First real test of the season, passed. I was there and the atmosphere was great.
Some of the good:
- State the obvious - damn Cowan is good. Not just with his offense either. That dude fights for rebounds with guys twice his size! He's second on the team in rebounds.
- Offense just generally seems to be moving the ball better so far than in years past. It's still early, but feeding Ceko and Bruno down low is nice to see than passing around the arc and settling for a 3 like we have.
- Speaking of Bruno, big upgrade from Dodd. And Ceko is set to have a really nice year and good to see him getting aggressive offensively in the post.
- Morsell seems really poised and mature for a freshman. Doesn't try to force the ball and try and make too much happen. Also didn't know he could dunk like that, and his block on the other end of the court was fantastic.
- Is Wiley going to be a regular contributor on offense this year?!
Some of the bad:
- Need to cut the turnovers down. Huerter especially was careless with the ball at times.
- When Cowan heads to the bench it affects the whole offense. When he sat in the first half I think Butler went on an 8-0 run. That offense runs through him and they really need a ball handler to step up when he needs a breather or gets in foul trouble.
- I feel for Nickens, but I think he'll play his way out of the rotation sooner or later. If he's not on fire from 3, there's not much he offers to this team. Defensive liability.
- Where's Obi?
In the words of Larry David, feeling pretty, pretty good about this season overall.
There was a lot to like last night.
I have felt good about Cowan since Day 1. He contributes to all phases of the game. Last night was certainly a Wow game, and it will be hard to live up to last night, but I think, we are really going to enjoy watching this kid.
Morsell - Cowan was the star last night but Morsell, was a close second. Kelan Martin is one of the better players in the Big East. He is a senior who is Butler's best player. Morsell gave up about 3 inches and about 40 pounds and kicked his ass the second half. He made a shot around the 15 minute mark, and Turgeon challenged him to get closer. He listened and Martin ceased to be a factor. He was extremely impressive last night.
Bruno---he is still getting in shape after the injury-but it has been a long time since the Terps have had an athlete like that inside. He is raw and his turn overs-were from trying to go to fast, but he is good and is excitable. I loved how he incited the fans after one of his baskets.
Wiley-good for him, stay healthy and have fun. He deserves a break. He played the third most minutes last night.
Turgeon - the guy everyone likes to beat on. I was impressed with the fast pace. Turn the kids loose. Push the ball, Cowan is lightning in the open court, but guys like JJ, Huerter, Morsell and Wiley can do well in the open court. The motion offense in the half court was nice to see, too. Keep the foot off the emergency brake Turg, there may be turnovers, but there will be more possesions and easier baskets. Hell we may even see a press at some point this year.
A good game in the first challenge. too bad Ewing is such a coward, it would have been even more fun to kick Georgetown's ass.