl RB in Rice, or a higher % pass for a couple yards there to sure handed Pitta. MM does the opposite in you need 8 yards and he throws it 2. Some of that is Flacco as well. Some of that is the personnel package on those plays though which is coaching. 

When Cam was let go and Caldwell took over, it wasn't an overhaul of the offense. Caldwell never called before. He just took Cam's book and made the calls as he saw fit, and it was genius. The following season not so much. But the timing of the plays was so much better. I think if Roman became the interim OC tomorrow, you would see no Perriman, Collins getting 25 touches a game, and maybe just someone who learned from what MM was doing wrong, and slight changes in game can make the offense a much better unit. 

It doesn't need to be an overhaul on offense. Just someone who isn't a complete moron needs to be on the headset with the playbook. Small changes can make a world of difference. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#6 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

They grew deep on 3rd and 4 on Monday. I think it was the deep ball to Wallace down the sideline. It was a good throw but I didn't like the call. They need to run more high percentage plays instead of going deep on 3rd down or throwing it well behind the first down marker.

#7 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,633 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

It’s almost as if they don’t go back and watch tape to offenses that Joe was good in.

Why is it so hard to figure that out?

A big part of the reason to why Belicheck is so good is his ability to adapt to his roster. He doesn’t play just one style. He changes things seemingly week to week.

The Ravens prefer the square peg/round hole approach.

The opposition is just playing a lot of zone. I never understood why they played so much man against Flacco back in the day but whatever. Anyway, if you want those LBers sucked up on PA you better show your running game is a real factor. Collins and the other Rbs havent been particularly great in the ypc department of late. Collins was under 4.0 the last few weeks and last week he was only close to4.0 because of that pitch on 4th and 1. If we had a real running game we could at least go with more PA that the opposition would have to respect.

#8 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,633 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

It would be great if Flacco ran more since the LBers drop so deep and there is so much zone.

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 67,038 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

It would be great if Flacco ran more since the LBers drop so deep and there is so much zone.

Yea, I have always wanted to see more from him in this area.

Last week he did.  I doubt that becomes a trend but he could probably take off 3-5 times a game and that could be the difference between a punt or keeping the drive alive.

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors