Photo

BSL: College Football Deified Dozen (Week 1)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

BSL-Deified-Dozen-Week-1.jpg

http://baltimorespor...-football-poll/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Florida State

4. Clemson

5. Oklahoma

6. Penn State

7. USC

8. Wisconsin

9. Washington

10. Oklahoma State

11. Michigan

12. LSU

@BSLZackKiesel

#3 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,503 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

1. Ohio State

2. Alabama

3. USC

4. Penn State

5. Oklahoma

6. Clemson

7. Florida State

8. Wisconsin

9. Oklahoma St

10. Michigan

11. Washington

12. LSU

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#4 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,503 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

Right now, Ohio State/Bama/USC/PSU/Oklahoma/Clemson are in a different class than the others in my rankings, IMO. Not sure yet about Wisconsin, Oklahoma St. and Michigan, who are the clear next 3 for me who could join that group. Florida St., without Francois can't be viewed as a legitimate threat at this point.

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Alabama

Ohio State (oh this hurts me so badly)

USC

Oklahoma

Clemson

Penn State

Oklahoma State

Michigan

LSU

Wisconsin

Washington

Florida State (although I am tempted to drop the completely with the loss of their QB).

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Here's how I'm looking at things:

For the playoff, I think we're basically look at the Big Ten East Champ, the ACC Atlantic Champ, The Pac 12 Champ, and the SEC West Champ...   but maybe Wisconsin, Miami / VaTech, Georgia, and the Big 12 will prove that wrong.

I don't believe there are 12-15 teams better than FSU, but with Francois' injury, I'm knocking them significantly down until I see the backup. Also, I don't think they were 'eliminated' by losing to Bama, but do think they'd have to run the table and I don't see that happening.

If you don't think the Seminoles can win out, then the ACC Atlantic's hopes ride with Clemson, and Louisville.  I think the Cards could beat a lot of teams, but would be surprised to see them get through the season with just 1 loss. Clemson looked pretty strong in the opener. Lost Watson, but plenty of others on the roster who have been part of the last 2 teams. Huge recruiting classes. They are clearly the favorite at this point imo to represent the ACC.

That said, obviously too early to eliminate Miami or VaTech. Can they get through their seasons with 1 loss, and beat Clemson in the ACC Championship? Not impossible.

I think Florida is better than they showed vs. Michigan, but don't expect them to run the table either.  So the SEC East's hopes imo ride with Georgia, or Tennessee (who could lose tonight).  If the SEC East champ can get to the SEC Title game with 1 loss, and win... they can get in. That's going to be a tall order.

Don't think I'm going on a limb to say that I prefer the SEC West Champ.  Clearly I favor Alabama, but LSU's overall talent gives them a punchers chance, and many people like Auburn this year. 

Ohio State should be favored to win the Big Ten East, but it should be a fight.  Even accounting for all of the suspensions Florida had, they were manhandled by the Wolverines. Penn State broke through last year, and is stacking classes.

How those team do head-to-head, but also against Michigan State, MD, and Indiana will tell the story. As will their games vs. the West. 

The Big Ten West looks like Wisconsin's to lose...  but Nebraska, NW, Iowa could surprise.  (I'm looking forward to Nebraska / Oregon this weekend to get a better sense of both.)

Overall, I'll take Urban Meyer as the favorite there.

Pac 12... wouldn't be shocked by any of Stanford, Washington, Oregon, or USC winning the conference.  USC and Stanford coming up soon. That will obviously be telling.

Big 12?  They really could use Oklahoma to get that road W in Columbus this week.  I was impressed by Oklahoma State trashing Tulsa.  Maybe TCU emerges.  Texas losing to MD, and Baylor losing to Liberty doesn't give me a lot of confidence that their conference won't be left out again.

#7 BSLCTSchwink

BSLCTSchwink

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

Rankings and some assorted thoughts:

1-Alabama - Roll Tide

2-Ohio State - Scored 49 and didn't even play well

3-Oklahoma - Baker Mayfield lookin mighty fine

4-Michigan - Strong win to open the season. Not quiiite a playoff team, but deserve this spot for now

5-Washington - Won big in a tricky spot across the country against a kinda-competent Rutgers team

6-Penn State 

7-Oklahoma State

8-Wisconsin

9-USC - I was criticized for criticizing the USC hype train, but they looked shaky there for a while

10-Florida State - Played valiantly. Probably in troubz for the playoff with Francois out. Bummer.

11-LSU - Tigers dominated BYU. Impressive win

12-Stanford - Took care of business against Rice. Hyped for this USC showdown next week!

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

Rankings and some assorted thoughts:

1-Alabama - Roll Tide

4-Michigan - Strong win to open the season. Not quiiite a playoff team, but deserve this spot for now

5-Washington - Won big in a tricky spot across the country against a kinda-competent Rutgers team

6-Penn State 

7-Oklahoma State

8-Wisconsin

9-USC - I was criticized for criticizing the USC hype train, but they looked shaky there for a while

10-Florida State - Played valiantly. Probably in troubz for the playoff with Francois out. Bummer.

12-Stanford - Took care of business against Rice. Hyped for this USC showdown next week!

Did you sour on Clemson after having them #6 last week, or just an oversight?

#9 BSLCTSchwink

BSLCTSchwink

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

Did you sour on Clemson after having them #6 last week, or just an oversight?

Oversight. So I'm going to drop them into Florida State's spot. Mostly because they're like a lot of teams on this list that didn't really play anyone. And I nearly dropped FSU just because of the loss, but I thought they played well enough to get some credit. Without Francois, though, Stanford and LSU are definitely better. Bye bye Noles.

1-Alabama - Roll Tide

6-Penn State 

7-Oklahoma State

8-Wisconsin

10-Florida State Clemson

#10 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

1. Alabama
  2. Ohio State
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Penn State
  5. Clemson
  6. Southern California
  7. Florida St
  8. Oklahoma St
  9. Auburn
  10. Washington
  11. LSU
  12. Wisconsin

I would have put Ohio State at 2.5 but I figured it would screw up the tabulation of the poll-that's how much of a gap I see right now between Alabama and everyone else.  I think Francois' injury could give Clemson a nice opening to get back to the playoff-I don't see Louisville challenging them.  Still not buying Michigan and I probably won't change my mind unless they beat Penn State next month.  I think Ohio State-Oklahoma could be the game we were hoping Alabama-Florida State would be, and that winner claims an early inside track to the playoff, although the loser would still be very much alive.

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

Going to be pretty tough for the 'Noles now. Looks like they are going with the true freshman to start at QB. Pretty tough spot to get thrust into action.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

Going to be pretty tough for the 'Noles now. Looks like they are going with the true freshman to start at QB. Pretty tough spot to get thrust into action.

All depends on the individual, really. Kasim Hill was thrown into a tough situation and he almost made it look easy. The kid last night from Texas A&M that had to take over, with a huge lead as cushion, didn't fare well at all.

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,191 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Just got back from a wedding Mike. When do you need this by?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 64,013 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

USC doesn't have a bye week this whole year.  They also have to play at Washington St in a short week.

Going to be tough for them to lose 1 or fewer games.

Not convinced an ACC team gets into the playoff.

I think Bama and OSU are as big a locks as you can have at this point.  I like OK St or Oklahoma to get in...with the edge to State.

After that, Washington/USC/Stanford winner could be in provided they have 1 or less losses. 

Wouldn't be shocked to see 2 SEC schools this year.

@BSLRobShields

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Just got back from a wedding Mike. When do you need this by?

Whenever you get a chance. If not until tomorrow, that's okay. I have pretty much everything ready to go once I plug your info in.

#16 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,503 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

USC doesn't have a bye week this whole year. They also have to play at Washington St in a short week.

Going to be tough for them to lose 1 or fewer games.

Not convinced an ACC team gets into the playoff.

I think Bama and OSU are as big a locks as you can have at this point. I like OK St or Oklahoma to get in...with the edge to State.

After that, Washington/USC/Stanford winner could be in provided they have 1 or less losses.

Wouldn't be shocked to see 2 SEC schools this year.

Good post. Agree all around. Still think USC has the talent to make it.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

I'll be very surprised to see a conference get 2 teams in.  In that example (the SEC), what's the scenario?  2 from the West? Both division champs, with 1 of them losing in the conference championship?

If it's 2 from the same division, that would be saying a non-Conf winner, non-Division winner was better then one of the Conference Champs...  two of the winners out of the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12 would be left out.

I think that is extremely unlikely to happen.

#18 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,503 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

It's obviously going to be Auburn and Alabama after the Tigers big Iron Bowl victory. ;)

#19 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,191 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

Ok, here is mine:

1.  Alabama

2.  Ohio State

3.  Oklahoma

4.  Clemson

5.  Penn State

6.  USC

7.  Florida State

8.  Wisconsin

9.  Michigan

10.  Oklahoma State

11. LSU

12.  Auburn

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#20 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,503 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

Auburn looked like shite, don't let the score fool you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors