#121 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

For October I think Arena needs to rethink his back line. Hopefully Yedlin will be ready. Brooks will still be out. Personally I would go with a three man center back and five in the midfiled. Need to think about bringing in Danny Williams and Timmy Chandler. Something has to change.

Jeff Cameron to the bench please.

You can bet on the numbers, or you can bet on Buck Showalter.

#122 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

Geoff has been one of the better players. But he had a bad game against CR. The problem is who are you going to play in the back?

Center Backs

John Brooks - injured and not available. Talent wise he's our best CB. But he isn't perfect. He was a disaster in November down in CR.

Geoff Cameron - Horrible game against CR. Should be playing DM so Bradley could move forward. But he should be paired with Besler if Brooks is out.

Omar Gonzalex - He's good for at least one major screw up a game defensively.

Matt Besler - solid and should play almost every match in my book

Tim Ream - much like Gonzo. Just too inconsistent.

Matt Miazga - did you watch the Gold Cup? Just not ready. Could be but for the last two qualifiers.

Walker Zimmerman - Like Miazga. 

Emerson Palmer-Brown -  He needs playing time this winter. He might have a shot for next summer if he has a good winter.

Matt Hedges - Ok but not anything special at least not yet.

Ike Opara - does play alongside Besler at Sporting KC. Worth a look this winter?

Left Backs

Jorge Villafana - Promising. Good in the attack and fast enough to track back. Still a bit weak defensively.

Fabain Johnson - Doesn't want to play in the back but its where he belongs on this team.

DeMarcus Beasley - I love his effort. But he's small. And now he's 35. Can't be at the WC. Just can't.

Justin Morrow - Acceptable. Solid defensively and did ok in the Gold Cup.

Right Backs

Graham Zusi - can not play at this level anymore. Too slow and gets torched by fast wingers so has to stay back which means he can't support our wingers.

DeAndre Yedlin - clearly out best and he's good. Need him to be healthy. Hopefully he's back for the October quals.

Timmy Chandler - A good choice IF he wasn't such a flake about plane travel and being on the MNT. Arena needs to have a heart to heart with Timmy. He should have been playing last weeki.

So here are my choices depending on the formation (I prefer three in the back).

3-5-2

I like Besler Brooks and Cameron. Until Brooks is back I think Besler Gonzalez Cameron 

4 in the back

LB I like Villafana or Johnson

CBs  Besler and Brooks (Cameron until Brooks is back)

RB Yedlin backed up by Chandler

#123 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

Lalas with some not nice things to say about the team.  

ESPN: Alexi Lalas blasts U.S. national team's 'soft, tattooed millionaires' in tirade
http://www.espnfc.co...aires-in-tirade

Goal.com: 'It was an emotional reflection of where we are' – Lalas explains his epic tirade against the USMNT
http://www.goal.com/...ba15xbogzblasgf

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#124 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

SI: USMNT Has an Injury Problem Entering Do-or-Die World Cup Qualifiers

#125 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

The only injury that may really be an issue is to Cameron. With Brooks already out it means Besler is our only solid CB option if Cam can't go. But Gonzo paired with Besler isn't that bad. See my post from the 8th up above where I went over all the back line options.

#126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

SI: Christian Pulisic Turns 19: The Top 19 Moments of his Budding USA, Dortmund Career
https://www.si.com/s...tmund-usa-video

#127 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

US leading Panama 3-0 at the half!

• DuffMan likes this

#128 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

SB Nation: Christian Pulisic scores outrageous opening goal in USA vs. Panama

#129 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Sports on Earth: Pulisic is Saving Grace For USMNT

http://www.sportsone...orld-cup-panama

#130 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

SI: USA Executes Aggressive Plan vs. Panama, Moves to Cusp of World Cup Spot

#131 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

Sorry I haven't posted much on the game last night or soccer in general but a bit preoccupied with Hurricane Nate.

But here's my take on last night.

Howard - Well done Timmy. Couple of solid saves (and yes saves you should make) but no mistakes and you controlled the defense very well.

Yedlin - Dear DeAndre please stay healthy. We need you and can't afford to have Zusi at RB in Russia.

Gonzo - I so love you dude but you just are not solid enough. Pick it up or you are going to not see much time, if any, come Russia.

Belser - How in the hell do you not draw a red card for getting hit in the face? Oh yeah, I forgot the ref was from Mexico. Solid solid game.

Villafana - Also a pretty solid game. A little too wide in the back the middle of the first half but fine.

Arriola - well played on the wing and you have several balls through that could have lead to goals and had a good shot your self. 

Bradley - Two awful bad give away passes but nothing bad happened and other than that you were stellar in the middle with little defensive support inside since Arriola and Ngabe where instructed to play more attack.

Ngabe - Not sure you were in this one much. No major goofs but didn't do much to support the attack either. Just fair game.

Pulisic - I have been watching the MNT since the early 1970s. This kid is magic and I think the best US player ever. Sorry Landon but this kid is just so dynamic.

Altidore - Way to go Jozy. Two in the net and solid play all around.

Wood - I think that may have been his best game ever. The Panamaninan defense had no way to deal with him. What a game.

Now go down to TNT and get three more and ensure we go to Russia. Get it done!!

#132 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

SI: What is Pulisic's Best USA Position? Donovan Weighs in on a Question He Knows Well

#133 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

Christian Pulisics best spot on the field ....well it depends. Depends on the team they are playing. Depends on the stakes of the particular match. Depends on the form of the players around him.

But that said here is where he belongs. Wherever on the damn field he can damage the opposition and you don't know where that is until the game gets going. He MUST be free to roam and have limited defensive responsibilities.

#134 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

http://www.espnfc.us...d-cup-qualifier

Field conditions are pretty much a disaster. Won't even know until tomorrow morning if the match will still be played or if the venue is changed?? What a freaking mess.

#135 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:31 AM

Christian Pulisics best spot on the field ....well it depends. Depends on the team they are playing. Depends on the stakes of the particular match. Depends on the form of the players around him.

But that said here is where he belongs. Wherever on the damn field he can damage the opposition and you don't know where that is until the game gets going. He MUST be free to roam and have limited defensive responsibilities.

Some protection from the refs would help as well.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#136 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Some protection from the refs would help as well.

Duff you are spot on and this has been a problem playing in CONCACAF forever. Central American teams play "cheap" and love to continually foul the opponents better players. And the refs let them get away with it. Yeah eventually they card a player. Then they card a different player. And so on but they NEVER protect the players which is the #1 job of the ref. There were two clear red cards in the match the other night against Panama and neither were even called fouls. They drew blood on Besler and the ref was looking right at the play. And they punched Pulisic in the face but it was behind the play (THIS is what the fourth official is supposed to be looking for).

So wish we could get CONMEBOL to envelope CONCACAF. Would be so much better for raising the level of play and less crap play with so much time spent in Central America.

• DuffMan likes this

#137 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

Yeah the Besler foul was pretty damn egregious.   The ref was looking right at him when it happened too, not sure how that wasn't called.

#138 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Yeah the Besler foul was pretty damn egregious.   The ref was looking right at him when it happened too, not sure how that wasn't called.

The "official' word from the ref was that he deemed it accidental.

As for tonight, the game is currently set to go on as scheduled. Its raining, again, but supposed to stop and not have much accumulation. Saw pictures of yesterday's training session and the pitch is a disaster. This game has injuries written all over it.

Oh and as if things couldn't get worse. Get this.

1. The field is atrocious.

2. TNT has nothing to play for since they are already eliminated. Now they are historically a pretty decent club as far as playing clean but...

then CONCACAF in their infinite wisdom pulled this stunt.

3. The center ref for this match....will be his first ever WCQ match. Holy crap you idiots. You put them on in the preliminary rounds when the minnows are playing each other. NOT at the last match of the Hexagonal.

Dear Lord I HATE CONCACAF. 

#139 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,275 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

How can you hate being in the easiest confederation that inexplicably gives out 3 auto WC berths.

#140 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 90,511 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

@FOXSoccer 11m11 minutes ago

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO LEAD! Winchester beats Howard with a little help of a deflection. #USAvTRI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors