• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

I think it should be a priority of Maryland to make another investment in the Coaching staff this off-season.

Bump up for Durkin, Bell...  maybe Buh. 

Definitely Abdul-Rahim, Lembo, Berry, Wilczewski....  probably Beatty, Brumbaugh....

But if I'm Durkin, I'm then pushing to bring in one of the fired HC's, and get that additional brain power.

Butch Jones appeals to me in that capacity. Things going sideways at Tennessee, but Jones has brought in strong recruiting classes.

You can't make up the total talent difference on the field quickly...but you can brain power to the staff.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,862 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

I think you mean Butch Jones, not Butch Davis (he's currently at FIU, and doing fairly well this season).

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Agreed on all points. It'll be interesting to see how Damon Evans handles things as the official AD. Beatty should absolutely get a massive raise. He may be the best recruiter on a staff of elite recruiters. 

Not sure if a high-profile former head coach (Butch Jones, Kevin Sumlin, Jim Mora, Bret Bielema, etc.) would realistically take a positional coaching position. And since Maryland isn't in a position to hire new coordinators, you'd probably be looking elsewhere for staff additions. Even if they were to get rid of Buh (which I don't see happening), they'd simply slide Brumbaugh into that DC role.

@BSLZackKiesel

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

I think a former HC would have to come in as 'Asst HC' or something like that.

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

I think a former HC would have to come in as 'Asst HC' or something like that.

Right, and Pete Lembo is currently the "Assistant Head Coach" and Chris Beatty is the "Associate Head Coach".

@BSLZackKiesel

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Right, and Pete Lembo is currently the "Assistant Head Coach" and Chris Beatty is the "Associate Head Coach".

Hmm. Unless you gave those guys enough of a raise to stay while giving up the title... not sure what the answer is there...  maybe a made up title. If you effectively think of Durkin as the CEO of the program, basically I'm talking about hiring a President.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

Hmm. Unless you gave those guys enough of a raise to stay while giving up the title... not sure what the answer is there...  maybe a made up title. If you effectively think of Durkin as the CEO of the program, basically I'm talking about hiring a President.

Assistant to the Regional Manager

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

But if I'm Durkin, I'm then pushing to bring in one of the fired HC's, and get that additional brain power.

In the likely scenario Florida lets him go, Randy Shannon is a name that interests me. Guy can recruit and is a solid defensive mind, another Mike London. Maybe he can even poach a couple UF recruits on the way up to College Park. Kyle Pitts is a guy the Terps were in on that is committed there right now....though considering he'd be lucky just to get one target per game in MD's offense, it's probably a pipe dream to think such a highly regarded TE would want to come.

Back to Shannon....seems to me there was a time a few years back we were wanting MD to try and lure him as an assistant. Might have been after Don Brown unexpectedly left....that was right after Miami had let him go IIRC.

• BSLChrisStoner and Markus like this

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:55 PM

Musical chairs going on with the coaching carousel.... what coaches of interest are still out there?

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:14 PM

Musical chairs going on with the coaching carousel.... what coaches of interest are still out there?

Mike mentioned Randy Shannon above, he just accepted the DC job with UCF (massive get for them, too).

The only opening on the staff is offensive line, so it'll be interesting to see who they grab there. Dave Borbely (2016's O-Line coach) is still on the staff as Special Assistant to the Head Coach (an off-field role), so they don't have to rush into anything there if they don't want to. I don't really expect Durkin to make a splash hire this off-season. I think he's happy with his coordinators, though 2018 is probably the last chance for Buh/Brumbaugh at DC.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:04 AM

If Mario Cristobal is not retained at Oregon (he is the interim HC) Durkin needs to be on him like white on rice.

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

If Mario Cristobal is not retained at Oregon (he is the interim HC) Durkin needs to be on him like white on rice.

I'd assume Taggart would bring him to FSU if he doesn't take the Oregon job.

@BSLZackKiesel

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'd assume Taggart would bring him to FSU if he doesn't take the Oregon job.

I think it will come down to timing. He'd be an obvious choice for Taggart, but as the interim HC at Oregon Cristobal committed to coaching through the bowl game on the 16th. Don't know how fast Taggart would want an OC. Just saying if Cristobal is a free agent, he would be a hot commodity, and MD should at least put its best foot forward to have him come aboard, even though he would likely only stay for a season. They've already had a revolving door at the OL coach spot, so Durkin doesn't seem too bothered by it.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

Speaking of Oregon... Mark Helfrich hasn't landed anywhere right? (Believe he's with FOX as an Analyst.) 

Here is Maryland's staff:
http://www.umterps.c...ID=208131623#fb

and here is Alabama's staff:
http://www.rolltide.com/staff.aspx

In overall shape, it's more comparable vs. what I would have expected.

I'm guessing there is a considerable salary differential for Alabama's staff though.

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

Wannabe Philanthropist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

I think it should be a priority of Maryland to make another investment in the Coaching staff this off-season.

Bump up for Durkin, Bell...  maybe Buh. 

Definitely Abdul-Rahim, Lembo, Berry, Wilczewski....  probably Beatty, Brumbaugh....

Butch Jones appeals to me in that capacity. Things going sideways at Tennessee, but Jones has brought in strong recruiting classes.

You can't make up the total talent difference on the field quickly...but you can brain power to the staff.

I agree, sans Buh. Not sure it's feasible to get a high caliber former HC, but any upgrade is better than none. One interesting possibility (not sure how possible) would be for Durkin to oust Buh and take over as DC. Boost Durkin's pay and have Lembo help with managing the team. Going into a recruits home w/Durkin running the D shows FAR better than having it run by Buh.

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

I agree, sans Buh. Not sure it's feasible to get a high caliber former HC, but any upgrade is better than none. One interesting possibility (not sure how possible) would be for Durkin to oust Buh and take over as DC. Boost Durkin's pay and have Lembo help with managing the team. Going into a recruits home w/Durkin running the D shows FAR better than having it run by Buh.

Durkin already has a ton of input into the defense. This is his scheme that he developed under Will Muschamp at Florida. Hybrid 4-3 Under with some exotic blitzes and aggressive DB play. Buh/Brumbaugh are helping to run his system, but if he didn't like something they were doing, they wouldn't be doing it. The majority of the issues with this defense aren't scheme-based. It's the exact same scheme Durkin ran at Florida and Michigan. The issues are personnel-based, particularly along the defensive line. Outside of their heavy use of zone coverage on 3rd downs, I don't see anything they're doing schematically that I disagree with.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

It might be Durkin's scheme, but I would assume Buh makes the calls on gameday. Not much difference than an OC....he can be one of the greatest minds in the game when it comes to philosophy and game-planning, but if he doesn't have a knack for making the right call at the right time, or making in-game adjustments when something isn't working or could be done better, then what good is it?

I for one would be just fine moving on from Buh.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors