Photo

Major college basketball decision looming?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,831 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

http://usc.247sports...Rules-107001121
@BSLRobShields

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,745 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

Absolutely the right thing to do. Should be able to transfer just like any other student in good academic standing.
  • BSLRobShields likes this

#3 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,008 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

Good.

#4 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,461 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

So now we have to worry about top recruits just arbitrarily leaving or basically being a Free Agent every off-season? (unless previously transferred it seems?) This will just create even more of a power vacuum in all likelihood.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

Good.

The coaches and the ADs want this to be like pro ball except they don't pay the talent. So, make it even more like pro ball and give the players an advantage.

@DJ_McCann

#6 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,008 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

So now we have to worry about top recruits just arbitrarily leaving or basically being a Free Agent every off-season? (unless previously transferred it seems?) This will just create even more of a power vacuum in all likelihood.

It definitely hurts mid-majors. 

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#7 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,461 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

Good.

The coaches and the ADs want this to be like pro ball except they don't pay the talent. So, make it even more like pro ball and give the players an advantage.

Yep, it's only fair. Could have interesting consequences though.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Yep, it's only fair. Could have interesting consequences though.

Consequences are something college sports needs more of.

• BSLMichaelWeber likes this
@DJ_McCann

#9 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,298 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:51 AM

Seems only fair the way schools offer scholarships and then revoke them at will.

• BSLMichaelWeber likes this

@fuzydunlop

#10 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,461 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

Seems only fair the way schools offer scholarships and then revoke them at will.

Among many, many other things schools/administrations/coaches can do that these unpaid players can't.

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,108 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

I think it's fair. If coaches can leave their team right in the middle of their contracts, sometimes right after telling the kids they'll be there for them, then why not? It will also make the offseason for football and MBB much more interesting.

• tennOsfan likes this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,745 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Thread is gonna be real boring if we all agree...stupid NCAA being so behind the ball that everybody thinks rule changes are long overdue.

#13 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

Well obviously it's a benefit to the players.

It will hurt the product pretty significantly though.  Actually I would think that long term this might end up helping more than hurting the players themselves, if it hurts the produce as much as I think it would.

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

Thread is gonna be real boring if we all agree...

Take this angle then....what sport will it have a bigger impact on, football or basketball?

I think football, just because most of the impact players in basketball already leave school after a season or two for the pros.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

Take this angle then....what sport will it have a bigger impact on, football or basketball?

I think football, just because most of the impact players in basketball already leave school after a season or two for the pros.

Basketball. Individual players have a much bigger impact in that sport, so this might mean that those players who do end up at low/mid-major schools transfer out. So you will have fewer teams with those types of players and thus able to seriously contend for championships.

Of course, in football you could see more players moving from backup roles at higher-level schools to starting roles at mids, just like you'll see players move down to I-AA, only by remaining at the top level they get a boost in attention from media and the pros. So that could get more second-tier I-A programs a boost.

So, in conclusion, I don't have a side, I guess :)

@DJ_McCann

#16 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,893 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:49 PM

Good. The sham that is college football and basketball will now be slightly less of a sham.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

Basketball. Individual players have a much bigger impact in that sport, so this might mean that those players who do end up at low/mid-major schools transfer out. So you will have fewer teams with those types of players and thus able to seriously contend for championships.

Of course, in football you could see more players moving from backup roles at higher-level schools to starting roles at mids, just like you'll see players move down to I-AA, only by remaining at the top level they get a boost in attention from media and the pros. So that could get more second-tier I-A programs a boost.

So, in conclusion, I don't have a side, I guess :)

You're right about one individual having a greater impact in basketball, but my point was that those types of players are already leaving school after a year or two.

In the same sense that you mention about backups on the bench at P5 schools transferring to G5 for more playing time, I'd be curious to see how many guys that were overlooked coming out of high school by the big programs transfer up, if they prove themselves at a G5 school, to show for NFL scouts against better competition.

I definitely think we would see more transfers following a coaching change. While transfers are typical in that situation, I have to think losing a year of eligibility also prevents some kids from doing it who otherwise want to.

#18 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

I think you would see a TON of transfers in BB.  We already see a lot of them with the current system in place.  It's sort of the modern mindset - if it's not working for you here, go somewhere else.

I could see this pretty much being the end of college BB as we know it.  And I'm not trying to sound melodramatic about it, but it would have a pretty serious affect.  

Not saying it shouldn't be done.  Honestly I don't really care either way.  Seems fair to let them transfer, but the game would suffer.

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,831 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

So do you guys think overlooked players will go somewhere, blow up and then just change schools and go to bigger programs?
@BSLRobShields

#20 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,008 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

So do you guys think overlooked players will go somewhere, blow up and then just change schools and go to bigger programs?

They basically do that now anyway. Coaches can (and do) get in  these type of players' ears no matter what.

It's just now there won't be a year-long sit-out period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors