• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,294 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:47 PM

The fresh blood was just great. Morsell really competing, Fernando is a freak and a spark plug. Wiley has definitely grown, as has Ceko. Notice Nickens role tonight... think he's in real danger of slipping out of the rotation completely.

Nickens will have his moments.  Did have 15 in the last game.  But yeah, he's behind the others.  Others just have better overall games.

But there will be times where MD needs some shooting, and if he can get hot.. he can get minutes.

Syracuse in a few weeks.... be nice if he could come off the bunch and bury a few.

#122 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,254 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Morsell did a great job defensively tonight. Fernando bringing athleticism too. Thats much needed for this program. The biggest plus for me tonight was seeing them absolutely clean the defensive boards.

#123 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 736 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:54 PM

Morsell did a great job defensively tonight. Fernando bringing athleticism too. Thats much needed for this program. The biggest plus for me tonight was seeing them absolutely clean the defensive boards.

Morsell is the type of guy this team needed.  He seems to be in the Byron Mouton/Tahj Holden mold of toughness and not minding doing the dirty work.

• Mike B likes this

#124 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

Jeff Goodman:

Anthony Cowan was terrific tonight for Maryland. 25 points, 10 boards and 5 assists. High IQ point guard. Solid win at home against Butler.
@BSLRobShields

#125 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted Yesterday, 07:04 AM

Not sure if it’s been said here yet but I think this Maryland team ends up better than last year. Melo held them back in a few different ways.

#126 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,823 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:17 AM

Really fun night.

They shot well enough to make the heavy turnovers moot.  They'll need to clean up the turnovers dramatically, they weren't caused by aggressive Butler defense but by Maryland mistakes.  But the way they shot the ball (and grabbed offensive boards the few times they missed) made up for those mistakes and then some.  Not gonna shoot like that often, though, so need to try to limit turnovers to something in the 12-14 range.

Basically everything else about the game was positive for the Terps.  Jackson struggled offensively, obviously, but he didn't force things to try and get himself going and he still got involved heavily on the glass and defensive end.  Cowan played great, hit a few lucky threes early to get his confidence up, and then was everywhere on the court.  Huerter and Cheko got us off to a great start, I think Huerter had 4 assists by the 4-minute timeout, mostly to Cheko for easy dunks.  Neither did a ton the rest of the way, but they helped set the tone.  Bruno and Morsell then picked that up and provided a huge amount of energy, excellent defense (Bruno has a great feel for helpside defense, which is impressive for a freshman big and is vital to the way Turgeon coaches defense), and efficient offense aside from some turnovers.  Wiley also had a nice game.  If he can improve and have a big year, that makes this team 8 deep with real quality players.

The biggest thing for the night and for the season, IMO, is the number of times Maryland was in transition defense and managed to get back in the play and force a missed layup or just outright steal the ball while Butler was in transition.  Morsell and Bruno each had a hustle play to get back and force a missed open-court layup (and another hustling player got back to corral the ball).  Cowan, Wiley, and even freaking Cheko got their hands up racing back on defense and intercepted or tipped passes.  They played very hard on defense. 

• Ricker Says and Hooded Viper like this

#127 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,823 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:35 AM

Not sure if it’s been said here yet but I think this Maryland team ends up better than last year. Melo held them back in a few different ways.

The team very well may be better.  My optimism and expectations have certainly risen after seeing how well the freshman can play right away and having Wiley look like a more useful contributor.  How consistently we get one BMOC performance from the sophomores will determine how good we are, IMO.  It was Cowan last night.  It'll be Jackson more often.  And Huerter I think is more of the consistent glue guy scoring 8-12 rather than someone who will go off for 20+.

But I'll argue with anyone who thinks Melo made the team worse last year or that we are better off because he is gone.  I've got zero doubt that Melo would make this squad even better.   Melo wasn't selfish, he

#128 BSLEricGarland

BSLEricGarland

BSL Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:42 AM

First real test of the season, passed. I was there and the atmosphere was great. 

Some of the good:

• State the obvious - damn Cowan is good. Not just with his offense either. That dude fights for rebounds with guys twice his size! He's second on the team in rebounds. 
  • Offense just generally seems to be moving the ball better so far than in years past. It's still early, but feeding Ceko and Bruno down low is nice to see than passing around the arc and settling for a 3 like we have. 
  • Speaking of Bruno, big upgrade from Dodd. And Ceko is set to have a really nice year and good to see him getting aggressive offensively in the post.
  • Morsell seems really poised and mature for a freshman. Doesn't try to force the ball and try and make too much happen. Also didn't know he could dunk like that, and his block on the other end of the court was fantastic. 
  • Is Wiley going to be a regular contributor on offense this year?! 

Some of the bad:

• Need to cut the turnovers down. Huerter especially was careless with the ball at times.
  • When Cowan heads to the bench it affects the whole offense. When he sat in the first half I think Butler went on an 8-0 run. That offense runs through him and they really need a ball handler to step up when he needs a breather or gets in foul trouble.
  • I feel for Nickens, but I think he'll play his way out of the rotation sooner or later. If he's not on fire from 3, there's not much he offers to this team. Defensive liability. 
  • Where's Obi? 

In the words of Larry David, feeling pretty, pretty good about this season overall. 

• BSLChrisStoner, Hooded Viper, BSLBobPhelan and 1 other like this

#129 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,254 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:45 AM

Crowd was great last night. I'm not going to say they would be worse off with Me lo this year but I'm not sure he makes them better either. Allowing the offense to run through Cowan,Huerter, and Jackson makes us more diverse. Melo simply didn't create enough for others plus he was a poor defender. What you lose is the guy who puts the ball in his hands and can create a shot for himself in late shot clock situations

#130 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,823 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:16 AM

He was outstanding last night, but I'm not convinced that Cowan is going to be an every-night stud or our clear best player. I think the three sophomores will share that role of being the man, with Jackson and Huerter stepping up on various nights to be the top dog. I think Jackson will make the most impact overall, though perhaps Cowan is less replaceable since we don't have any real backup PG options while we do have wing/PF options. When the offense is bogged down and we can't seem to find a bucket, I actually think Huerter will be the primary guy to get us out of that, either by finding an open man which he is the best at in the half-court game or by coming off a screen to hit a three.

Cowan certainly could become a All-Big Ten caliber guy, but I think he'll be a bit up and down, as will Jackson and Huerter.

#131 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,837 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted Yesterday, 01:32 PM

First real test of the season, passed. I was there and the atmosphere was great. 

Some of the good:

• State the obvious - damn Cowan is good. Not just with his offense either. That dude fights for rebounds with guys twice his size! He's second on the team in rebounds. 
  • Offense just generally seems to be moving the ball better so far than in years past. It's still early, but feeding Ceko and Bruno down low is nice to see than passing around the arc and settling for a 3 like we have. 
  • Speaking of Bruno, big upgrade from Dodd. And Ceko is set to have a really nice year and good to see him getting aggressive offensively in the post.
  • Morsell seems really poised and mature for a freshman. Doesn't try to force the ball and try and make too much happen. Also didn't know he could dunk like that, and his block on the other end of the court was fantastic. 
  • Is Wiley going to be a regular contributor on offense this year?! 

Some of the bad:

• Need to cut the turnovers down. Huerter especially was careless with the ball at times.
  • When Cowan heads to the bench it affects the whole offense. When he sat in the first half I think Butler went on an 8-0 run. That offense runs through him and they really need a ball handler to step up when he needs a breather or gets in foul trouble.
  • I feel for Nickens, but I think he'll play his way out of the rotation sooner or later. If he's not on fire from 3, there's not much he offers to this team. Defensive liability. 
  • Where's Obi? 

In the words of Larry David, feeling pretty, pretty good about this season overall. 

There was a lot to like last night.

I have felt good about Cowan since Day 1.  He contributes to all phases of the game.  Last night was certainly a Wow game, and it will be hard to live up to last night, but I think, we are really going to enjoy watching this kid.  

Morsell -  Cowan was the star last night but Morsell, was a close second.  Kelan Martin is one of the better players in the Big East.  He is a senior who is Butler's best player.  Morsell gave up about 3 inches and about 40 pounds and kicked his ass the second half.  He made a shot around the 15 minute mark, and Turgeon challenged him to get closer.  He listened and Martin ceased to be a factor.  He was extremely impressive last night.

Bruno---he is still getting in shape after the injury-but it has been a long time since the Terps have had an athlete like that inside.  He is raw and his turn overs-were from trying to go to fast, but he is good and is excitable.  I loved how he incited the fans after one of his baskets.  

Wiley-good for him, stay healthy and have fun.  He deserves a break.  He played the third most minutes last night.

Turgeon - the guy everyone likes to beat on.   I was impressed with the fast pace.  Turn the kids loose.   Push the ball, Cowan is lightning in the open court, but guys like JJ, Huerter, Morsell and Wiley can do well in the open court.  The motion offense in the half court was nice to see, too.  Keep the foot off the emergency brake Turg, there may be turnovers, but there will be more possesions and easier baskets.  Hell we may even see a press at some point this year.  

A good game in the first challenge.  too bad Ewing is such a coward, it would have been even more fun to kick Georgetown's ass.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLBobPhelan and Mackus like this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors