#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

Finally decided to start talking about the most accomplished team in the city? :D

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DJ_McCann

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

BSL: Stephen Cooke Reflects On Time With The Baltimore Blast

http://baltimorespor...altimore-blast/

#4 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

Goodbye to the old, decrepit 56 year Civic Center. You can rename, put a new coat of paint on it, but it's still a useless piece of crap.

Blast find new home at Towson University's SECU Arena

http://www.baltimore...0831-story.html

• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Heard this on the radio this morning.  When the Blast decide to play elsewhere it's time to start working on a replacement for RF Arena.

• RampageBassoon likes this
You can bet on the numbers, or you can bet on Buck Showalter.

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:44 AM

The two big things they always said about why they wouldn't shut down the arena to build on the same plot were the Blast and the circus.

Well...

• BSLChrisBacon, Mike B and DuffMan like this
@DJ_McCann

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

I used to go to a lot of Baltimore Bullet games as a kid, and the place was a dump then.  

A replacement, has been needed, for a long time, but with all the problems the city has, I am not sure it is in the cards.

@mikeghg

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

The other factor, that was not mentioned in the article, but is becoming a bigger concern every day is the safety factor in the area.

@mikeghg

#9 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,893 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

It's interesting that the playing field will be smaller at the Towson arena. You would think that wouldn't be flexible. 

It sucks that they're moving as Kelly and I would occasionally go to the games, but oh well, it's not that big of a deal to us.

#10 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,893 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

The other factor, that was not mentioned in the article, but is becoming a bigger concern every day is the safety factor in the area.

I think that's more a perception issue than anything else. 

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,108 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

One of the points I've regularly seen against building a new arena is that the current one has mostly been profitable for the city for several years now. News like this begs the question of whether that will be the case much longer.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

I think that's more a perception issue than anything else. 

I am downtown a good bit, and it is more than perception.  The restaurants down in the area, are noticeably less crowded before games.

@mikeghg

#13 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,893 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

I am downtown a good bit, and it is more than perception.  The restaurants down in the area, are noticeably less crowded before games.

That sounds exactly like a perception issue. ;)

BTW, I live right by Camden Yards. 

#14 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

Building a new arena, and the surrounding business boom that would come from that, would fix a lot of the safety issues. I also agree that it's probably more perception than reality but crime has been popping up more frequently downtown this year. A new arena is a want for the city at this point, has been for 30 years, but there are so many more needs that it'll probably never happen in our lifetimes. Very good chance RFA turns 100.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

Building a new arena, and the surrounding business boom that would come from that, would fix a lot of the safety issues. I also agree that it's probably more perception than reality but crime has been popping up more frequently downtown this year. A new arena is a want for the city at this point, has been for 30 years, but there are so many more needs that it'll probably never happen in our lifetimes. Very good chance RFA turns 100.

Then they'll make it a landmark and we're screwed :lol:

@DJ_McCann

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

That sounds exactly like a perception issue. ;)

BTW, I live right by Camden Yards. 

I am not trying to insult you or anyone else.  It maybe a perception thing, but it is one that I think is keeping people away.

BTW, I go to every Ravens game, try to get as many Oriole games as possible, so it is not keeping me or my group from going down there.

I do not go to many Arena events, but that is because the place is a glorified land fill.  

Again, not trying to insult anyone, or the place they call home and   I apologize if I did.

@mikeghg

#17 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,893 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

I'm not insulted at all so no worries.

I just feel that the crime stuff is very overblown, at least when used to talk about any area in Baltimore where white people predominantly live and visit.

I do agree that perception is an issue though.

#18 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

RFA still does good business for an arena of its size and age so the location is  not keeping anyone away. Yeah, there's a metro station there and a major bus transfer, so it's crowded with city folk. That doesn't make the area unsafe -- in fact that probably makes it more safe. But I will agree that that immediate surrounding area to the north isn't the most attractive. Lots of boarded up buildings, empty storefronts and otherwise razed buildings.  I park on Park Ave a lot for O's and Ravens games so I know the area pretty well.

#19 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,893 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Of yeah, much of the area to the north is pretty crappy, no doubt about that. I would advocate clearing a large section of that area and turning into a significant downtown park.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:23 PM

MASL ANNOUNCES CONFERENCE AND DIVISION ALIGNMENTS FOR 2017-2018

KANSAS CITY (September 19, 2017) – The Major Arena Soccer League (MASL) announced today the divisional and conference alignments for the upcoming 2017-2018 season. The MASL enters its fourth season with an eye towards further stability and long-term growth.

Over the last three seasons, the league has taken measures to stabilize and grow the league and heads into the 2017-2018 season with a roster of at least 24 teams in the MASL pyramid, including an expected 8-12 teams in the newly formed MASL2.

With many teams having already released dates for their respective home-openers, the full 2017-2018 MASL schedule is set to be released in the next week. The league will be split into an Eastern and Western Conference with two divisions in each conference.

The schedule will highlight both traditional and regional rivalries, putting more importance on each regular season victory.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Central Division

Cedar Rapids Rampage
Kansas City Comets

Milwaukee Wave

St. Louis Ambush

Eastern Division

Baltimore Blast

Florida Tropics

Harrisburg Heat

Syracuse Silver Knights

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Division

Ontario Fury

San Diego Sockers

Tacoma Stars

Turlock Express

Southwest Division

El Paso Coyotes

Monterrey Flash

RGV Barracudas

Soles de Sonora

The MASL is excited about the return of the RGV Barracudas and Monterrey Flash to the schedule, with the first Canadian franchise set to begin play in Toronto in 2018-2019. In addition, the Kansas City Comets will remain in the MASL 1st Division after an offseason restructuring of the team’s ownership and management. Commissioner Joshua Schaub will continue to explore options for further league expansion in future seasons.

“Last season was so exciting for me, as I’m sure it was for many of our fans,” said MASL commissioner Joshua Schaub. “I am very excited to continue with the MASL and watch as the sport of arena soccer continues to grow across North America.”

The Chicago Mustangs have elected to play this season in the brand new MASL2. This new league will be focused on discovering and developing arena soccer players in a competitive atmosphere, while expanding the reach of arena soccer across North America. Atletico Baja is exploring the option of playing in MASL2 while they reorganize their operations as well. The Dallas Sidekicks will be inactive for the 2017-2018 season, but the team is already working with the league and the Allen Event Center to make the Sidekicks return in 2018-2019 a smooth one.

ABOUT THE MAJOR ARENA SOCCER LEAGUE

The Major Arena Soccer League represents the highest level of professional arena soccer in the world. The MASL features teams across North America, with teams playing coast-to-coast in the United States and Mexico. The MASL is currently incorporated as a 501©6 not for profit corporation formed to promote the business and sport of arena soccer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors