#1 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,488 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet...

Bobby Blanco @Bobby_Blanco now49 minutes ago

BREAKING: Kevin Anderson is out as athletic director at Maryland, per sources. #Terps

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 95,592 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

Testudo Times: Kevin Anderson fired as Maryland athletic director, per reports

https://www.testudot...hletic-director

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 95,592 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

@Bobby_Blanco

Anderson on administrative leave from Oct. 1-Aug. 2018. Kevin Plank negotiated severance package that keeps him on payroll through next Aug.

@Bobby_Blanco

Wallace Loh removed him on Oct 1. He was upset that Anderson sought the Cal AD job.

#4 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

I'm seeing Gary Williams' name floated by boosters as interim AD.  Don't like it, Gary is not an administrator.  Never liked Anderson, but the success of the program, with football a notable exception, is unquestioned.  Maryland has won more Big 10 titles since entering the conference than any other school.

#5 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

If Loh is in a snit that Anderson was looking at the Cal job and that's what led to this, that says more about him than Anderson IMO

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,136 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

So he's been gone two weeks and it only now hits the news? Wow.

• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,136 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

If Loh is in a snit that Anderson was looking at the Cal job and that's what led to this, that says more about him than Anderson IMO

I was thinking there has to be more to it than that. Everybody does that, even when it's technically a lateral move.

And I agree Jim, I could live with Gary as a placeholder until a new AD is found, but need someone else.

#8 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

Absolutely Mike, everyone is always keeping an eye on the market and talking about jobs.  Not sure there is more to it, however and that's not going to help Loh make the next hire.  It is amazing it took two weeks for that to come out.

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,136 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

On the discussion thread at TT someone said the Kansas board was talking about this yesterday when Dotson picked the Jayhawks over MD. How the hell did they hear about it first?

#10 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Good question.  It's odd that MASN broke the news-I didn't even know they covered the Terps

#11 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Jeff Ermann is reporting that it is "still a fluid situation."  He says Loh wanted to fire him last weekend but "intervention," I presume Kevin Plank, kept him on board, 

#12 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,171 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

Hope the reason cited isn't a cover up for getting out in front of this FBI thing.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

To be fair, considering how utterly screwed the Cal athletic department is, is anyone who wants that job someone you want running your department?

In another tweet, Blanco said that while appearing on BTN today they showed Williams as having the AD title. That's...interesting.
@DJ_McCann

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,136 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

In another tweet, Blanco said that while appearing on BTN today they showed Williams as having the AD title. That's...interesting.

I hope that was just an error on BTN's part, or else this is an unmitigated clusterfuck.

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,136 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

Good question.  It's odd that MASN broke the news-I didn't even know they covered the Terps

Pretty sure they don't. I guess whomever leaked this is just close with Blanco.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,136 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hope the reason cited isn't a cover up for getting out in front of this FBI thing.

Would seem unusual the AD is the only one taking the fall if that's it. You'd think Turgeon and/or an assistant would be out too.

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

I hope that was just an error on BTN's part, or else this is an unmitigated clusterfuck.

https://media.giphy....pSzzq/giphy.gif
@DJ_McCann

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,523 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Would seem unusual the AD is the only one taking the fall if that's it. You'd think Turgeon and/or an assistant would be out too.

Hopefully, it is unrelated to all the FBI crap.  There has been no mention of MD, in any of it, so not time to worry about that.  I have felt like Anderson has been shopping for a better job for a few years.  and maybe Loh just got tired of it.

@mikeghg

#19 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

I believe Gary has a title something like Assistant Athletic Director in his fundraising role.

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,136 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

Hopefully, it is unrelated to all the FBI crap.  There has been no mention of Md, in any of it, so not time to worry about that.  I have felt like Anderson has been shopping for a better job for a few years.  and maybe Loh just got tired of it.

There were rumors about him when the Texas job was open. Don't recall hearing him tied to any others, but given his lengthy ties to the west coast it's not surprising he desired to return to that area. But like DJ said, the Cal athletic department is a financial mess right now (of course so was the MD department when he came on).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners