#1 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

Just put up an article leading up to the Gold Cup and how I see the current health of the team and who our best players are. Take a look and lets discuss.

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

ESPN: Bruce Arena: U.S. newcomers are 'well aware' of what's at stake in Gold Cup
http://www.espnfc.co...kes-in-gold-cup

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:10 AM

Wiki: 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup
https://en.wikipedia...NCACAF_Gold_Cup

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

Here's a really good read on five of the US players and how they performed against Ghana. Illistrates well my point about it depends when you start trying to determine just who are your best starting XI.

http://americansocce...tory-over-ghana

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

NBC Sports / PST: 2017 Gold Cup: Group C preview

NBC Sports / PST: 2017 Gold Cup: Group B Preview

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

Sports on Earth: USMNT Gold Cup Soccer FAQ
http://www.sportsone...p-us-soccer-faq

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

SI: Why Costa Rica can break Mexico and USA's Gold Cup reign

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

SI: USA opens Gold Cup against familiar foe, toughest group opponent: Panama
https://www.si.com/p...-arena-concacaf

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

Canada beat French Guiana 4-2, and Costa Rica beat Honduras 1-0.

Tomorrow (7/8):

USA vs. Panama (4:30PM)
Martinique vs. Nicaragua (7:00PM)

#10 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

For those who didn't watch last night (which is probably most all of you ...lol). Canada had two goals scored by a kid who became their youngest goal scorer at the international level. The kid also set a record for being the youngest to ever score in the Gold Cup. Ready for this?

Alonso Davies became the first 2000 era born player to score a goal in an international tournament. The kid is 16 years old. SIXTEEN!

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

Dwyer has the US up 1-0 on Panama...currently in the 53rd minute.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

Game now tied at 1... 64th minute.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

Ends in a 1-1 tie.

#14 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

Fourth straight US - Panama match that ended the 90th minute at 1-1. Some thoughts.

1. Cuzan had several big saves. The US could have lost this game they way the played the first 30 minutes of the second half.

2. Weather clearly had an impact..on both teams. Legs were done early in the second half.

3. Acosta was off today. Too slow mentally and just not what we have seen from him in the past. They all have games like this. He'll be better.

4. Rowe was my MOTM (or maybe Cuzan). His work rate totally made the US goal.

5. Dom Dwyer flat knows where to be. And he finished his chance. We have seen far too many times US forwards have not done much with that chance (Altidore comes to mind).

6. I don't like Dwyer so advanced into the attacking third with his support too far back. Corona must be further up the field. Kept leaving Dwyer on an island all alone. 

6. Zusi played ok the first half but the heat clearly got to him. He got beat several times in the second half and when he supported the attack his crosses into the box were not very good.

Still at the end of the day we drew the toughest team in our group. The team is in fine shape and will play much better on Wednesday.  Oh one last thing. That foul in the box was a PK. The defender was not shoulder to shoulder, he was slightly behind the player. But more importantly he used his arm in front of the attacker to knock him off the ball. For sure it wasn't a no brainer. But I blow the whistle on that.

• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

ESPN: Arena: U.S. 'didn't deal well with' Panama

#16 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hope we see a few changes in the game Wed night. I make the following

Roldan for McCarty

Aguedelo for Corona

Hamid for Cuzan

Lichaj for Zusi

Arriola for Bedoya

#17 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Fourth straight US - Panama match that ended the 90th minute at 1-1. Some thoughts.

1. Cuzan had several big saves. The US could have lost this game they way the played the first 30 minutes of the second half.

2. Weather clearly had an impact..on both teams. Legs were done early in the second half.

3. Acosta was off today. Too slow mentally and just not what we have seen from him in the past. They all have games like this. He'll be better.

4. Rowe was my MOTM (or maybe Cuzan). His work rate totally made the US goal.

5. Dom Dwyer flat knows where to be. And he finished his chance. We have seen far too many times US forwards have not done much with that chance (Altidore comes to mind).

6. I don't like Dwyer so advanced into the attacking third with his support too far back. Corona must be further up the field. Kept leaving Dwyer on an island all alone. 

6. Zusi played ok the first half but the heat clearly got to him. He got beat several times in the second half and when he supported the attack his crosses into the box were not very good.

Still at the end of the day we drew the toughest team in our group. The team is in fine shape and will play much better on Wednesday.  Oh one last thing. That foul in the box was a PK. The defender was not shoulder to shoulder, he was slightly behind the player. But more importantly he used his arm in front of the attacker to knock him off the ball. For sure it wasn't a no brainer. But I blow the whistle on that.

My initial reaction was that it was a foul, looking at the replay I still felt that way.  Defender used his hand too much to push him to the ground there, not the worst missed call but probably the wrong call (by not blowing the whistle there)

You can bet on the numbers, or you can bet on Buck Showalter.

#18 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Yes Duff, I have looked at that several times and I guess I am old school. That's a PK. Way too much playing the player there. I guess it just shows how much the game has changed over the years. 20 years ago that isn't even debated, its an instant whistle.

For those "football" fans that say soccer isn't a contact or physical sport all I can say is i am not sure what the heck you are watching. I had a broken foot, broke my nose four times, got a concussion, and dislocated a knee. And not a single one of those plays resulted in a foul.

Yup soccer is for pussies.......lol

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

SI: Arena poised to rotate USA squad, seek more options vs. Martinique

SI: U.S. foe Martinique, sitting atop Gold Cup's Group B, is better than you think
https://www.si.com/p...-cup-martinique

#20 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

Here's my wish lineup for tonight. 

1607070_USA.jpg

I would play it as a 4-4-2. You could swap in Agudelo for Morris, McCarty in for Roldan, Zardes/Bedoya could play winger. But the key here is that we had way too much space between the center backs and the defensive midfielders. So when we had the ball deep we had a big space between the back and the mid. Then another big space between the midfield and the lone forward in Dwyer. I think Corona was much too passive and deep to partner well with Dwyer. Dwyer was pretty much all alone up top and although he did ok he is not a hold up forward like Altidore. I would like to see Hamid get the start in the net but Cuzan played so well (in fact if not for him we'd have lost to Panama) that he probably gets the nod.

Martinique actually looked pretty decent against Nicaragua but we should handle them no matter who we trot out there. Arena must make some changes tonight to both the players and the tactics. The plan he trotted out there against Panama did not work....did not work at all. There are several advantages to the lineup I have suggested.

1. It is easy to morph this 4-4-2 quickly to a 3-5-2. Villafana is most effective pushing forward into the attack. And while his defense is improving with experience its not where it needs to be.

2. A backline of Belser, Hedges, and Lichaj is plenty strong enough to take on most attacks that Martinique creates. If they sit back in a shell looking to counter then it is easier for us to break that down with more players forward. But if Martinique presses high then you just stay in a 4-4-2.

3. It puts a fast player up top with Dwyer. Morris' speed can spread the defense and create gaps for Dwyer to expolit and for the midfields to attack as they push forward. And it gives Dwyer someplace to look for help when he gets the ball in an advanced position but the midfield hasn't moved up to support yet.

I predict that the team will look different in personnel and tactics tonight and that they play a much better game. In particular I look for Acosta to have a much better game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors