Photo

BSL: College Football 2017: State of the Game (Parts 1-3)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:36 PM

Hey there, strangers. It's almost that time of year, so who's up for talking college football? To avoid the risk of tl;dr, I'm breaking this year's State of the Game into 3 parts. Have at it, and Happy 4th!

http://baltimorespor...tate-game-part/

• BSLChrisStoner and Ricker Says like this

#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

Nice writeup.  Looking forward to the next two parts.......is it football season yet? Not sure how much more of the pain I can stand watching the O's.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

It's like the old (pre-2012) days. Once July rolls around all thoughts turn to pigskin.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

SI: Which Power 5 conference will miss the College Football Playoff?

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

http://baltimorespor...life.com/30693/

Part 2 of 3....television.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

Really nice work there Mike.

Totally agree with this line, "I do think this has to spur a lot of thinking about modifying existing business models for an uncertain future, both for the networks and schools."

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

SI: So when's the College Football Playoff expanding?

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

The last and final part (hint: I talk about speeding up games and the early signing period).

http://baltimorespor...-game-part-iii/

I really haven't decided how I'd like to approach writing for this season yet. Seems there were several of you who regularly read the weekly recaps....anything different you'd be interested in? I doubt I'll have time to do more than one piece per week. Some weeks it felt like by the time I got the chance to sit down and do a recap I was simply re-hashing ancient history. Considering that, would more attention to previewing upcoming games be of more interest? Or maybe focusing on other issues (more attention rankings, postseason projections awards races, etc)? Chris, your input is, of course, much appreciated as well.

With the rapidly deteriorating baseball season, I'm ready to get this show rolling now.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

I think the recaps are unnecessary.  I think what works best is looking ahead. Keying on a few big games. Looking at the larger storylines.

Keeping track of the teams in the Playoff Chase, and how that week can impact.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

ESPN: Can college football do anything about the length of games?

#11 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

Mike,

Nice piece.  I think your analysis of the early signing period is spot on.  Although it is an "early" signing period, that will likely become the defacto deadline for most if not all the blue-chippers, not allowing coaches the time after their bowl games to close the deal.  Hard to feel sorry for them given how much they are paid, but that is a tough assignment.

I would like to see the games shortened too, but I'm not sure I want it to be at the sacrifice of the number of plays.  Reducing halftime and more efficient replays are where I would like to start and see how far that gets us.

Looking forward to your analysis for the upcoming season which, like you, I am eager to get started.  I agree with Chris, I'd like to see more analysis and predictions-there are plenty of recaps out there.  I'm sure your best stuff will be what other writers are not focusing on.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:41 PM

Thanks, Jim. I do plan to move away from recapping games, unless there is a topic that emerges which really merits discussion. Would like to do more thought-analysis using advanced stats, to the extent that they are available for the college level and whether I actually have enough time to pore over them and come up with something to write about.

I am looking forward to seeing how the early signing period unfolds. I agree that in all likelihood we will see more players sign in Dec than in Feb, so they can have it out of the way for the holidays and start of the new year.

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

Here's an example from the MD game that I think shows the problem of games taking too long, and how easy it should be to solve.

On a kickoff following a Terps score there were offsetting penalties, offsides on the kicking team and holding on the return team. After about 20 seconds of the officials huddling to discuss the flags the offsetting calls are announced by the head official and he says it will be Towson ball at the spot of the kick return. But that's not what happened. The announcement was followed by 30 seconds of the TV announcers blabbering while showing miscellaneous cutaway shots and CG stats, then all of a sudden the teams are lined up to kickoff again. So then you have another 30 seconds until Towson runs an offensive play. WTF? This crap adds up over the course of a game.

#14 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Here's an example from the MD game that I think shows the problem of games taking too long, and how easy it should be to solve.

On a kickoff following a Terps score there were offsetting penalties, offsides on the kicking team and holding on the return team. After about 20 seconds of the officials huddling to discuss the flags the offsetting calls are announced by the head official and he says it will be Towson ball at the spot of the kick return. But that's not what happened. The announcement was followed by 30 seconds of the TV announcers blabbering while showing miscellaneous cutaway shots and CG stats, then all of a sudden the teams are lined up to kickoff again. So then you have another 30 seconds until Towson runs an offensive play. WTF? This crap adds up over the course of a game.

Mike I think its one of the major reasons why attendance is down.

1. Unless you pay for really premium seats the actual watching of the game is better on TV. Yes you miss the atmosphere for sure. 

but here's the biggie to me.

At the stadium while all this crap is going on here's what the fan gets.

1. Limited replays on the screen (at least in the MWC as they have rules about showing replays so they don't rile up the fans and show up the refs).

2. Ads over the loudspeakers or on the jumbotron.

3. Sit and twittle your thumbs.

At home you get tons of replays, a jaunt to the fridge, and no lines at the restroom so you don't miss anything. I love going to games in person but they really need to fix this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors