• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

Game 1: Cleveland at Boston 5/17 8:30PM TNT.

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,314 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

Who cares
  • Ricker Says, JordanKough and Markus like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,051 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

Who cares

That's what everyone has said since Oct waiting for Cle-GS III. Tomorrow's lottery has more intrigue than anything the Association has offered all year.

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 60,803 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:03 PM

Cle in 5
@BSLRobShields

#5 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,519 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

That's what everyone has said since Oct waiting for Cle-GS III. Tomorrow's lottery has more intrigue than anything the Association has offered all year.

It's really interesting that the heyday of the NBA is often considered a time where the Finals was assumed year after year.

Personally I would like to see more parity, but at least for the Finals, this type of situation is great.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,051 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

It's really interesting that the heyday of the NBA is often considered a time where the Finals was assumed year after year.

Personally I would like to see more parity, but at least for the Finals, this type of situation is great.

This year was particularly bad. LeBron has had a cakewalk since he returned to Cle in the East and it's finally going to be the same in the West. Though if Parker had not gone down and Leonard was 100% maybe S.A. pushes them. But that was the only team capable of any threat to either GS or Cle. I don't know about the 80s but I know the 90s always had a few teams capable of pushing the Bulls.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

This year was particularly bad. LeBron has had a cakewalk since he returned to Cle in the East and it's finally going to be the same in the West. Though if Parker had not gone down and Leonard was 100% maybe S.A. pushes them. But that was the only team capable of any threat to either GS or Cle. I don't know about the 80s but I know the 90s always had a few teams capable of pushing the Bulls.

Re: The Bulls...   The Pacers and Knicks had a couple of good series vs. the Championship Bulls teams, but for the most part Chicago walked through the East.  Those series were physical though.  Orlando beat them that one year Shaq got to the Finals, but Jordan was just coming back. When he had a full year under his belt, he ruled again.

The teams they faced in the Finals... the Lakers were old... the Blazers were really solid, Clyde was awesome... but that wasn't a tremendously talented team.  Phoenix had a huge year that... Peak Barkley, KJ, Thunder Dan... but still, not a great team. 

Seattle with the Glove, and Kemp was a real threat that year... and obviously the Jazz had the 2 HOF's.

I don't think there is a huge difference. You went into every year after Jordan broke through the Pistons run expecting him to win.
Still would have liked to have seen the Bulls vs. those Houston teams... or Houston after they got Barkley had they stayed healthy.

• BSLMichaelWeber likes this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:38 PM

Do think there is truth about the lottery having more intrigue though. 

Would be slightly surprised if Boston wins 2 games.  They better win Game 1.

#9 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,051 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

Its interesting you say this assuming you mean the Lakers-Celtics of the 80s. While it's true that between them they made it to the Finals every year they only played each other in the Finals 3 of the 10 years. Both lost in Conference Finals multiple times. Celtics to the 76ers and Pistons. Lakers to the Rockets. Other than 84 and 85 where both dominated the playoffs it seems like there was competition.

#10 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,519 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Its interesting you say this assuming you mean the Lakers-Celtics of the 80s. While it's true that between them they made it to the Finals every year they only played each other in the Finals 3 of the 10 years. Both lost in Conference Finals multiple times. Celtics to the 76ers and Pistons. Lakers to the Rockets. Other than 84 and 85 where both dominated the playoffs it seems like there was competition.

Of course I don't mean for the entire decade.

For a stretch in the mid 80's,they were both expected to make the Finals. They did so 3 out of 4 years. The other year can probably be chalked up to shit happens more than a year where the observers thought that matchup wasn't inevitable.

That span is often considered the heyday of the NBA, and it doesn't seem like there was any more suspense in terms of the Finals matchup than there has been these last 3 seasons.

#11 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,051 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

The NBA heyday was a 4 year stretch?? I agree there are some comparisons to GS-Cle and Bos-LA but an LA-Bos matchups in the Finals was never as inevitable and easy as GS-Cle this year. You try to make a case for '85 when both won 60+games and never lost more than 2 games in a series but I would still disagree.

#12 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,519 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:30 PM

Yes, people often consider that stretch the heyday of the NBA. That's pretty clear. Another time that is often considered an NBA heyday is the Bulls dynasty. I wouldn't be surprised if this period joined those either. There are issues with dominant teams diminishing suspense, but people seem to look back fondly on stretches dominated by 1-2 teams.

Otherwise, I'm not going to break down the exact likelihood of Lakers-Celtics finals compared to Warriors-Cavs for each year of their dominant stretches. My point obviously has merit so there's no need for all that.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 60,803 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:22 AM

The competition in the NBA hasn't been good...like ever.

I mean, let's face it.  The league has essentially been dominated by a few teams and their respective dynasties almost every decade. 

Every once in a while, a new team gets sprinkled in but basically, you have the Bulls, Lakers, Spurs, Celtics and whatever team LeBron has been on.

Now, maybe in some other years, there were 4 or 5 teams total that could make the finals and this year, it probably is just 2 but its not a huge difference.

• Mike B likes this
@BSLRobShields

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

The competition in the NBA hasn't been good...like ever.

I mean, let's face it.  The league has essentially been dominated by a few teams and their respective dynasties almost every decade. 

Every once in a while, a new team gets sprinkled in but basically, you have the Bulls, Lakers, Spurs, Celtics and whatever team LeBron has been on.

Now, maybe in some other years, there were 4 or 5 teams total that could make the finals and this year, it probably is just 2 but its not a huge difference.

Agreed, the only difference is in today's NBA, it is more scripted because you have players picking their team and team mates, and seemingly 25 % of the teams in the league, tanking and allowing players to land wherever they want.

@mikeghg

#15 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,519 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

Re: The Bulls...   The Pacers and Knicks had a couple of good series vs. the Championship Bulls teams, but for the most part Chicago walked through the East.  Those series were physical though.  Orlando beat them that one year Shaq got to the Finals, but Jordan was just coming back. When he had a full year under his belt, he ruled again.

The teams the faced in the Finals... the Lakers were old... the Blazers were really solid, Clyde was awesome... but that wasn't a tremendously talented team.  Phoenix had a huge year that... Peak Barkley, KJ, Thunder Dan... but still, not a great team. 

Seattle with the Glove, and Kemp was a real threat that year... and obviously the Jazz had the 2 HOF's.

I don't think there is a huge difference. You went into every year after Jordan broke through the Pistons run expecting him to win.
Still would have liked to have seen the Bulls vs. those Houston teams... or Houston after they got Barkley had they stayed healthy.

Good post.

Getting away from the Bulls competition in the East compared to the Heat/Cavs competition in the East, I believe that the best teams in the league are better now than they were during that Bulls run. The Bulls' competition was not especially strong IMO. 

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

CBS Sports: Cavs-Celtics preview: 5 questions as Boston looks to stun the champs in Eastern finals
http://www.cbssports...eastern-finals/

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

The Ringer: Jaylen Brown Can’t Stop LeBron, but the Celtics Need Him to Try

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

SI: Will The Cavaliers Finally Be Tested?

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

Cleveland up 24 with 2 mts left in the 2nd.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

Sports on Earth: Cavs Feel the Love Against Boston

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Sponsors