Photo

BSL: The BIG Blog / Big Ten Football Talk (2017)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

Sports on Earth: PSU Perfecting Art Of The Big Play

That sentence is hard to believe given the Nittany Lions' history of grinding it out, but they really have an explosive offense, and their offensive coordinator, Joe Moorehead, only in his second year there, is regarded as one of the "hot" assistants that could be in line for a head coaching job.  He had great success at Fordham, leading them into FCS playoffs his last three years there with a similarly high-powered offense.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#62 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,503 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

I really despite everything PSU... but that McSorley/Barkley offense is as explosive as any. Real fun to watch.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#63 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

BSL: Taking Stock After a Not So BIG Week

http://baltimorespor...stock-big-week/

#64 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

The Terps' first B1G opponent this season, Minnesota, looked really good last night at Oregon State....though the Beavers have been awful so far.

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

As mentioned in the other thread, and as you discussed here.... Ohio State better show vast improvement in their passing game if they want to run the table.

Maybe by the time MD plays them, Haskins will be starting?

I was also surprised by the Duke / NW game... not Duke winning, but the score.

Nice comeback by Nebraska at Oregon.... but the West is definitely Wisconsin's to lose.

#66 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

It is hard at this point to see anyone challenging Wisconsin.  I think Urban Meyer is going to be fiercely loyal and stick with Barrett, at least for a while.  I think the bigger issue is his receiving corp, which doesn't look much if any better than last year's mediocre group.

Mike, it is hard to tell about Minnesota.  Them and Michigan State are teams I just don't have a feel for yet.  The Terps may be better off getting the Gophers early while they are still adapting to Coach Fleck.

I think Purdue-Missouri could be the best of a pretty weak group of games this week.  Shapes up to be a real shootout.  The Tigers are #113 in scoring defense and they fired one of their defensive assistants already.  Both teams are terrible in every defensive category, could be a fun game to watch even if you don't care who wins.

Penn St. at Iowa got ABC's prime time slot in two weeks.  Iowa knocked off Michigan at home last year-looking forward to see if they can contain the Nittany Lions.

#67 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Baker Mayfield apologizes for planing the OU flag at Ohio State's 50-yard line

I think he may very well be sincere about that.  A lot of athletes get over-excited after a big win-not all of them show up in person to give a heartfelt apology.

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Baker Mayfield apologizes for planing the OU flag at Ohio State's 50-yard line

I think he may very well be sincere about that.  A lot of athletes get over-excited after a big win-not all of them show up in person to give a heartfelt apology.

Maybe. I think he walked it back after hearing some criticism.

Don't think it's a huge deal....  don't like it, don't lose on your home field lol.

Mainly, I think he's a competitive guy... and I'm sure he spent the last year irritated by Ohio State having sung their fight song on his home field.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

It feels like the athleticism of the conference is improved to what it was when MD first joined.

#70 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

I agree Chris, there's more to at least some of the teams than just grinding opponents up with interior line play. Fortunately, looks like the Terps have some of the better athletes.

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Sports on Earth: Many Challenges Ahead for Buckeyes

#72 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Nebraska lost to Northern Illinois. Whatever patience the Husker fanbase was willing to give Mike Riley has to be running out quickly.

Purdue got a nice Power 5 win today against Missouri. Jeff Brohm is off to a great start there.

#73 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

BSL: A Week of BIG Wins (Mostly) in Small Games

http://baltimorespor...ly-small-games/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

SI: The Oral History of How Penn State's Cutting-Edge Offense Was Created

#75 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

BREAKING:-Nebraska fires athletic director Shawn Eichorst

I suspect this could be the first shoe to drop unless the football team rallies and puts up at least 8 wins-something that seems unlikely at this point.  Basketball coach Tim Miles should also feel some discomfort heading into his new season.

Fans, media show little regret at Eichorst's firing

#76 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

I suspect this could be the first shoe to drop unless the football team rallies and puts up at least 8 wins-something that seems unlikely at this point.  Basketball coach Tim Miles should also feel some discomfort heading into his new season.

Congrats to Scott Frost. Have to think this job is his if he wants it (and why wouldn't he?).

@BSLZackKiesel

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Sure they have plenty of supporters as well, but seeing a lot of Nebraska fans rejecting the idea of Trev Alberts as AD, and the hire of Frost... 

#78 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

I've said several times Mike Riley is Nebraska's version of Randy Edsall (only nicer). That theme could play out even more true than it already has. Given the Beavers' fortunes since he left Corvallis, I wouldn't be shocked to see Riley back for a 3rd tenure at OSU.

#79 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

It's a shame because Riley really seems like a good, standup guy (unlike Edsall) who has had success in his career-I find myself rooting for him to pull out of this nosedive, but that seems farfetched at this point.  You might be right Mike, why not bring him back to Corvallis-seems like they've got nothing to lose at this point.

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:09 PM

It's a shame because Riley really seems like a good, standup guy (unlike Edsall) who has had success in his career-I find myself rooting for him to pull out of this nosedive, but that seems farfetched at this point.  You might be right Mike, why not bring him back to Corvallis-seems like they've got nothing to lose at this point.

Riley and Edsall both epitomize the Peter Principle. They maxed out in exceeding expectations at lower-tier FBS programs. To most observers it was evident that they were unlikely to succeed under higher expectations simply because they would have more resources at their disposal....but inevitably, somebody was going to give them the chance. Unfortunately one of those somebodies was Kevin Anderson.

Having observed Riley closely out here for years, I've always personally liked him. Considering the circumstances (a program in a state that produces very few Power Five-caliber HS players, and having to recruit against Nike U and their Club Med facilities just down the road), it baffled me that the OSU fanbase would quickly lose patience with him after one or two rough seasons, even though he'd always bounce back with a pretty good team. He had is faults....I think he was mostly poor as an in-game coach and he'd often fail to make what seemed like obvious adjustments. But when it came to finding off-the-radar recruits and turning them into solid players, there were few better. I don't know the exact count of how many guys he's sent to the NFL from Oregon State over the years, but I bet it's a hell of a lot more than most might expect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors