HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

Nope.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

I want to add the 3 best SP we can add to this team. I'd prefer someone better, but if he's one of the 3 best guys we can convince to sign here for whatever Angelos allows to be bid, then sign him.

I'd take him over someone worse, that's for sure.

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

Not a big fan but he's better than Miley, Jimenez, etc.

But here's my thought. If CC is the best we can get then we are not a legit playoff team next year and they are wasting money and trade chips.

#7 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

But here's my thought. If CC is the best we can get then we are not a legit playoff team next year and they are wasting money and trade chips.

Just pointing out that the Yankees are in the playoffs this year with CC, and they are starting him in tonight's elimination game.  I agree that the O's are screwed if CC is the best they can get, but if he's their #3, or maybe even #2, guy and the price is right it could work.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

If CC is the only SP we add, I agree that we are not a legit playoff team next year.  If we add CC plus two other similar guys, then I think we would have enough to at least fancy ourselves potential contenders.  If we've got three guys who can go 160 IP with a 4.00-4.50 ERA plus Bundy and Gausman, I think that is enough SP not (not good SP, but enough) that our offense, bullpen, and defense will have a chance to be good enough to get us back in the playoffs.  At least a good enough chance that I'd like to take that chance rather than trade everyone away.

I would, of course, hope that we can build a better rotation than stated above to give us an even better hope in 2018.

#9 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

Maybe. He certainly was this year. But he's in the same category as those guys. Who knows who will be better next year.

• CA-ORIOLE likes this

#10 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

If CC is the only SP we add, I agree that we are not a legit playoff team next year.  If we add CC plus two other similar guys, then I think we would have enough to at least fancy ourselves potential contenders.  If we've got three guys who can go 160 IP with a 4.00-4.50 ERA plus Bundy and Gausman, I think that is enough SP not (not good SP, but enough) that our offense, bullpen, and defense will have a chance to be good enough to get us back in the playoffs.  At least a good enough chance that I'd like to take that chance rather than trade everyone away.

I would, of course, hope that we can build a better rotation than stated above to give us an even better hope in 2018.

Perhaps. Sticking with my first thought. If CC is the best we can get then we aren't a playoff team even if we get two more similar guys. Because if we have three CCs  you can rest assured at least one and probably two of them will suck next year. They aren't getting better at this point in there careers especially pitching in CY.

#11 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

If he comes along with someone like Alex Cobb, i'd be ok with him signing here. 

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 64,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

Perhaps. Sticking with my first thought. If CC is the best we can get then we aren't a playoff team even if we get two more similar guys. Because if we have three CCs you can rest assured at least one and probably two of them will suck next year. They aren't getting better at this point in there careers especially pitching in CY.

Steve, you realize we were a playoff team 3 times in recent years right? Can you point out how many great starters we had in those years?
@BSLRobShields

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

Steve, you realize we were a playoff team 3 times in recent years right? Can you point out how many great starters we had in those years?

Does Joe Saunders count both times or just once?

#14 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

Does Joe Saunders count both times or just once?

Once. I don't even remember him pitching in 2014

#15 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,454 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Once. I don't even remember him pitching in 2014

I remember him getting lit up that year whenever he pitched.

#16 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

So, would the pro-CC folksk be willing to give him a 4 year deal?  3 Years? I might be in at be in at 1-2 (which I doubt he'd take). 

#17 JTrea81

JTrea81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

Given the lack of quality pitching throughout MLB, I'm pretty sure CC will have plenty of offers, perhaps even going back to Cleveland.  With that said, I'd be fine with the Orioles pursuing him, but it's going to cost a lot more to get him to pitch for the Orioles than most other teams.

#18 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:37 AM

On a one-year deal, sure. Anything more, and we're talking stupid.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:41 AM

On a one-year deal, sure. Anything more, and we're talking stupid.

We've gotta significantly improve the rotation at whatever cost.  And even mediocre SP, which represent a massive upgrade over most of what we have run out there the last couple years, will cost a significant amount on the FA market.

If you want the Orioles to find some decent starting pitching, expect the cost to be stupid.  There is no alternative aside from hoping for bounce back seasons by guys like Tillman or Miley or similar external guys.

#20 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

Most i’d do is a 2 year deal, maybe 3 if he comes cheap enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors