#1 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

CB is another position that Ravens heavily invested in during the offseason. There is a lot more depth now which means the inevitable Jimmy Smith injury shouldn't be so damaging.

http://baltimorespor...ion-preview-cb/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@gabefergy

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 85,711 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

Nice job Gabe.

Was a bit down about Young's injury, but have to be encouraged about the Secondary as a whole (especially with what should be the improved pass rush in-front of them).

Agreed about Carr running a bit under the radar. Canady and Boykin also interest me.

#3 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

Good point about the pass rush. Assuming it gets better (it will be hard to be any worse), it will definitely compliment the secondary.

In hindsight, last year's defense looks that much more impressive considering how bad the pass rush was. Also speaks to the article that praised Dean Pees' coverage schemes.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@gabefergy

#4 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:07 AM

Good piece.

At his size, I don't see Canady ending up in the slot, but I do believe he has an opportunity based on Young's injury.

Webb and Boykin are 1/2 for SCB as I see it now, but because I expect the Ravens to be forced into more dime than ever before under Pees, I think Canady would be a great choice to provide ball skills as a cover-2 safety in 6-DB packages. That would allow Webb to play SCB all season and Jefferson to move up to play either a traditional dime role next to the ILB or a man-coverage role opposite TEs, at which he looked terrific in the 2016 video I reviewed.

The defense is extraordinarily short on instinctive ball skills right now, particularly after losing Young. Neither Jefferson nor Carr is known for making plays on the ball and Correa is an unknown. That leaves Mosley, Weddle, Webb, and Smith as the 4 biggest threats. Grooming Canady for a cover-2 safety role (he played some there in the 2016 PS) could provide a TO boost.
  • Mike B and BSLGabeFerguson like this

#5 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

Good points. I didn't discuss Webb in this one because I have him as a safety, but you are absolutely correct that he will likely see considerable time in the slot. He probably has more snaps there than anyone else on the roster. 

Interesting idea regarding Canady as well. I can totally see that happenning as neither Weddle nor Jefferson are true deep safety types and Jefferson in particular seems best served playing in the box. I was thinking Webb would be more of the C2 safety, but if Canady can fill that role that frees up Webb.

@gabefergy

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

Good piece.

At his size, I don't see Canady ending up in the slot, but I do believe he has an opportunity based on Young's injury.

Webb and Boykin are 1/2 for SCB as I see it now, but because I expect the Ravens to be forced into more dime than ever before under Pees, I think Canady would be a great choice to provide ball skills as a cover-2 safety in 6-DB packages. That would allow Webb to play SCB all season and Jefferson to move up to play either a traditional dime role next to the ILB or a man-coverage role opposite TEs, at which he looked terrific in the 2016 video I reviewed.

The defense is extraordinarily short on instinctive ball skills right now, particularly after losing Young. Neither Jefferson nor Carr is known for making plays on the ball and Correa is an unknown. That leaves Mosley, Weddle, Webb, and Smith as the 4 biggest threats. Grooming Canady for a cover-2 safety role (he played some there in the 2016 PS) could provide a TO boost.

Interesting idea about Canady.  Young, fast and athletic.  I could see that working

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors