Photo

Major college basketball decision looming?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

Being as I'm in Portland, both Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum come to mind. Both were very successful at small schools and ended up being lottery picks. Both stayed in school 4 years (though Lillard left with a year of eligibility remaining due to redshirting with an injury, and McCollum might have been able to get another year for the same reason), but I've never heard either say they would have transferred to a bigger school if they didn't have to sit a year. But they are also just two examples, and I'd say by far they were exceptions, among the hundreds playing D-1 every year.

I know we see lots of graduate transfers nowadays, but how many of them are really impact players? Admittedly I don't follow CBB like I used to, but the ones I have heard of haven't been much more than rotational players who just want a change of scenery for their one final year and don't really make a big difference.

#22 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

I understand the rationale of transfers not sitting out a year when coaches can move about freely despite years left on a contract, but I strongly suspect it will lead to the rich getting richer.  Breakout players at low and mid-majors will get re-recruited and move up the food chain.  Overall, though, probably more right than wrong with allowing immediate eligibility.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,823 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

My only concern is the tampering.  I hate that college football teams continue recruiting high schoolers that are already committed but not yet signed to a LOI.  It's gonna get way worse now that every player is basically a free agent all the time and can switch.  I'm sure they'll put rules in place to prevent against that, but it will undoubtedly be worked around however possible by most coaches and recruiters.

#24 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Seems to me that mid-majors benefit more from this. Increased pools of disgruntled talent from major programs looking for more PT. I don't see exposure for the mid-majors to lose their good freshmen to a major. Maybe a trickle, but not much.

It'll make coaches work harder to keep kids in the fold, that's for sure. It certainly is unfair that kids at the age of 17 make a decision when they know nothing about the world, and then they get punished to sit out a year when they realize they made a mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors