Photo

BSL: Bigger Need – Center or Right Tackle?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BSLRobHabib

BSLRobHabib

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

BSL: Bigger Need – Center or Right Tackle?

http://baltimorespor...r-right-tackle/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,837 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

I think they are both needs but I have no faith in Hurst.   

I know he had a good game against the Bengals the last game last year, but he has played some poor football here.

Counting on him based on his performance against Cincy, is similar tothe thinking the Orioles used when counting on Miley and Ubaldo, based on their finishes last year.

I think the Ravens are smarter than that.

@mikeghg

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

It just depends. How much faith do you have in Siragusa and are you willing to bump Yanda to RT?

It could be as simple as we, the fans, think they need to do something when in fact, they don't.

Maybe Jensen will be fine at C? Maybe Urschel developed more this offseason?

I would certainly like someone brought in at one of the positions for depth and to potentially start but it may not be the need we believe it to be. We just don't know their plans yet.
@BSLRobShields

#4 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

I still wonder if Siragusa can make some noise and get attention at LG. 

#5 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

This means absolutely nothing, but it feels like every preseason fans are either really worried about the line and they do well OR we aren't worried and they suck.

• jkough1 likes this

@fuzydunlop

#6 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

It could be as simple as we, the fans, think they need to do something when in fact, they don't.

Jinx. I agree with this. And I also think LG will be easier to learn between a Mangold and Stanley if needed. And I think Jensen would be OK between Lewis and Yanda. I have no problem being flexible and bringing in a stop gap hoping that some of the guys pay off in this year's draft or see if we can draft a LG or C for next year, which is something that can be done too. 

But I do think we need to bring in one guy. I don't really care which spot. 

Isn't Pasztor still out there? He's a guy I'd definitely look at. We've all hear the chatter on Dunlap, Clady, etc. too. I think Roman's presence is also a part of not being overly enthusiastic about spending a lot of money here too. 

#7 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,420 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

you have to play to your strengths and weaknesses, something the Ravens have to work towards improving.

Yes. 1,000 times yes.  

Great write up.

• BSLRobHabib likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 BSLRobHabib

BSLRobHabib

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

Yes. 1,000 times yes.  

Great write up.

It drives me crazy!

#9 fishteacher

fishteacher

Your Mom's Favorite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,472 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

I don't care who we get to play those positions as long as they can pitch!  We need starters!  LOL!

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#10 BSLRobHabib

BSLRobHabib

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

It just depends. How much faith do you have in Siragusa and are you willing to bump Yanda to RT?

Maybe Jensen will be fine at C? Maybe Urschel developed more this offseason?

I would certainly like someone brought in at one of the positions for depth and to potentially start but it may not be the need we believe it to be. We just don't know their plans yet.

Why move Yanda to RT when he's best suited at RG? Don't get me wrong, Yanda plays well on the outside edge, but he's most definitely a RG. The same case can be made for Lewis. Why move him around the line when he's played his best ball at LG? I think it will only hinder his development in the longterm. Similar to Michael Oher. I really don't have an issue with Jensen at C, I think he has the potential to play well there. That being said, clearly Mangold > Jensen. I also think Urschel is maybe a little undersized to play C, especially since they want to beef up the line. Let the guys compete for the RT and C spot, but leave Lewis, Yanda, and Stanley at their natural positions. 

#11 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

Why move Yanda to RT when he's best suited at RG? Don't get me wrong, Yanda plays well on the outside edge, but he's most definitely a RG. The same case can be made for Lewis. Why move him around the line when he's played his best ball at LG? I think it will only hinder his development in the longterm. Similar to Michael Oher. I really don't have an issue with Jensen at C, I think he has the potential to play well there. That being said, clearly Mangold > Jensen. I also think Urschel is maybe a little undersized to play C, especially since they want to beef up the line. Let the guys compete for the RT and C spot, but leave Lewis, Yanda, and Stanley at their natural positions. 

Yanda is an all pro guard.  Maybe in the discussion for top 10 ever.  No denying that.

However, he is probably a pro bowl level RT and its harder to find a good RT than guard...plus, we have a rookie guard who may be able to step in and start.  It's a way better option than Hurst starting.  Not a lot left on the market either.

@BSLRobShields

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,837 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

I still wonder if Siragusa can make some noise and get attention at LG. 

Probably the most likely scenario, if there are no additions.

I think Lewis is a player and could slide out to RT.  Do they want Jensen and a rookie inside.

I still think a veteran is on the way.

@mikeghg

#13 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

Right, I think he only slides out if we have a veteran at C. 

#14 BSLRobHabib

BSLRobHabib

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:15 PM

Yanda is an all pro guard.  Maybe in the discussion for top 10 ever.  No denying that.

However, he is probably a pro bowl level RT and its harder to find a good RT than guard...plus, we have a rookie guard who may be able to step in and start.  It's a way better option than Hurst starting.  Not a lot left on the market either.

I agree, it definitely is more difficult to find a good RT than guard. You make a good point, they certainly could go with a rookie at guard, they had success with it last year with Lewis at LG. 

#15 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,415 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:58 PM

I think this is an interesting perspective to take on the OL quandry. Neither Urschel nor Jensen inspire much confidence at Center, and in a lot of ways Center is a critical position along the OL.

Personally though, I see still RT as the biggest hole on the OL because we have seen what James Hurst can do and  he has been a complete disaster every time he steps on the field, and right now all signs point to him being given the first shot at starting.

I don't know if Alex Lewis is a viable option at RT. I similarly don't know if the Ravens are willing to kick Yanda out to RT outside of emergency duty. My guess is if Nico comes in and kicks ass in Training Camp they will be forced to find a position for him. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. There is certainly room for the team to get smart about how they scheme up front in terms of protections.

It's not a good situation to be in.

@gabefergy

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:47 PM

Oher was released. Would the Ravens bring him back?
@BSLRobShields

#17 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,415 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

Possible, but he was released with a failed physical designation. He's basically been in the concussion protocol since last season. Also he might be facing a possible suspension.

@gabefergy

#18 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,049 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Who wouldn't want a false start machine that can't diagnose and misses blocks all the time?

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

Who wouldn't want a false start machine that can't diagnose and misses blocks all the time?

Well we have one of those already..why not 2!!
@BSLRobShields

#20 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

The importance of a good, cerebral center can't be overstated. We have the recent example of Matt Birk's run here and then look at what Alex Mack going to Atlanta did for Matt Ryan and that offense. If you have a center you can trust to make the line calls, shift protections, etc, it makes the QB's job so much easier; he can just go out and play.

Gun to my head, I think center is the bigger need. With the caveat that James Hurst starting at right tackle terrifies me to no end. However, we're all not out watching OTAs and practices, so maybe the light is coming on for him in year 4....maybe....

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLRobHabib like this
@primetime667083

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors