33 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

The Ravens do not have any Julio Jones, Elliott, Bryant, Bell, Brown, those type guys, but they do have guys who are very capable of making plays. Wallace, Maclin to name a few. West is not an Elliot but he is capable of being oa good back.

Do they have an elite play maker, no but most teams don't. What people who are making that argument miss totally, is this team has won a hell of a lot of football games over the last 20 years and in most of those years did not have an elite play maker.

The offense can be efficient and if the defense improves their 4th quarter performance, I think it can be a better year than last year.

I am somewhere around 9-10 wins.

ROFL. They can't be an efficient offense. They've shown nothing but the opposite of being efficient 3 out of the last 4 years(thank you Gary Kubiak). Joe's best years with Cam weren't because we were that efficient. Go look at his QB ratings and QBR numbers. It was good enough because we had Ray Rice and we got enough explosive plays with Torrey through catches or PIs drawn. This offense is a long way from our '11 or '12 teams which wasn't anything to brag about anyway. If you're relying on a 2000-2001 offense which was horrible and relied so heavily on the defense to score or put them in position to score to get you to 10 wins you're not being realistic

#22 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

It's also great in theory to say we need to run the ball more and planning to do that. The problem is going to be when that gets stuffed and you feel like you have to go back to throwing the ball all over the field. Rob is right that the receiving corp is solid on paper. Not great, no big playmakers, but solid vets mixed with some intriguing young players. The problem is going to be falling back into that mix of throwing too much with an inefficient and turnover prone QB who can't use his best attribute in the playaction because teams dont respect our running game.

#23 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,986 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

It's also great in theory to say we need to run the ball more and planning to do that. The problem is going to be when that gets stuffed and you feel like you have to go back to throwing the ball all over the field. Rob is right that the receiving corp is solid on paper. Not great, no big playmakers, but solid vets mixed with some intriguing young players. The problem is going to be falling back into that mix of throwing too much with an inefficient and turnover prone QB who can't use his best attribute in the playaction because teams dont respect our running game.

Well, one thing is for sure..if you don't commit to the running game, this won't be a good offense.  I think the running game can be good enough and all of them can catch the ball out of the backfield, which is nice.

West did almost run for 800 yards last year while carrying the ball less than 200 times.

But he isn't a guy that is going to bust out many (if any) 30+ yard runs.

Now, what I will say about our backs is that if we have the lead in the 4Q and the game plan is correct, we have big backs that can wear down lines.  That could be very important in terms of holding leads, both for the offense and the defense.

But they have to get those leads.

@BSLRobShields

#24 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

Let's not forget that our shitty offense last year had us in place to win at least 2 more games, maybe ore if memory serves, only to lose the game because of the defensive backfield.  That has been addressed and this D looks ferocious.  As long as we remain realtively healthy I believe them giving up 4th quarter leads will be a thing of the past.  I believe Greg Roman will have a very positive influence on the running game which will have a trickle down effect on both Joe and the O, as well as the D.  I believe Maclin is an upgrade over Steve Smith from last year.  I believe our special teams will be much improved over last year.  So again, it comes down to the Offensive Line keeping Joe upright.  If that happens, I can see 10 wins and maybe 11.  If the O line sucks and Joe gets battered then we will be 8-8 at best.

#25 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,986 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

It really is amazing how different things COULD be with just better play calling.  

Basically a similar cast of characters but better play calling would make a world of difference IMO.

Of course, the players have to execute but there shouldn't be one game plan (again, unless you see something like you did in the Miami game last year) that calls for Joe to throw it more than 35 times.  

Sometimes, the game plan gets altered for various reasons and we all understand that.  But there was no doubt that they went into many of these games last year with the thought Joe SHOULD throw it 40+ times.

His back injury could be a blessing in disguise in some ways because maybe it will cause them to realize they need to protect him more.

• Hooded Viper likes this
@BSLRobShields

#26 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

14-2

• Hooded Viper and BSLMikeRandall like this
@Miller192

#27 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

Text Chris and let him know someone hacked his account.
  • Miller192 likes this

#28 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

If the Ravens signed Wagner in the offseason and let BWIll go in FA, would you feel any differently about the team today than you do now?

Yes. I also don't think I would have paid him what he got though.  I also wouldn't have paid BWill to stop the run in a passing league. Could have made more upgrades to the O-line with the money saved in having Pierce at NT.

@BSLMikeRandall

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,957 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

I got them anywhere from 2-14 to 11-5

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#30 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

They'll be competitive for a playoff spot, I think. The defense is going to keep this team in games, and Joe is going to lead a couple unlikely comebacks that supercede our team's talent overall and the defense in those situations will hold. Thas has been our downfall the last 4 years. Joe has led a fair number of comebacks, but this defense cannot hold leads. I think that changes this year. 

And I think that impact overall, will actually have a stronger swing on the overall record of this team than folks think.

I also think Roman and the defense improvement will lead to more running, more clock being bled down, Joe not throwing it 40+ time a game, and a much more historically Ravens style grind it out 4th quarters. 

#31 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

I realize there are a lot of close games and a few breaks here and there are the difference in being say 6-10 or 10-6. I also think that with a football IQ and self awareness that last years team could have won 11 games, at least. They probably go 6-10 last year if Tucker wasn't perfect.

I think 6-10 is how good they are now, with the capability to go 8-8 with good breaks, and 4-12 if they don't catch any breaks.

4-12 more like if Flacco's back causes him to miss real games. More injuries pile up. Justin Tucker doesn't save the day a few times like last year.

6-10 if nothing changes. No commitment to running the ball, Flacco is meh, defense is great until the 4th quarter starts, Harbaughs game management leaves us scratching our heads, still lots of penalty flags. 

8-8 if they commit more to running and winning TOP, remains somewhat healthy, Flacco is on board with running the ball and not a strictly shotgun QB. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#32 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,986 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

I just think the defense and ST are too good to lose 10+ games unless we have some truly significant injuries.

• Mike B and BSLGabeFerguson like this
@BSLRobShields

#33 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

Agreed with what Rob said here. I think the defense could be special. And there's a real chance that we could create a dominant group in our front 7 (both on the line...and with the edge rushers) or with the back 7 (Jefferson being a safety in the box, Webb sliding back and forth between FS and NCB, Humprhey taking a bit step forward). 

I'll grant folks, the offense comes with a huge amount of uncertainty and Joe not even practicing isn't helping the case for anyone trying to argue for their positive. I'll caveat all my predictions on a healthy Joe and say that things could go much much better than we've seen. 

And there's a ton of variance due to the fact that joe just won't play in a preseason game. 

#34 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

On July 24th FO had our playoff odds at 38%. Don't know where they have us today or if they Even factor in the uncertainty surrounding our camp. Even then I would have said 38% was high then I don't think it was way high. I would have said somewhere around 33-35 %. With the way camp has played out with Flacco and the OL along with the Dixon injury I have to downgrade that to somewhere around 25%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors