#121 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

For October I think Arena needs to rethink his back line. Hopefully Yedlin will be ready. Brooks will still be out. Personally I would go with a three man center back and five in the midfiled. Need to think about bringing in Danny Williams and Timmy Chandler. Something has to change.

Jeff Cameron to the bench please.

You can bet on the numbers, or you can bet on Buck Showalter.

#122 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

Geoff has been one of the better players. But he had a bad game against CR. The problem is who are you going to play in the back?

Center Backs

John Brooks - injured and not available. Talent wise he's our best CB. But he isn't perfect. He was a disaster in November down in CR.

Geoff Cameron - Horrible game against CR. Should be playing DM so Bradley could move forward. But he should be paired with Besler if Brooks is out.

Omar Gonzalex - He's good for at least one major screw up a game defensively.

Matt Besler - solid and should play almost every match in my book

Tim Ream - much like Gonzo. Just too inconsistent.

Matt Miazga - did you watch the Gold Cup? Just not ready. Could be but for the last two qualifiers.

Walker Zimmerman - Like Miazga. 

Emerson Palmer-Brown -  He needs playing time this winter. He might have a shot for next summer if he has a good winter.

Matt Hedges - Ok but not anything special at least not yet.

Ike Opara - does play alongside Besler at Sporting KC. Worth a look this winter?

Left Backs

Jorge Villafana - Promising. Good in the attack and fast enough to track back. Still a bit weak defensively.

Fabain Johnson - Doesn't want to play in the back but its where he belongs on this team.

DeMarcus Beasley - I love his effort. But he's small. And now he's 35. Can't be at the WC. Just can't.

Justin Morrow - Acceptable. Solid defensively and did ok in the Gold Cup.

Right Backs

Graham Zusi - can not play at this level anymore. Too slow and gets torched by fast wingers so has to stay back which means he can't support our wingers.

DeAndre Yedlin - clearly out best and he's good. Need him to be healthy. Hopefully he's back for the October quals.

Timmy Chandler - A good choice IF he wasn't such a flake about plane travel and being on the MNT. Arena needs to have a heart to heart with Timmy. He should have been playing last weeki.

So here are my choices depending on the formation (I prefer three in the back).

3-5-2

I like Besler Brooks and Cameron. Until Brooks is back I think Besler Gonzalez Cameron 

4 in the back

LB I like Villafana or Johnson

CBs  Besler and Brooks (Cameron until Brooks is back)

RB Yedlin backed up by Chandler

#123 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

Lalas with some not nice things to say about the team.  

ESPN: Alexi Lalas blasts U.S. national team's 'soft, tattooed millionaires' in tirade
http://www.espnfc.co...aires-in-tirade

Goal.com: 'It was an emotional reflection of where we are' – Lalas explains his epic tirade against the USMNT
http://www.goal.com/...ba15xbogzblasgf

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
You can bet on the numbers, or you can bet on Buck Showalter.

#124 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,517 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

SI: USMNT Has an Injury Problem Entering Do-or-Die World Cup Qualifiers

#125 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

The only injury that may really be an issue is to Cameron. With Brooks already out it means Besler is our only solid CB option if Cam can't go. But Gonzo paired with Besler isn't that bad. See my post from the 8th up above where I went over all the back line options.

#126 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,517 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

SI: Christian Pulisic Turns 19: The Top 19 Moments of his Budding USA, Dortmund Career
https://www.si.com/s...tmund-usa-video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors