@BSLRobShields

#2 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,254 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

At 12 mil for one year of control and coming off his injury issues you're not going to get a great return. Especially, if teams think the Os are just tying to dump his salary. It was stupid not to take the best deal at the deadline.

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

I wouldn't trade him, but that's because I want to use him and I'm not worried about getting something back for him now.

I'm on board for extending him, but I wouldn't do it at this point.  Run him out to July, see where you are in terms of competing or (if not) where the market is and trade him with the understanding that you want him back.  He'd get to explore his market....but I'd guess there's a lot of opportunity for the reunion if the Orioles wanted.

Obviously is you're still competing well at the break you hold.

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

...and money saved is not money reallocated.  Not the way it works here.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,254 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

...and money saved is not money reallocated. Not the way it works here.

That's the biggest reason for keeping him and keeping guys they've kept in the recent past

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,294 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

If you get an offer that surprises, I'm not opposed to trading him now... but I tend to agree now is not the best time.  I'd rather start the year with him. If he performs, but the team doesn't... can move him then.

Also not opposed to extending him.

#7 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

If the offer blows me away, I'd do it. Besides that, I'm in the don't trade him until July camp. 

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

The bottom line is we have no idea what his market is.

We can say it’s not much but teams know how good he is, they know relief pitching is becoming more and more important and they know that if he’s healthy, which apparently he is, that they can count on him to be elite.

That being said, I’m not dealing him unless it’s a very good offer. If teams are trying to buy him for 50 cents on the dollar, you keep him. If teams are willing to give you 80-90 cents on the dollar, you trade him.

Few things though:

1) You trade him for the best package and not just look for pitchers.

2) You don’t trade him just because of salary. He isn’t making that much money for an elite reliever.

3) You still should look to move Brach.

4) Sign McGee to replace him.
@BSLRobShields

#9 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

I doubt his market is very good at this point. If it is even decent then deal him imo. Might be better to keep him, hope he does well, and then trade him in a deadline deal (assuming the team inst competitive).  

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

I doubt his market is very good at this point. If it is even decent then deal him imo. Might be better to keep him, hope he does well, and then trade him in a deadline deal (assuming the team inst competitive).

You have to shop him but you don’t trade him just to trade him.
@BSLRobShields

#11 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,254 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

I would take the offer the Stros proposed at the break for him but I doubt you'd get that much for him now. Not that we know exactly what that deal was. It supposedly wasn't great but good enough

#12 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:43 PM

You have to shop him but you don’t trade him just to trade him.

I said deal him if the value is still "decent". We're not getting anywhere near his peak value a year ago. I guess we can disagree about what "decent" enough is.  

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

I said deal him if the value is still "decent". We're not getting anywhere near his peak value a year ago. I guess we can disagree about what "decent" enough is.

That’s where my issue is (and I don’t mean with you or anyone on here)

How will the Orioles define what’s enough?

My worry is they trade him to save some money to put towards another crappy starter.

You trade him because the deal you get back is too good to say no to. Now, that deal won’t be as strong as it would have been last year but if you can still get a few top 100 prospects, that would be solid imo
@BSLRobShields

#14 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,254 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

If the Os are willing to trade him it's because they know he's not right. Whether thats mentally, physically or both. I do think they'll seriously entertain tak8ng back a relatively modest return. Again, it depends on how specific you want to define "modest" or "decent"

#15 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

That’s where my issue is (and I don’t mean with you or anyone on here)

How will the Orioles define what’s enough?

My worry is they trade him to save some money to put towards another crappy starter.

You trade him because the deal you get back is too good to say no to. Now, that deal won’t be as strong as it would have been last year but if you can still get a few top 100 prospects, that would be solid imo

Should be for some sort of prospect(s) with money being a secondary consideration. I doubt he yields very much 

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

If the Os are willing to trade him it's because they know he's not right. Whether thats mentally, physically or both. I do think they'll seriously entertain tak8ng back a relatively modest return. Again, it depends on how specific you want to define "modest" or "decent"

I don’t think that’s true at all.

They could easily be trading him because they like their depth, because they think it’s the best way to get a starter, because of his salary, because they know they won’t sign him long term...all of these, some of these or your reasoning.

It’s 100% inaccurate to say it’s definitely one of these things.
@BSLRobShields

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Should be for some sort of prospect(s) with money being a secondary consideration. I doubt he yields very much

I don’t get this line of thinking.

Only way they don’t get much is if no one really wants him and no one is really bidding for him.

Otoh, I don’t know what your definition of “not very much” is.
@BSLRobShields

#18 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,254 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

Only way they don’t get much is if no one really wants him and no one is really bidding for him.

It isn't multiple Top 100 prospects. That likely wasnt even the deal back in July

#19 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

I think there's enough injury concern with Britton that teams aren't gong to be wanting to give up much for him and take on that salary. I don't see a top 100 prospect coming back at this point. Then again, I could be wrong and teams could be more comfortable with his physicals than I think they are. May need to play out in ST.  

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:14 PM

If you guys are right, you keep him.

I’m not worried about the injuries. I have no problem “gambling” and keeping him.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors