Photo

BSL: The BIG Blog / Big Ten Basketball Talk (2017-18)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BSLRaphielleJohnson

BSLRaphielleJohnson

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

BSL: Roster Moves Aplenty in the Big Ten
http://baltimorespor...plenty-big-ten/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#2 BSLRaphielleJohnson

BSLRaphielleJohnson

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

This one deals with the top half of the conference (mean that alphabetically speaking), with Michigan State and Minnesota looking like the early favorites. I'll touch on the other seven programs later this week. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 BSLRaphielleJohnson

BSLRaphielleJohnson

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

BSL: Big Ten Roster Updates Part 2

http://baltimorespor...updates-part-2/

#4 BSLRaphielleJohnson

BSLRaphielleJohnson

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

Apparently JaQuan Lyle quit the team at Ohio State last month, so there's another departure they have to account for. 

https://twitter.com/...477367775404034

#5 BSLRaphielleJohnson

BSLRaphielleJohnson

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

Rutgers landed 6-foot-10 center Myles Johnson this afternoon, giving them another body to call upon inside next season. 

#6 BSLRaphielleJohnson

BSLRaphielleJohnson

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

Indiana's James Blackmon Jr. is officially going pro, as announced last week. 

#7 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Big 10 Conference Basketball Schedule

Just announced.

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,496 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

Conference games start in early December on account of the conference tourney ending two weeks before the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Conference games start in early December on account of the conference tourney ending two weeks before the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.

Genuinely curious. Do you Terps fan / Big Ten fans even care about playing at MSG? Is it worth conference games in early December?

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,496 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

Couldn't care less about it being in MSG.

I know pretty much every B1G fan hated the tourney being in DC except Terps fans. So I guess they're having it at MSG for....Rutgers fans?
  • BSLChrisBacon likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:14 AM

Genuinely curious. Do you Terps fan / Big Ten fans even care about playing at MSG? Is it worth conference games in early December?

Don't care at all about playing in MSG, and I think it's a really bad idea because of having to shoehorn games in early Dec and then sit around for a week in March while everyone else is playing conference tournaments.

And for a team like MD that will be relying on a lot of younger players I really don't like having to play Purdue on Dec 1. Would much rather face them after they've had a chance to get more games under their belt.

• BSLChrisBacon likes this

#12 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Agree with both of you. It just doesn't make sense. I know it will piss off most Maryland fans, but I've always felt like the Big Ten Tournament should rotate between Chicago and Indianapolis. 

If the conference would like to maintain an East Coast presence every few years too, keep giving it to DC. No way games at MSG will entice many Rutgers fans (if any Rutgers basketball fans even exist).

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

If the conference would like to maintain an East Coast presence every few years too, keep giving it to DC. No way games at MSG will entice many Rutgers fans (if any Rutgers basketball fans even exist).

There will be more fans of teams like Michigan and OSU than there will be Rutgers fans in the seats at MSG, bet on it.

#14 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

There will be more fans of teams like Michigan and OSU than there will be Rutgers fans in the seats at MSG, bet on it.

Oh for sure. More Maryland fans and all the others too, I bet.

#15 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

I'm in agreement with everyone that screwing up the entire Big 10 season schedule just for the ego trip of playing at Madison Square Garden is stupid.  I wonder if the Barclay Center was available?  Still New York.  The Big 10 basketball tournament just doesn't have the cache that the Big East or ACC does to fill the Garden.  What a waste.  It will be interesting to see how having over a week off will impact teams in the first round of the NCAA tournament. 

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

I'm in agreement with everyone that screwing up the entire Big 10 season schedule just for the ego trip of playing at Madison Square Garden is stupid.  I wonder if the Barclay Center was available?  Still New York.  The Big 10 basketball tournament just doesn't have the cache that the Big East or ACC does to fill the Garden.  What a waste.  It will be interesting to see how having over a week off will impact teams in the first round of the NCAA tournament. 

The Atlantic 10 held their tournament at Barclays during Tourney Week for a while. But I think the ACC is doing it there this coming season.

#17 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,900 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

This is part of the B1G onboarding program for Maryland and Rutgers. People need to get over it. I appreciate the gesture after being an after thought in the ACC.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:33 PM

They could have done it at Prudential Center in Newark. Right across the river from NYC and even closer to Rutgers.

#19 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,900 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:00 AM

They could have done it at Prudential Center in Newark. Right across the river from NYC and even closer to Rutgers.

Sure, sure... but MSG! Benefits Rutgers that way too. They certainly want to increase their fan base in Manhattan. It's just not a big deal. It's a one-off anyway.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,294 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Former Michigan State basketball coach Jud Heathcote passed away at the age of 90.

Not only did he recruit Magic Johnson and win the Spartans first national championship, he built one of the most consistent programs in the nation and planted a pretty impressive coaching tree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors