#1 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:41 AM

Ovi with 7 goals through the first two games. Caps 2-0-0... you know, because it's the regular season.

• DuffMan likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#2 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

You never know, it could be

ouryear.png

#3 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

Ovi with 7 goals through the first two games. Caps 2-0-0... you know, because it's the regular season.

First time in 100 years that a player has opened the season with back to back hat tricks.  At the start of this year he needed 42 goals to get to 600.  How last year went for him, that wasn't necessarily a given.  After 2 games though it looks way more doable as he now only needs 35 more in 80 games.

I won't make any predictions about how the season goes, but it will be interesting to see how they respond/play with lowered expectations.

• Ricker Says likes this
You can bet on the numbers, or you can bet on Buck Showalter.

#4 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

Just how lowered are expectations? They're still one of the favorites, right?
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 89,393 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Russian Machine Never Breaks: Home opener blowout: numbers for the morning after

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 89,393 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Japers Rink: The Replacements: The Capitals’ Open Roles and Who Can Fill Them
https://www.japersri...o-can-fill-them

#7 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

Just how lowered are expectations? They're still one of the favorites, right?

SI magazine picked them to win it all, personally I think that's a stretch. Realistically, I think you can still expect them to make the playoffs, whether that includes another division title remains to be seen. Columbus and Pens will most likely be right there again. I wouldn't count on another Presidents trophy either. Once playoffs come around they'll be in the discussion but I don't see them being mentioned in the elite 2-3 teams as the favorites. Having said that, they still have Holtby and that could go a long way of making a run in the playoffs.

#8 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

I can dig it. Lower expectations. Flacco's rookie year where the Ravens season ended in a brutal AFC Championship Game in Pittsburgh, is still one of my most enjoyable ever. Lower expectations can be good.

#9 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

As long as they win when they come here, I'll be somewhat satisfied.  Looking forward to going to the game again, hockey is probably the best sport to watch live.

• DuffMan likes this

#10 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Caps-Pens in an entertaining tilt last night.  Playoffs are a long way off, but don't be surprised if you see these two teams go at it again in another 2nd round playoff matchup.

#11 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

Caps-Pens in an entertaining tilt last night.  Playoffs are a long way off, but don't be surprised if you see these two teams go at it again in another 2nd round playoff matchup.

Where the Caps lose in 7 because they absolutely suck against pittsburgh in the playoffs/2nd round? 

• Dupin likes this

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Where the Caps lose in 7 because they absolutely suck against pittsburgh in the playoffs/2nd round? 

They just don't do well in do or die games period. Doesn't matter who it is. You put any other team in the league in that series and they don't get to 7 against PIT. Stupid playoff seeding breaks what SHOULD have been the Eastern Conference Finals the past couple years.

@JeremyMStrain

#13 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Would anyone have been satisfied or any less dissatisfied if the past two exits occurred a round later? I definitely wouldn't be.
  • Dupin likes this

#14 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,994 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

Would anyone have been satisfied or any less dissatisfied if the past two exits occurred a round later? I definitely wouldn't be.

It's championship or bust with Ovechkin at this point.

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

So you're saying you have the expectation your team, out of all 31 teams will win the title every year, and nothing else is acceptable?

I read an article from a soldier today, staying out of the politics part, but he touched on how our society has become this all or nothing, obsessed and letting their whole mood and life be influenced SO much for our favorite sports teams, and we've lost touch with what's really important. (Spoiler alert, it's not if your team wins the championship or not)

@JeremyMStrain

#16 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

So you're saying you have the expectation your team, out of all 31 teams will win the title every year, and nothing else is acceptable?

I read an article from a soldier today, staying out of the politics part, but he touched on how our society has become this all or nothing, obsessed and letting their whole mood and life be influenced SO much for our favorite sports teams, and we've lost touch with what's really important. (Spoiler alert, it's not if your team wins the championship or not)

I'm saying the Caps need to win a damn Cup. Don't be difficult.
  • Dupin likes this

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

I'm saying the Caps need to win a damn Cup. Don't be difficult.

I know. I'm just saying we could be bottom feeders not making the playoffs every year. It could always be worse.

@JeremyMStrain

#18 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

They just don't do well in do or die games period. Doesn't matter who it is. You put any other team in the league in that series and they don't get to 7 against PIT. Stupid playoff seeding breaks what SHOULD have been the Eastern Conference Finals the past couple years.

The only teams we can't seem to beat anymore are the Rangers and the Penguins. The Islanders haven't been good since the mid 90's, but even then they too owned us like slaves. 

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:05 AM

1st round rematch tonight between the Caps and Leafs!

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

Well damn, an already thin blue line will be without their best DMan in Matt Niskanen.  Suffered a hand injury in the NJ game and will be out for the next 10 games.  

I knew Alzner and Shattenkirk would be gone in FA due to cap constraints, but this really highlights why it was a mistake in not protecting Schmidt in the expansion draft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors