#21 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

If CC is the only SP we add, I agree that we are not a legit playoff team next year.  If we add CC plus two other similar guys, then I think we would have enough to at least fancy ourselves potential contenders.  If we've got three guys who can go 160 IP with a 4.00-4.50 ERA plus Bundy and Gausman, I think that is enough SP not (not good SP, but enough) that our offense, bullpen, and defense will have a chance to be good enough to get us back in the playoffs.  At least a good enough chance that I'd like to take that chance rather than trade everyone away.

I would, of course, hope that we can build a better rotation than stated above to give us an even better hope in 2018.

So you are ok with a multi-year FA deal for Sabathia (say 4 years) as long  we commit other multi-year deals for (2-3) other "quality" FA SP? 

#22 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

So, would the pro-CC folksk be willing to give him a 4 year deal?  3 Years? I might be in at be in at 1-2 (which I doubt he'd take). 

He'll be 37/38 next year. He's not getting four years. I doubt he gets three even. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#23 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

He'll be 37/38 next year. He's not getting four years. I doubt he gets three even. 

If that's true I'd be fine with a 2 year deal for CC. We'll see what happens. You'd be wiling to give him a 3 year deal then? 

#24 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,773 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

CC will have enough interest that he won't be signing here.

#25 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:37 PM

CC will have enough interest that he won't be signing here.

Agreed. If he signs a 1-2 year deal it will be because it's somewhere he wants to go...which won't be us.  

#26 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

Agreed. If he signs a 1-2 year deal it will be because it's somewhere he wants to go...which won't be us.  

He might just stay in New York

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

#27 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:16 AM

Yep.

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,681 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:12 AM

I think that is likely.

@mikeghg

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

So you are ok with a multi-year FA deal for Sabathia (say 4 years) as long  we commit other multi-year deals for (2-3) other "quality" FA SP? 

Sure, yeah, whatever.  I don't care about the names or years or dollars so much.  I want the best 3 guys we can convince to sign here.  Hoping for 3 guys better than Sabathia, but unlikely that happens.  I don't mind being the highest bidder - so say an extra year and extra $1-3M AAV - on any of the guys that I think would be clear upgrades.  We can't sit back and hope to get guys for below market value. 

Sabathia specifically wouldn't be on my top-5 list or maybe not even top-10 (I haven't actually made a list), but he's well ahead of Tillman or Miley, so as names come off the market, Sabathia moves closer to someone I'd seriously consider.

I expect them to sign two guys that I wouldn't even consider mediocre.  It's gonna be the same mess next year as this year.  Hope that's not the case, but it's what I think happens.

#30 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

Sure, yeah, whatever.  I don't care about the names or years or dollars so much.  I want the best 3 guys we can convince to sign here.  Hoping for 3 guys better than Sabathia, but unlikely that happens.  I don't mind being the highest bidder - so say an extra year and extra $1-3M AAV - on any of the guys that I think would be clear upgrades.  We can't sit back and hope to get guys for below market value. 

Sabathia specifically wouldn't be on my top-5 list or maybe not even top-10 (I haven't actually made a list), but he's well ahead of Tillman or Miley, so as names come off the market, Sabathia moves closer to someone I'd seriously consider.

I expect them to sign two guys that I wouldn't even consider mediocre.  It's gonna be the same mess next year as this year.  Hope that's not the case, but it's what I think happens.

Yeah, I'd probably be against one Multi-year deal into '20-21 (especially 4 years) for FA SP, much less multiple type multi-year deals of that sort. Some names may appear better than others I suppose, but it's just not smart imo. Don't really care about 2018-19 all that much (not that I'm giving up on them being competitive) so I'd rather get the best 1-2 year deals available. Hopefully by '20 we'll have a better development pipeline and/or trade resources to field something more viable and sustainable.

As for CC, he doesn't sign here imo. If he wants a 3 year deal with max money, I think he gets it. Meaning we'd have to offer 4 years (basically what we had to do with UJ) or a crazy 3 year AAV (which typically just doesn't happen). 

#31 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 64,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

CC goes somewhere that gives him money and a chance to win.

Baltimore isn’t that place.
@BSLRobShields

#32 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

If that's true I'd be fine with a 2 year deal for CC. We'll see what happens. You'd be wiling to give him a 3 year deal then? 

No. I'd only consider it if the third year was a vesting option. 

#33 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

No. I'd only consider it if the third year was a vesting option. 

Agreed. Basically you're saying what I'm saying imo ..... you don't really want him. Be interesting to see ha he does though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors