#1 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

Some discussion about the Ravens perilous QB position, a looming back-up QB controversy, and the ever present Colin Kaepernick discussion.

http://baltimorespor...ion-preview-qb/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@gabefergy

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Nice article Gabe.   I sense Joe will be better appreciated when his career ends.

For all the injuries that have occurred so far, it is amazing how any interest in this season comes down to Flacco's health alone.

He plays 16 games, and he helps the offense be around average... this can be a playoff team.
He has a set-back, and misses some time.... that will put the Ravens in a danger scenario.
He misses significant time, and the season is over.

Assuming health, all I want to see from Joe this year is improved mechanics. The last 2 years have been tough (and puzzling) to watch. He never had these habits of throwing off the back foot. Somehow it's become the norm.

Beyond that, were all the check downs and attempts.  As we've talked over and over...  get some balance back into the office. Run the ball effectively. Set-up play action. Hit the wr's over the top once defenses have come up to help against the run.

Less attempts overall, and an increase in YPA is what I'm expecting. Probably also a corresponding drop in completion %.

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,831 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

Nice article Gabe.   I sense Joe will be better appreciated when his career ends.

For all the injuries that have occurred so far, it is amazing how any interest in this season comes down to Flacco's health alone.

He plays 16 games, and he helps the offense be around average... this can be a playoff team.
He has a set-back, and misses some time.... that will put the Ravens in a danger scenario.
He misses significant time, and the season is over.

Assuming health, all I want to see from Joe this year is improved mechanics. The last 2 years have been tough (and puzzling) to watch. He never had these habits of throwing off the back foot. Somehow it's become the norm.

Beyond that, were all the check downs and attempts.  As we've talked over and over...  get some balance back into the office. Run the ball effectively. Set-up play action. Hit the wr's over the top once defenses have come up to help against the run.

Less attempts overall, and an increase in YPA is what I'm expecting. Probably also a corresponding drop in completion %.

I think (hope) the bad mechanics are all about the knee and his hesitation to step into throws because of that knee.

I would agree that is the worst part of him the last 1.5 years.  That has caused so many issues.

Joe is always going to have that Favre/Cutler gunslinger mentality...can throw it through any window and make any throw.  Sometimes he can, sometimes he can't.  He uses the middle of the field better now than he has before.

The problem is those mechanics, along with the awful offense they have been calling.

Improve both of them and he will be and is fine.

I find it interesting that I have seen various things talking about him  being a sleeper fantasy QB.  I am surprised by that.

@BSLRobShields

#4 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

It's all good, Josh Woodrum is going to be the next Kurt Warner.

#5 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

I was honestly a little surprised at how well Woodrum tested athletically. I knew he like fared well just by watching him play, but depending on what methodology you you use he is somewhere in the upper 20% at the QB position. His 3 cone of 6.74 seconds is an elite number. He doesn't have a huge arm but it seems to be good enough.

@gabefergy

#6 butch39

butch39
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

The article describing the Ravens current QB predicament is a topic I've been bringing up for some time now. First and foremost, Flacco's salary and cap hit are a result of the Ravens top brass rolling the dice in Flacco's comtract year, and losing out! Had the Ravens taken care of Flacco's contract prior to the start of that season, he would have signed for far less money! That ship has sailed! The problem has been a reluctance by the Ravens to find and develop a quality back-up QB. Mallet, Shaub, and Clausen are terrible! They've been consistently bad and inconsistent regardless of the players around them. What Mallet has shown this season is a continuation of his lack of accuracy, touch, mobility, and inability to read defenses. The relative health of Flacco has allowed the Ravens to generally get away with it. Mallet is clearly not the answer if Flacco has to miss more than a few games once the season starts. Woodrum deserves a chance to play with and against 1st team players. In fact Thad Lewis has a better resume and track record than Mallet! The fact that Mallet is stealing 2 million in salary, is yet another reason to cut him loose! Additionally, if the Ravens don't have the courage to sign Kaepernick, or at least find out if he'll play for the same salary Mallet's getting, there will be other options from the final waiver wire if Woodrum doesn't work out.

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,831 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

1) They did draft and develop Taylor as a back up.

2) The Ravens tried to sign Joe earlier. He gambled on himself.

@BSLRobShields

#8 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

The article describing the Ravens current QB predicament is a topic I've been bringing up for some time now. First and foremost, Flacco's salary and cap hit are a result of the Ravens top brass rolling the dice in Flacco's comtract year, and losing out! Had the Ravens taken care of Flacco's contract prior to the start of that season, he would have signed for far less money! That ship has sailed! The problem has been a reluctance by the Ravens to find and develop a quality back-up QB. Mallet, Shaub, and Clausen are terrible! They've been consistently bad and inconsistent regardless of the players around them. What Mallet has shown this season is a continuation of his lack of accuracy, touch, mobility, and inability to read defenses. The relative health of Flacco has allowed the Ravens to generally get away with it. Mallet is clearly not the answer if Flacco has to miss more than a few games once the season starts. Woodrum deserves a chance to play with and against 1st team players. In fact Thad Lewis has a better resume and track record than Mallet! The fact that Mallet is stealing 2 million in salary, is yet another reason to cut him loose! Additionally, if the Ravens don't have the courage to sign Kaepernick, or at least find out if he'll play for the same salary Mallet's getting, there will be other options from the final waiver wire if Woodrum doesn't work out.

Thanks for posting! Also you make a lot of good points. The Ravens were kind of in a bad position with Flacco and ended up paying him more money than he probably should have gotten because of the circumstances. Not taking anything away from Flacco. He's the reason the Ravens won a SB that season and for better or worse, he got paid for his play. There's no way the Ravens could walk away from him after that.

It's also a good point about the back-up QB situation. The Ravens have always gone cheap there because Flacco has been durable. When he got hurt in 2015 it blew up (not that the team was good anyway that year). Mallett is clearly not the answer, but because the Ravens are always in a tight cap situation and generally in need of talent they can't invest properly in the QB position either through FA or the draft so they got stuck with picking from the garbage pile.

There certainly might be a better option once players get cut, but it's also hard to bring someone new in and throw them into the fire right away. I felt like CK would be a bit different because of his confort level with Roman and his overall level of talent would help. Without Kaepernick, the Ravens best option is to put Woodrum out there and at least see what he can do. 

@gabefergy

#9 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Getting Mallett at the time was kind of a steal. He had some good tools but his attitude was in question. Now, he looks like he doesn't belong on an NFL field. Sometimes you have to give the hot hand a look. Woodrum should start Saturday, or he should at least split 1st team reps with Mallett.

If Flacco is out for a long time, we're definitely screwed with Mallett and probably screwed with Woodrum, but I would definitely take probably over definitely.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,273 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

Honestly, I'm done with the 6-9 win seasons. We need 1 of 2 things. Either the defense is elite and the offense is good enough to be a legit SB contender or Flacco is done and you tank the season to try to get one of the top QBs in the draft. No in between. For a competent FO a mediocre season is the worst case scenario. You need a total collapse so they can get their pick of the elite prospects to build around.

#11 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

Honestly, I'm done with the 6-9 win seasons. We need 1 of 2 things. Either the defense is elite and the offense is good enough to be a legit SB contender or Flacco is done and you tank the season to try to get one of the top QBs in the draft. No in between. For a competent FO a mediocre season is the worst case scenario. You need a total collapse so they can get their pick of the elite prospects to build around.

I think we're pretty close to that now.

#12 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

Getting Mallett at the time was kind of a steal. He had some good tools but his attitude was in question. Now, he looks like he doesn't belong on an NFL field. Sometimes you have to give the hot hand a look. Woodrum should start Saturday, or he should at least split 1st team reps with Mallett.

If Flacco is out for a long time, we're definitely screwed with Mallett and probably screwed with Woodrum, but I would definitely take probably over definitely.

Mallett was not a steal. He had been in the league for 5 seasons and was barely an afterthought by the time the Ravens picked him up. NE spent a 3rd round pick on him and traded him for a conditional 6th. He quickly wore out his welcome in Houston and he was released, and was only picked up by Baltimore because they were desperate after Schaub got hurt. He was literally unemployed for 2 months in the middle of the season before the Ravens signed him.

@gabefergy

#13 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

Mallett was not a steal. He had been in the league for 5 seasons and was barely an afterthought by the time the Ravens picked him up. NE spent a 3rd round pick on him and traded him for a conditional 6th. He quickly wore out his welcome in Houston and he was released, and was only picked up by Baltimore because they were desperate after Schaub got hurt. He was literally unemployed for 2 months in the middle of the season before the Ravens signed him.

I thought there was some good press about getting him to be a backup back then. Could be wrong.

#14 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

I thought there was some good press about getting him to be a backup back then. Could be wrong.

Could be that there was some positive press at the time, but Mallett certainly had done nothing to demonstrate competency at QB. He did have a strong pedigree and because he was drafted by NE, there was always some notion that he was better than he actually was. The fact that he was sitting around un-signed in the middle of the season suggest the NFL was not very interested in him though.

@gabefergy

#15 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

Could be that there was some positive press at the time, but Mallett certainly had done nothing to demonstrate competency at QB. He did have a strong pedigree and because he was drafted by NE, there was always some notion that he was better than he actually was. The fact that he was sitting around un-signed in the middle of the season suggest the NFL was not very interested in him though.

Right. Yeah there's always some shine when the Patriots don't immediately shitcan you, but he was pretty good at Arkansas. His time in Houston didn't do him any favors but  I still thought he could become one of the better back ups in the league, at the time.

He should be cut, now.

• BSLGabeFerguson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors