Photo

Netflix: The Keepers - Who Killed Sister Cathy?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

Vanity Fair: Has Netflix Found Its Next Making a Murderer?
http://www.vanityfai...er-cathy-murder

Newsweek: Inside Netflix docuseries "The Keepers," the story of a murdered nun and Catholic church child abuse

TIME: The Keepers: What to Know About Sister Cathy Cesnik's Murder

#2 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

I'll definitely be checking this out
@theoriolereport

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.podbean.com

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Heartbreaking.

Plenty of recognizable names and places having grown up near there.

Aunt of a friend of Rob and I is interviewed.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#4 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:37 AM

Strarted it last night but fell asleep.

#5 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

Just finished first episode. This is gonna get very interesting very soon.

#6 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

4 episodes in. Pretty sick and disgusting stuff.

#7 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

4 episodes in. Pretty sick and disgusting stuff.

I'm at the same point. Hard to watch.
@theoriolereport

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.podbean.com

#8 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,156 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Very hard to watch. Jane Doe talking about how she struggled to do the confessional about her uncle's abuse, only then to be shamed and abused again (repeatedly)... Just so heartbreaking. She was taught that the church was the answer, she believed it, and brought herself to try and heal from her family's abuse. Just so freaking sick.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#9 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

It's the double whammy. They preyed on girls who'd been abused and used that abuse as a way to shame them and guilt them into further abuse. Doubly sick.

The SA they interviewed from the 80's and 90's and early 00's came off very poorly. She seemed like a caricature of a SA. I felt myself saying "only in Baltimore" when she was being interviewed. That said, she may have never seen the pictures of the girls exposed since the police retrieved that evidence from the cemetery and since the police were involved in the abuse network, they probably destroyed all damning evidence before it was ever passed on to the SA office.

I was also thinking how different it would have been under the present environment in Baltimore, where you just had a SA go hard after police. So I am thinking that if the SA had evidence of some kind of sexual abuse network going on at the school they would have brought charges against Maskell and the police officers involved.

But it's sickening and infuriating how he kept falling through the cracks and how insulated he was through the church and police. And I imagine I haven't found the bottom of the rabbit hole yet, either.
  • Ricker Says likes this

#10 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,156 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Part of me wonders if "deepthroat" was dirty and coming forward to divert blame and cause more confusion. I can't fathom a woman knowing what he says she knew (the SA) and running interference for the church. How the hell could you live with that? And the courage of Sr. Cathy is admirable, especially for that era. I just don't have words. It's so unspeakably horrible. And him passing the victims off to "Brother Bob", police and others? Just soooo damn sick.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#11 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,156 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

The woman who came forward when the letters were mailed (Jane Roe)... what an inspiration. Becoming a Lawyer in her 40's and helping victims.

Also, screw that Hopkins professor mocking recovered memories (or whatever the technical term is). I see he's still on staff at JHU. He needs to go, and in a shameful, embarrassing manner.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Thrillist: Netflix’s ‘The Keepers’ TakesTrue Crime TV to the Next Level

The Daily Beast: Who Killed Sister Cathy? All Your ‘The Keepers’ Unanswered Questions Answered
http://www.thedailyb...stions-answered

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

EW: The Keepers binge recap
http://ew.com/recap/the-keepers/

OT: The guy featured in the start of Episode 7, had a mansion in Catonsville...  lost when him and wife ran into trouble in 2004.

http://articles.balt...before-judgment

https://www.redfin.c...28/home/9287493

Back on topic... his comments were very interesting, and ring completely true.

#14 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

I watched the first episode and was hopelessly bored.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 91,583 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

Worth watching in it's entirety.

#16 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

Stick with it. The second episode delves into the surrounding issues surrounding the murder and it's the opposite of boring. I'll admit the first episode can be a slog.

#17 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,156 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

Just finished. Makes me sick to my stomach. The Church is still lying after all these years. Might have missed it, but I'm curious why more digging on the initial priest wasn't done... the one who introduced Jane Doe to Maskell.

#18 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

Just finished. Makes me sick to my stomach. The Church is still lying after all these years. Might have missed it, but I'm curious why more digging on the initial priest wasn't done... the one who introduced Jane Doe to Maskell.

Yup.

I've always had strong feelings about the catholic church but this only deepens and cements those feelings. I'm sure there's good people in the church, a lot actually, but any institution is going to protect itself and they're no different. Just appalling that they had a chance to stop much of this abuse -- not just at Keogh or by Maskell -- but by priests everywhere who were molesting children. Who knows how many deaths they could have prevented, how many lives that would have been different had someone not carried around that abuse with them for so long.

The police and authorities are just as bad. Missing evidence, particularly Cathy's letter postmarked a day after she disappeared. THE VERY REAL POSSIBILITY THAT THE MALECKI MURDER WAS NEVER EVEN INVESTIGATED!!!

Re: Cathy's murder. Edgar did it. He had blood on his shirt the night she disappeared, admitted to driving with two feet which the police deduced from the mud on one pedal and not the other, he had the necklace and called into the investigative show. Not to mention he admitted to trolling for girls at Rock Glen middle school a stone's throw away from where Cathy lived. The other uncle and his friend (Skippy, etc) were also probably involved somehow. This sex ring was big, who knows how many people were involved, either directly or indirectly. 

It all fits together. There's too many people involved for the narrative not to be true. Maskell in one way or another wanted Cathy gone and had some lackeys kill her. Edgar probably killed the Malecki girl too.

• Ricker Says and BSLBobPhelan like this

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 67,037 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Just finished the second episode...pretty disgusting stuff.

Gotta wonder what the mindset of the Jane Doe girl was at the time. Women had very little voice back then but between her uncle and then this, it's so crazy she didn't say anything to her cop father.
@BSLRobShields

#20 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

She's a catholic with catholic guilt. She felt and was made to feel like everything was her fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors