#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 87,039 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

CBS Sports: Ravens Predicted Record

https://www.cbssport...per-bowl-champ/

Prisco has the Ravens finishing 8-8... gives a score prediction for each week.

#2 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:32 AM

I said 6-10 and got lambasted for it. 

I'm sticking by that.

Too many injuries.

Flacco apologists are seeing every excuse in the book play out for another bad year from him. 

Defense looks great. But 4th quarter defense is TBD.

@BSLMikeRandall

#3 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,066 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:23 AM

It's hard to see them do better than 8-8 at this point. But things can always break our way and we can go 10-6. With this defense they really need to run the ball and control TOP. Keep the D rested. Flacco shouldn't come close to having the most attempts again this year.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

I think the team could go anywhere from Mike's 6 win prediction to 11 wins.

I guess I am a Flacco apologist, but if the running game returns, I could see him returning to 2014 levels.

It all comes down to him being healthy, and us being able to run the ball.

@mikeghg

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

As for Prisco, take a look a little closer at his predictions.  It is home team heavy.

I am sure it took some work, but I have visions of him speeding through the games each week, centering on teams he likes and basically going with the home team in most of the other games.

@mikeghg

#6 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

8-8 is a good starting point because a two win swing puts you at 10 wins a two loss swing puts you at Mike's.  Starting off at 6 wins there is just no way I see this team only winning 4 games.  Sorry not happening.  You can hope and wish for it all you want but I don't see it.  I don't think I am an apologist for Joe.  I think he is a good QB with a big arm that has trouble reading defenses.  He is anywhere from 10-15 ranked qb depending on the year.  If they found a way to incorporate PI's into stats or QBR I think he would be looked at more favorably.  A couple bad injuries I could see a 6 win season like if Joe or key defense people get hurt or Oline. As constructed right now and who is playing no.  

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 87,039 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

8-8 is a good starting point because a two win swing puts you at 10 wins a two loss swing puts you at Mike's. 

I think this is a good way to look at things.

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

8-8 is a good starting point because a two win swing puts you at 10 wins a two loss swing puts you at Mike's. Starting off at 6 wins there is just no way I see this team only winning 4 games. Sorry not happening. You can hope and wish for it all you want but I don't see it. I don't think I am an apologist for Joe. I think he is a good QB with a big arm that has trouble reading defenses. He is anywhere from 10-15 ranked qb depending on the year. If they found a way to incorporate PI's into stats or QBR I think he would be looked at more favorably. A couple bad injuries I could see a 6 win season like if Joe or key defense people get hurt or Oline. As constructed right now and who is playing no.

Agreed....I think your ranking of Joe is probably right on. Joe went from a low interception guy to a high interception guy as we decided we were going to throw 50 times a game.
I think we are going to power run the ball this year. If we are successful in that, I think Joe will have a lot less passing yards, which will be a good thing. The offense and Joe will be better for it
@mikeghg

#9 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

8-8 is reasonable, especially with the mounting injuries. I could see anywhere 7-10 realistically, but if I had to choose an exact number it's 9-7. 

@gabefergy

#10 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

Wannabe Philanthropist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Range: 6-10 to 10-6. Count me in for 7-9, maybe 8-8. I see us going 2-4 (maybe even 1-5) against the AFC North. This may change the closer we get to the season... but, for now, I'm seeing a rough year ahead. I'm excited for our defense's future, but the O needs to step up. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

Range: 6-10 to 10-6. Count me in for 7-9, maybe 8-8. I see us going 2-4 (maybe even 1-5) against the AFC North. This may change the closer we get to the season... but, for now, I'm seeing a rough year ahead. I'm excited for our defense's future, but the O needs to step up. 

Fair assessment, but the low prediction in division is where I think the record could flex up/  

\If Joe plays, I think we go 3-3 or maybe 4-2 in division.

I am not ready to bury the offense.  I think, we will be better on offense then many anticipate. I guess I am a glass half full-type.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@mikeghg

#12 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

I am not ready to bury the offense.  I think, we will be better on offense then many anticipate. I guess I am a glass half full-type.

I just don't see this offense being demonstrably better or worse than last year. And I think Roman being here could be a much bigger plus up from scheme and approach than any one personnel decision. 

I don't think they'll be great, or even call them good. But I would say that right now I think they can be good enough. 

#13 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

No reason to expect this to be a winning team. I consider a winning team to be at least 9-7. Could happen but I think if we played the season 100 times we'd most often win 7-8 games.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

I just don't see this offense being demonstrably better or worse than last year. And I think Roman being here could be a much bigger plus up from scheme and approach than any one personnel decision. 

I don't think they'll be great, or even call them good. But I would say that right now I think they can be good enough. 

I think in numbers they will be worse, but in this case Stats are for losers.

In my perfect world we get back to running 25 to 30 times a game, which means we throw a similar amount.    

I think the defenses stay back early in the year until we prove, 1. we are dedicated to the run and 2. that we are efficient in the run game.

I think we can.  I like the bigger Oline.  Big guys usually do well down hill where they can deliver the blow.    D lines will not be able to pin their ears back, which will make Joe more efficient.  Play Action, please.

@mikeghg

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,984 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

I want to see what they do before the season starts.  Do they add a better #2 RB?  Do they add another interior OLineman?  (hopefully someone better than Zuttah but he is probably better than nothing)

If they do those things, the offense has more upside than people are giving it credit for IMO.  When I say that, I do not believe it will be some great offense but it can be an average-ish offense and that could be enough to win a lot of games.

ST and defense should be very good.  The schedule isn't "easy" but its not daunting either.

That being said, I don't have an issue with an 8-8 prediction because we haven't made those moves on offense yet and Joe could take some time to gel with everyone and feel comfortable with the back.

He admitted having some moments of being careful on his knee...The mental aspect of injuries seems to be the hardest part to get over.  Will that be in his mind as he drops back to throw?  If so, that could certainly hurt the offense.

@BSLRobShields

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

I want to see what they do before the season starts.  Do they add a better #2 RB?  Do they add another interior OLineman?  (hopefully someone better than Zuttah but he is probably better than nothing)

If they do those things, the offense has more upside than people are giving it credit for IMO.  When I say that, I do not believe it will be some great offense but it can be an average-ish offense and that could be enough to win a lot of games.

ST and defense should be very good.  The schedule isn't "easy" but its not daunting either.

That being said, I don't have an issue with an 8-8 prediction because we haven't made those moves on offense yet and Joe could take some time to gel with everyone and feel comfortable with the back.

He admitted having some moments of being careful on his knee...The mental aspect of injuries seems to be the hardest part to get over.  Will that be in his mind as he drops back to throw?  If so, that could certainly hurt the offense.

Good Post......I hear (not so much here) people complaining about what they saw against the Redskins.   Who cares about last Thursday's game.  No Flacco, Yanda, Maclin, Watson, Wallace, Woodhead, Howard etc.

I am not as concerned at RB as you are, but would like to see them add either a speed back or a power back.  I have not given up on Buck Allen, because I think a power approach suits him.`

@mikeghg

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,984 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

If the Ravens signed Wagner in the offseason and let BWIll go in FA, would you feel any differently about the team today than you do now?

@BSLRobShields

#18 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

No, there is still no playmakers on offense. People need to get that through their head. Our best playmakers last year were a rookie RB who averaged 4.3 ypc with 2 TDs and a 37 yr old WR coming off a major injury. Neither were overly impressive and we lost both. Woodhead is an upgrade over Juice as a receiving threat out of the backfield but he's only a 3rd down guy. Maclin is a solid receiver in the mold of Derek Mason but he's really no more explosive or better than SSS. If you're relying on guys like Perriman(again hurt and missing TC practices) or Max Williams or Terrence West to step up and make huge strides you're going to be sorely disappointed. That's just talking playmakers. Won't go into the concerns about the OL and our mediocre QB who all of a sudden has injury concerns. This offense can peak at being mediocre and the expectation should be them being in the lower third of the league. The problem is they are just as likely to be one of the 4 or 5 worst offenses as they are to be middle of the pack.

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,074 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

The Ravens do not have any Julio Jones, Elliott, Bryant, Bell, Brown, those type guys, but they do have guys who are very capable of making plays.  Wallace, Maclin to name a few.  West is not an Elliot but he is capable of being oa good back.

Do they have an elite play maker, no but most teams don't.  What people who are making that argument miss totally, is this team has won a hell  of a lot of football games over the last 20 years and in most of those years did not have an elite play maker.

The offense can be efficient and if the defense improves their 4th quarter performance, I think it can be a better year than last year.

I am somewhere around 9-10 wins.  

@mikeghg

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,984 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

No, there is still no playmakers on offense. People need to get that through their head. Our best playmakers last year were a rookie RB who averaged 4.0 ypc and a 37 yr old WR coming off a major injury. Neither are very impressive and we still lost both. Woodhead is an upgrade over Juice as a receiving threat out of the backfield but he's only a 3rd down guy. Maclin is a solid receiver in the mold of Derek Mason but he's really no more explosive or better than SSS. If you're relying on guys like Perriman(again hurt and missing TC practices) or Max Williams or Terrence West to step up and make huge strides you're going to sorely disappointed. That's just talking playmakers. Won't go into the concerns rabout the OL and our mediocre QB who all of a sudden has injury concerns. This offense can peak at being mediocre and the expectation should be them being in the lower third of the league. The problem is they are just as likely to be one of the 4 or 5 worst offenses as they are to be middle of the pack.

Maclin, Perriman (if he has actually made strides and can stay healthy), Wallace, Camp, etc....is a pretty solid WR core.  I don't think we can really complain about that.  Do they have that elite guy?  No but you have a lot of very capable guys, all of which could be 1000+ yard guys.

Woodhead is an intriguing option that can help move the chains and get you into more manageable down/distance situations.

That being said, I tend to agree that Maclin and Woodhead replace what we had last year.

So, how do things get better?  TE play is a little more explosive.  Pitta caught a lot of balls but he didn't make many big plays.  Was more moving the chains (valuable but still limited).  Does West do more?  Not your optimal #1 back but he can still be productive.

Will the line be able to play better?  Stanley wasn't good in the first half of last year, whether it was injury or just struggling after injury.  If he is healthy, he is likely to be a top 10 LT, which is a big improvement over the full season vs last year.  Does Yanda play 16 games?  If so, that's a big difference. (doubt he will though)  Is Jensen an uprade over Zuttah?  Howard is a downgrade from Wagner but can he be "good enough"?

To me, the offense comes down to a few players...Does Perriman continue to make the leap he appears to have made in the offseason?  And, more importantly, does Joe have a better season?  He has the weapons to be fine.  The play of the Oline and the health of his back (and the mental aspect of both) will be the determining factors...that and the play calling.  I do expect them to be a little less pass happy.

I think your worries are legit but you also believe Joe is done being any good and if that's the way you feel, it won't matter what else everyone is doing.  I don't share that same thought.

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors