Photo

BSL: College Football Deified Dozen (Week 2)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,521 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Ohio State's passing game better take a gigantic leap if they want to run the table.

Seeing some talk of them maybe turning to Haskins soon.

#22 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Ohio State's passing game better take a gigantic leap if they want to run the table.

Seeing some talk of them maybe turning to Haskins soon.

Agreed. Just don't see them beating even Penn St. Michigan also can't score, but their defense will hold them down.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#23 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

If OSU wins out, they will be in the playoff.

All Saturday did was give them less margin for error and effect their ranking should they make the playoff.

What will be interesting is if OSU wins out, OU loses to Ok St and doesn't play for Big 12 title...do you give spot to OSU, who wins their conference or give it to the team that beat them heads up?

Chances are, OSU gets in over them.

Probably Ohio St. Playoffs really need to go to 6 or 8.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#24 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Not sure of the argument of Clemson over Oklahoma. Tigers beat an overrated #13 team at home, and looked meh doing it, though the defense is legit. Sooners went in to Columbus, pummeled the #2 ranked team in the land, and looked great doing it. Seems we all agree with that here, but the Coaches Poll had it the other way.

#25 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

BTW, if OSU doesn't get their secondary under control, this discussion won't matter.

@BSLRobShields

#26 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

Not sure of the argument of Clemson over Oklahoma. Tigers beat an overrated #13 team at home, and looked meh doing it, though the defense is legit. Sooners went in to Columbus, pummeled the #2 ranked team in the land, and looked great doing it. Seems we all agree with that here, but the Coaches Poll had it the other way.

Clemson won the title last year.  (yes, thats stupid but I would bet on that being the reason)

@BSLRobShields

#27 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

If Alabama didn't have a marquee win of their own, Oklahoma would have to be my #1 this week. Although Alabama's marquee win was at a Neutral site an hour and a half from Campus.

#28 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

BTW, if OSU doesn't get their secondary under control, this discussion won't matter.

Not just that. Barrett is mediocre.

#29 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

If Alabama didn't have a marquee win of their own, Oklahoma would have to be my #1 this week. Although Alabama's marquee win was at a Neutral site an hour and a half from Campus.

Oklahoma should be #1.  

There may not be a better win this entire season than that one.

I would also have USC over Clemson right now.

@BSLRobShields

#30 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

Oklahoma should be #1.

There may not be a better win this entire season than that one.

I would also have USC over Clemson right now.

I do, and have. ;)

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for getting your votes in guys. Unfortunately the 9-5 gig is calling, so I won't be able to work on publishing the updated rankings until this evening. It'll be worth the wait.

• BSLChrisStoner and Ricker Says like this

#32 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,465 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for getting your votes in guys. Unfortunately the 9-5 gig is calling, so I won't be able to work on publishing the updated rankings until this evening. It'll be worth the wait.

Screw it - Please swap Oklahoma and Alabama for me. I'll edit my post too. 

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,521 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

Clemson won the title last year.  (yes, thats stupid but I would bet on that being the reason)

Ricker, I'd go with Clemson over OU right now simply because I think on a neutral field... I'd take Clemson.  Oklahoma's defense looks improved, Mayfield one  of the best... but I think Clemson's Front 7 would get a lot of pressure on the Sooners.

Goes back to what were saying earlier... how are you ranking the teams?

If it's by sole credentials of what has taken place to-date, yeah... going to Columbus and winning, trumps beating Auburn at home.

I think the rankings (and you don't have to agree... I like that people vote with their own criteria) should be a combination of what has taken place, what you believe, and what you project.

Definitely won't be shocked if Louisville bites Clemson this week though. Bryant obviously talented... will see how consistent he can be.

Rob, you are probably right that is criteria for some... I don't get that personally. New year, new players... 

#34 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Ricker, I'd go with Clemson over OU right now simply because I think on a neutral field... I'd take Clemson.  Oklahoma's defense looks improved, Mayfield one  of the best... but I think Clemson's Front 7 would get a lot of pressure on the Sooners.

Goes back to what were saying earlier... how are you ranking the teams?

If it's by sole credentials of what has taken place to-date, yeah... going to Columbus and winning, trumps beating Auburn at home.

I think the rankings (and you don't have to agree... I like that people vote with their own criteria) should be a combination of what has taken place, what you believe, and what you project.

Definitely won't be shocked if Louisville bites Clemson this week though. Bryant obviously talented... will see how consistent he can be.

Rob, you are probably right that is criteria for some... I don't get that personally. New year, new players... 

This is the key Chris.

Do you feel Bama is the best team?  If you do, does that mean they are #1 or does the resume do the talking?

I agree that it depends on how you want to do it and lets face it, even if you decide to do it one way, you won't be consistent in your thinking 1-12.

@BSLRobShields

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,182 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

So glad we have these early power house games.

Gives us something to talk about.

If the top 10 had all beaten up on cream puffs the first two weeks this would be a rather boring discussion.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

Agreed Pedro, it's been nice having some big early games.  I like Alabama-Oklahoma #1 & #2 until either one loses.  I don't trust Clemson's offense or USC's defense enough to put either one ahead of the top two, and Penn St has looked tough.  Sure, Ohio State gets in the playoff if they win out, but the way they're playing they don't even come close to doing that.  Urban may not have the horses to overcome a mediocre receiving corp and a less-than-mediocre (so far) secondary. 

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

BSL-Deified-Dozen-Week-2.jpg

http://baltimorespor...-football-poll/

My Rankings:

1) Alabama

2) Oklahoma

3) Clemson

4) USC

5) Penn State

6) LSU

7) Wisconsin

8) Oklahoma State

9) Ohio State

10) Florida State

11) Washington

12) Michigan

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:02 PM

Once you get past our Top 5 there is a pretty big gap to the rest.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,521 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

SI: Week 3 Power Rankings: Defense Makes the Difference in Marquee Games
https://www.si.com/c...gs-top-25-polls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors