Orioles willing to trade Britton?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

I'd keep him unless the door was blown off with an offer. 

#22 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:47 AM

Value has to be pretty low after 2017, no?

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,823 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

Value has to be pretty low after 2017, no?

Lower than at the deadline at least, given that he had to be shut down to end the season.

I wouldn't have taken the reported deal for him at the deadline, and I still wouldn't.  If the offers are bigger than I expect I would move him, but I doubt that will be the case.

I preferred keeping him last offseason, thinking the potential value to the club outweighed the potential risks of a bad or, more likely, injury-plagued season lowering his trade value this offseason.  Obviously that downside is what happened.  Actually all three bad outcomes hit: the team was bad, Britton didn't pitch as well, and he got hurt. 

Those that argued that we should have traded him last offseason can certainly say that they were right on that one.  I'm still content with the decision not to trade him, this isn't a result that I was unwilling to accept should things go sour.

#24 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

Could have traded him for a package that potentially helps transform the organization in the long term...and instead you kept him and now you hope to get a fraction of that deal.

Just horrible management of what limited resources you have.
  • clapdiddy likes this
@BSLRobShields

#25 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

IDK. Sinkerballers are fragile pitchers. They either have it or they don't. Wouldn't be surprised if the injury ruined ZB for good. Still think he can be solid, but I wouldn't count on dominance going forward.

#26 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

Could have traded him for a package that potentially helps transform the organization in the long term...and instead you kept him and now you hope to get a fraction of that deal.

Just horrible management of what limited resources you have.

I still say that if you would have traded Manny and Britton last offseason, this team would have been ready to compete this year.   

#27 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

I still say that if you would have traded Manny and Britton last offseason, this team would have been ready to compete this year.

I don't think you can say that with certainty, but they would have been better set up to compete long term.

If Britton is back to 2016 levels, and Manny doesn't have a weak first half like he did in 2017, that's a lot of production we didn't have last year.

Somehow just have to figure out how to have 2 SP's that aren't the worst in baseball and we could make a run for the WC game.

#28 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

I don't think you can say that with certainty, but they would have been better set up to compete long term.

If Britton is back to 2016 levels, and Manny doesn't have a weak first half like he did in 2017, that's a lot of production we didn't have last year.

Somehow just have to figure out how to have 2 SP's that aren't the worst in baseball and we could make a run for the WC game.

If you trade Britton to LA, could you pick up one of their "excess" starters?

#29 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

It just depends on how those players would have developed.

We would certainly be positioned better with a lot more talent in the organization than we are now...be easier to go out and make a move for a Gerritt Cole or someone like that, amongst others.
@BSLRobShields

#30 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Simple logic to me. What good is an elite closer (assuming Britton gets back to that level) if your rotation is the worst in baseball? If you aren't going to fix the real problem then trade him for the best deal you can get.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,294 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Simple logic to me. What good is an elite closer (assuming Britton gets back to that level) if your rotation is the worst in baseball? If you aren't going to fix the real problem then trade him for the best deal you can get.

How good was the rotation in '16?  Seems like he was pretty valuable then.

#32 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

How good was the rotation in '16?  Seems like he was pretty valuable then.

The rotation in 2016 was light years better than the rotation in 2017. Now that's not saying much and I get your point. But the bottom line is why have an elite closer if the team as a whole sucks. Trade that asset to build a better overall team in the near future and screw 2018. 

#33 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Dodgers. , Cubs and others have reportedly expressed interest

https://www.fanragsp...closer-britton/
@BSLRobShields

#34 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

Dodgers and Cubs, Dodgers especially, are tight with their prospects. Trading Britton for stopgap SP would be horrible. Hope we don't fall into that trap.  

• BSLRobShields likes this

#35 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

Last year, the Cubs acquired Wade Davis...Davis, who was better in his last year with KC than Britton was last year, was coming off an injury riddled season.

The traded Soler for him.  Now, Soler sucked this year but he was/is a ML ready,  high upside guy with youth and service time on his side.

Could be a barometer for what we could get for Britton..just hope who we get doesn't suck( I still think Soler will be fine).

@BSLRobShields

#36 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Cubs not interested?:

https://www.mlbtrade...dison-reed.html
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic