#1 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

Anyone down for having an official weekly board poll to publish? In addition to contributing my own rankings I'll compute the aggregate and post it, as long as there are at least 3-4 other voters who can commit to doing it weekly. Top 25 is the standard and might be easiest for Chris to promote to attract new visitors, but if you all prefer to keep it simpler and just do a Top 10 I'm fine with that as well, since that's as far as they go once the CFP rankings start up.

Any thoughts Chris?

Might be fun for CBB season too.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,294 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

I think you and Jim doing a weekly Poll would be cool. Zack obviously makes sense as well.
CT does some CFB writing / podcasting for Solid Verbal, so he also obviously makes sense.

If the 4 of you did this regularly, we'd have something.

I'd probably go with a Top 12... but could be talked into another number.

If some posters (Ricker, Pedro, etc) also wanted to... that could work.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

I'd probably go with a Top 12... but could be talked into another number.

Out of curiosity what made you think 12?

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,294 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

Out of curiosity what made you think 12?

Hard to see everyone...  easier to focus on the Top 10 (and those next couple of teams knocking on the door).

#5 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

Sure, I'm up for it. Ten or twelve, either one is okay with me, or maybe a top ten and a "team to watch," something like that.

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,496 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

I'm in! Should we do a preseason poll?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,496 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

Top 12 works. I'm in

@bopper33

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,496 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

In case we are doing a preseason poll:

1) Alabama
2) Florida State
3) Ohio State
4) USC
5) Oklahoma
6) Clemson
7) Penn State
8) Florida
9) Wisconsin
10) Washington
11) LSU
12) Stanford

@bopper33

#9 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,900 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

I'm in too... sounds like a lot of fun.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#10 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,900 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

So a question on methodology, I seriously don't know... 

Are the rankings each week based on the best team at that time, regardless of future schedule, likely future outcome, etc.? Or is projection part of the methodology?

A hypothetical: say FSU looks pretty weak in some close wins (not a huge Francois fan), but their remaining schedule is a cake walk, so they are likely to finish in the top... I may not think they are one of the top 1 or 2 teams, but the reality is they will probably finish ranked that way heading into the playoffs. 

What will you all be considering when ranking teams?

Also, eff pre-season polls, but I'll do one if required.

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,294 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

So a question on methodology, I seriously don't know... 

Are the rankings each week based on the best team at that time, regardless of future schedule, likely future outcome, etc.? Or is projection part of the methodology?

A hypothetical: say FSU looks pretty weak in some close wins (not a huge Francois fan), but their remaining schedule is a cake walk, so they are likely to finish in the top... I may not think they are one of the top 1 or 2 teams, but the reality is they will probably finish ranked that way heading into the playoffs. 

What will you all be considering when ranking teams?

Also, eff pre-season polls, but I'll do one if required.

I'd say that everyone with a vote, can vote with the methodology they deem correct.

Myself, I've always thoughts polls should be a combination of what you've seen (what's occurred), and what you project / believe.

#12 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

Since it would be our poll, we could do it however we want.  I would proceed purely on what has actually happened and not use it as a predictive tool, but I think different approaches could make this even more interesting.

#13 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,900 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

Since it would be our poll, we could do it however we want.  I would proceed purely on what has actually happened and not use it as a predictive tool, but I think different approaches could make this even more interesting.

I lean this way as well, but don't want to look like a fool when a team I think is simply less talented finishes ranked higher than I have them based on a weak conference schedule and other factors. 

#14 BSLCTSchwink

BSLCTSchwink

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

I'm in!

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

I agree with Chris, use whatever method you want, make it fun. We can just do Top 12 for now to keep it easier.

Sounds like so far we have Jim, Pedro, Ricker, CT and Zack. That's 6 of us, so good enough for what I'd hoped as a minimum, but the more the merrier.

The first games of the season are in two weeks (Aug 26), so if you can have something early that week that'd be great.

I'll do the aggregate, but does everyone want their individual rankings published, or do you prefer secret ballot? If so you all can PM me your list each week.

#16 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

I'm in full support of this provided the Gators are never considered good enough to be top 12. 

@fuzydunlop

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,496 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

I'll just post mine. I have nothing to fear. The Gators are good this year. Suck me McNulty

@bopper33

#18 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

In for CBB. Picking out of a hat would be better than me for football.

#19 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,900 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

I agree with Chris, use whatever method you want, make it fun. We can just do Top 12 for now to keep it easier.

Sounds like so far we have Jim, Pedro, Ricker and CT. That's 5 of us, so good enough for what I'd hoped as a minimum, but the more the merrier.

The first games of the season are in two weeks (Aug 26), so if you can have something early that week that'd be great.

I'll do the aggregate, but does everyone want their individual rankings published, or do you prefer secret ballot? If so you all can PM me your list each week.

I don't have a preference regarding published or secret. I'll be openly discussing my thoughts on the board once this gets rolling.

In terms of a standard procedure, when should we have each week's rankings in by? The following Monday evening? or Sunday evening? 

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,576 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

I don't have a preference regarding published or secret. I'll be openly discussing my thoughts on the board once this gets rolling.

In terms of a standard procedure, when should we have each week's rankings in by? The following Monday evening? or Sunday evening?

Monday evening is fine, just to give everyone time who might be busy Sunday.

Chris, weigh in here, but sounds like we can just do a new thread each week for each of the voter's rankings plus discussion. Once all of them have been posted I'll do the compilation and put it in a blog post.

Anyone here is more than welcome, obviously, to post their own rankings when we get started. But for those who want to be part of the BSL Poll I'd like to make sure they can commit to doing it weekly just for consistency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors