Golf-How bad are you?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

I'm very volatile, my HC says 9.2 but I don't think I am.  Shot a 38 a few weeks ago, then a 47, then a 42 last night.  I mainly play 9 holes.  

I hit the ball a long way so I usually have less than 100 yards in to most par 4's.  100 and in I'm really pretty bad.  

You...

• BSLRobShields likes this

#2 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

I've shot a 99 exactly once.

Otherwise I'm usually in the 105 range.

#3 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

Haha. 

https://www.facebook...03353223199102/

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,762 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

I'm between a 17 and 18 HC currently. I try to play seriously and within the rules so that's pretty accurate. Trying to play a lot this season, hopefully get that down a couple strokes. I've had two 88s and an 84 (at an easy course) this year, most of my rounds around 95.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,314 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

I've been breaking 90 more consistently than ever this year. Though not threatening breaking 80. Low this year is 82 where I went birdie, par, par the last 3 holes.

#6 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,896 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

I would say what I normally shoot, but I've never been able to finish all 18 holes. So grueling!

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

I would say what I normally shoot, but I've never been able to finish all 18 holes. So grueling!

But not as grueling as that brutal teachers schedule!  I don't know how you are able to work 8 months a year!   :D

@BSLRobShields

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

I've shot a 99 exactly once.

Otherwise I'm usually in the 105 range.

Im basically here.

I shot a 97 at Hayfields last week, which was my best round, especially when you consider the course.

I am really not far from being someone that can shoot 85-95 but I am making too many mistakes here and there and losing strokes that I shouldn't be losing.  Once I clean that type of stuff up, I will be where I want to be.

Of course, to really clean that up you have to play and practice more than I am able to.

@BSLRobShields

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

BTW, I love the question.  Its not, Golf-how GOOD are you?  lol  

• JamesGallden likes this
@BSLRobShields

#10 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

BTW, I love the question.  Its not, Golf-how GOOD are you?  lol  

Haha, no one is good at golf. 

I play 3-4 times per week, obviously it's really helped knock my scores down.  Around the greens is getting better for me, that's just from playing, but like I said above my scoring shots are terrible.  

#11 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:16 AM

Incredibly bad.  I'm an OK athlete who has been able to pick up most sports fairly well, but never been able to figure out golf. 

My best score was around 105, which I shot last year.  I played a fair amount pre-kids, but now I play exactly once a year.  We usually give my dad a golf outing for father's day, and he, my brother, my nephew and myself play a foursome.  We usually try to go in the middle of the week and start around 10 AM so we're not holding anyone else up.  Because as bad as I am, I beat them all pretty easily.

#12 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Incredibly bad.  I'm an OK athlete who has been able to pick up most sports fairly well, but never been able to figure out golf. 

My best score was around 105, which I shot last year.  I played a fair amount pre-kids, but now I play exactly once a year.  We usually give my dad a golf outing for father's day, and he, my brother, my nephew and myself play a foursome.  We usually try to go in the middle of the week and start around 10 AM so we're not holding anyone else up.  Because as bad as I am, I beat them all pretty easily.

Yeah man the kids really don't allow much playing.  I work for my dad and I got him into golf, so I get to golf during work.  ;)

#13 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Played at the Bay Club in OC. It's a pretty easy course, straight holes, pretty wide open, not many hazards. I shot a 55 on the front, 45 on the back. The front 9 was destroyed by 3 consecutive holes where I had a combined 23. Aside from those bad holes I was pretty satisfied with my play. I really tried to focus on smooth, clean swings and let the club do the work. It's so ironic that the less hard you swing, the farther and straighter the ball goes. Solid day from the tees, I think I had maybe 2 or 3 bad tee shots, lost just one tee shot. Short game was working well, putting was solid in the back nine. Probably my second best round, as sad as that sounds. Eager to try to keep it going, I might try to play on Sunday. 

• JamesGallden likes this

#14 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

Handicap is a 5.1 as of the July 1st update.

Really want to get into the 3s by the end of the summer.

I'm a terrible putter

@Miller192

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Handicap is a 5.1 as of the July 1st update.

Really want to get into the 3s by the end of the summer.

I'm a terrible putter

I'm the opposite. Baseball destroyed my golf swing, so I can't hit off a tee to save my life, but my short game is pretty solid. I think it's cause the "mini golf" place I used to blow off steam when I was in my teens was just a bunch of tricky sloped greens, there were no obstacles to speak of, so I got pretty good at reading break at good distances.

@JeremyMStrain

#16 JamesGallden

JamesGallden
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

Mods could you move to the golf forum, I wasn't aware that there was one when I started this. Thanks!

#17 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

I played South Hills in Hanover yesterday. Ended up playing 36 holes since they charged $8 for a replay.

First round I shot a 113. Putting was horrendous, short game sucked...you name it, I wasn't doing it right. I settled down the second half of the back 9 and...

Shot a 99 on the second round. Everything got better, but I still need to work on my putting. I still 3 and 4 putt when I should be 2 putting more often. There were a few times where I was putting for par and 3 putted. Disgusting.

I'm also notorious for being 100-150 yards out and hitting the ball way left. The ball is straight, but I must not be lined up properly. 

Spent a lot of time punching out from inside a bunch of trees.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,762 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

Two mediocre to bad rounds this weekend.  91 at Clifton Park Friday after work.  98 at Bay Hills Sunday morning.  Iron play has been abysmal, hooking everything.  Driver inconsistent, will hit a couple good ones in a row and then hit a crazy sharp slice that is dead OB instantly.  Chipping and especially putting has been solid of late, manages to keep my score reasonable on most holes even if I've made a mess of the first few shots.

#19 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

Played The Currituck Club on vacation this past Thursday.  Wind was brutally tough, never seen anything like it.

Shot 83 with 4 doubles which were all wind aided.  I'll take it, it could've been a lot worse.

@Miller192

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 63,879 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

Two mediocre to bad rounds this weekend.  91 at Clifton Park Friday after work.  98 at Bay Hills Sunday morning.  Iron play has been abysmal, hooking everything.  Driver inconsistent, will hit a couple good ones in a row and then hit a crazy sharp slice that is dead OB instantly.  Chipping and especially putting has been solid of late, manages to keep my score reasonable on most holes even if I've made a mess of the first few shots.

I played there a few weeks ago for the first time.

Hated that course because of how many blind shots there were, especially after the tee.  No idea where the ball ends up.  

@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors