#41 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

If Brady had anything to do with Trumbo coming back, that's a problem.  I wonder if that's why he, and not Duquette were involved directly in that negotiation?  His feelings about Darren O'Day also led to the Orioles signing him to an 4/$31 M per year deal purely to keep him from the Nationals.

I remember how vigilantly he defended Nolan Reimold when the Orioles wanted to cut him loose and should have.

Being a front office exec, you can't let your personal feelings get in the way of the day to day business of the team and with Brady those lines are blurred. It's the same reason Buck Showalter would be a terrible GM IMO.  He falls in love with certain players and hates others and that absolutely blurs his vision when it comes to evaluating talent.

Dan Duquette may have a terrible personality when it comes to relating to players, but he is a shrewd evaluator of talent and doesn't let feelings get in the way of business moves of the team.  Brady has already done that just like Buck.

Somehow these three have blended the best of their skills to make the relationships work, but Brady is going to have to decide which world he wants to be in because he can't have it both ways and continue have the team be successful if he wants an even larger role in the future.  Playing favorites as a GM only leads to losing - just ask Andy MacPhail about Felix Pie.

Love the way you take one or two points and draw a conclusion.

Felix Pie is how you judge AM.  

If that is fair then DD must be bad too, because didn't he trade for Junior Lake.

Buck hates some guys.

Talent evaluation is an imperfect science.  

I think Brady is PA's mouthpiece.

Signing O'Day away from the Nats is a very PGA thing.

As for Trumbo, DD played that out.   He got him down to his price.

Anyway the Rosenthal thing has a lot of points that ring true, but any Rosenthal article about the Orioles FO and organization is also suspect.  His hatred of Angelos, is documented.

The "insolent little twit" does not like King Pete.

@mikeghg

#42 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

You can have favorites as a GM as long as those favorites are decent players. Arrieta was apparently one of Brady's favorites, but a business decision decided at the time that Scott Feldman was more important.

What could have been if the forward thinking Brady had kept that favorite around and driven Chiti and Wallace out sooner.
@BSLMikeRandall

#43 FFM

FFM

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

To me, I'm fine with the story.

If anything, it shows that there is dysfunction - something that was already known.  

However, Brady has clearly been a part of the change within the clubhouse and the attitude of the players.  Honestly, I came out of the article wondering how much more significant Brady's influence over the players has been in changing the clubhouse culture than Buck's. 

However, I agree with Wallace and Chiti's sentiments.  You have to work with each other when coaching (or doing some semblance of that) and you can't set up your counterparts for failure, otherwise the message gets muddled.  In this instance, I probably would have stuck with the company line as far as Wright is concerned - because he clearly thinks he knows better than the coaches.

You may get your Brady's who really do - but Wright isn't that guy - he comes off more like a petulant child.  You can see it when he pitches, and it's probably going to run his hopes into the ground.

#44 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:20 AM

Anybody in Brady's dual role is in a tricky situation.

There are both good things and troublesome things about him being in that dual role.  You could say it's a symptom of PA-related dysfunction.  But you could also say that the good things about it outweigh the troublesome things.

From a distance, the Wallace/Chiti thing sounds like Brady screwed up in terms of boundaries and mutual respect.  I can easily imagine he didn't realize it at the time... at the time, he was busy just saying what he thought.  But still.

Even if it was a screw-up, that doesn't mean that Brady's dual role is an overall bad thing.  

It just means he needs to think first.  When he takes a dual role job, he accepts the weight of having to do that.  

Maybe he does it a lot as-is.  We'd never hear about all the times he kept his mouth shut or spoke about issues in a way that didn't cause trouble.  The only time we'd ever hear about it is when one got by the goalie...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#45 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:49 AM

You can have favorites as a GM as long as those favorites are decent players. Arrieta was apparently one of Brady's favorites, but a business decision decided at the time that Scott Feldman was more important.

What could have been if the forward thinking Brady had kept that favorite around and driven Chiti and Wallace out sooner.

Yeah!

The same Chiti and Wallace that had absolutely nothing to do with Arrieta! 

#46 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Your right. I thought they overlapped in 2013.

Point remains the same. It was the same coaching style as Wallace's coaching that screwed up Arrieta. He goes to the Cubs and they clear his head, tell him to do what feels right...we know the rest.
@BSLMikeRandall

#47 RZNJ

RZNJ

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • LocationNorth Brunswick, NJ

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

I think I'm repeating what someone else already said.   The article isn't about Brady Duquette, Showalter, Wallace, or Chiti.   All are good baseball men doing their jobs the best way they know how.

The article is about Angelos and his boys, who seem to be taking right after their dad.    It's about setting up departments with boundaries and mutual respect.   Remember the dysfunction between the scouting department and the player develop department?   Remember when it was whispered that the Stockstill's had the ear of Angelos (or was it his kid?) and were "protected"?.    Remember when Angelos decided that two GM's were better than one?

Brady was doing what he thought was best for the ogranization.   Chiti and Wallace were too.   As Wallace said, they make "suggestions".     Two years ago Wallace and Chiti were the best thing since sliced bread.   Everyone loved them.    Now, one article and they are bad guys.    I'd say they are good guys and good coaches.   Brady is a good guy and a good coach.

Angelos and the boys don't know how to run a baseball organization.    They've hit some luck along the way but they still don't get it.

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B, Coker and 2 others like this

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

I think I'm repeating what someone else already said.   The article isn't about Brady Duquette, Showalter, Wallace, or Chiti.   All are good baseball men doing their jobs the best way they know how.

The article is about Angelos and his boys, who seem to be taking right after their dad.    It's about setting up departments with boundaries and mutual respect.   Remember the dysfunction between the scouting department and the player develop department?   Remember when it was whispered that the Stockstill's had the ear of Angelos (or was it his kid?) and were "protected"?.    Remember when Angelos decided that two GM's were better than one?

Brady was doing what he thought was best for the ogranization.   Chiti and Wallace were too.   As Wallace said, they make "suggestions".     Two years ago Wallace and Chiti were the best thing since sliced bread.   Everyone loved them.    Now, one article and they are bad guys.    I'd say they are good guys and good coaches.   Brady is a good guy and a good coach.

Angelos and the boys don't know how to run a baseball organization.    They've hit some luck along the way but they still don't get it.

Spot on!!  Well said.

@mikeghg

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

Chiti and Wallace only had Jake one year.  His problems here preceded Wallace and Chiti.  I was Jake's biggest supporter when he was here, hated the trade then and now, but his issues were not all on the two pitching coaches.

@mikeghg

#50 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

I don't recall anyone calling Chiti and Wallace the greatest thing since sliced bread. Bullpen coaches pretty much answer the phone. What does Wallace have to hang his hat on?
@BSLMikeRandall

#51 TBWChrisChurch

TBWChrisChurch
  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

The whole Brady Anderson situation is just odd. Seemed to come out of nowhere from Rosenthal. Appears that he's helping the team more than hurting the team. 

More on my thoughts here: The latest scoop from Orioles spring training

#52 RZNJ

RZNJ

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:51 PM

Your right. I thought they overlapped in 2013.

Point remains the same. It was the same coaching style as Wallace's coaching that screwed up Arrieta. He goes to the Cubs and they clear his head, tell him to do what feels right...we know the rest.

Rick Adair had Arrieta making major mechanical changes.   Wallace suggested Wright move to the other side of the rubber.    You gotta show me more than that.     

#53 RZNJ

RZNJ

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:55 PM

I don't recall anyone calling Chiti and Wallace the greatest thing since sliced bread. Bullpen coaches pretty much answer the phone. What does Wallace have to hang his hat on?

Britton gave them a lot of credit.   Most of the pitchers seemed to like them quite a bit.   The fans loved the things they read about them that first spring training as new coaches usually get great treatment from the beat writers.    What does Wallace have to hang his hat on.  Maybe, without looking it up, 20 years of coaching in the big leagues and getting the most out of an Orioles starting rotation (in the 2nd half of 2014) than we've seen in a long, long time.    He probably got too much credit for that just as he's taking too much heat for something like this.   Wright was struggling and he and Chiti suggested he try pitching from the 3rd base side of the rubber.   Give me a break!

#54 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

The fact that Wright loses his cool and can't cope any time anything goes wrong makes me care about this a lot less...

#55 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:59 PM

So what does Brady do during the season?  Fill the cups and straws in section 312? Negotiate Manny's extension?

Who gives him direction? Peter? John? Everyone?

@Miller192

#56 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:25 PM

So what does Brady do during the season?  Fill the cups and straws in section 312? Negotiate Manny's extension?

Who gives him direction? Peter? John? Everyone?

Nobody knows...

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,829 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

You know, a lot is being said about Brady's inclusion in resigning some guys, but I don't think his influence is what people think it is. I'm pretty sure his involvement is getting PA to sign off on it, which we all know is really the hard part.

Views on this will skew based on whether you personally like who is being resigned, but ultimately if he's got that kind of influence that is about the only thing getting PA to open the purse strings for anything, and I'd much rather him spend it on someone that even marginally helps the team versus not spending it at all. Lets be real, thats the REAL alternative here, because he's not magically going to have a huge influx of baseball sense and say, oh yeah, we should take this $20 mil instead and invest in high level international signings for two years and restock the system. He's just not, so that pipe dream needs to go. I'd much rather have someone like Brady interfere and get him to resign Trumbo (to a great value deal btw), or resign O'Day to try to keep that bullpen dominance that was giving us our edge for a couple years. If only he would have done that for Andrew Miller...

• Hooded Viper, Mackus, DuffMan and 1 other like this
@JeremyMStrain

#58 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

As a side bar, the chaos you see with the team is exactly how the firm is run as well.  I have a friend who was a lawyer there that recently left and said there were no written internal policies or procedures and that everything had to be approved by the Old Man or John.  How that shit flys in today's corporate environment I have no idea but it was because of this that my friend left for another law firm.

• Don Quixote likes this

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,274 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

My guess would be that Brady limits the disorder that is inherent to Angelos' ownership.  He can't eliminate it,  because who can, but things probably run more smoothly with Brady around as a sort of Angelos sherpa than they would if we didn't have him.  If the cost of that skill is that he interferes with some of the coaching staff, either major or minor, I can definitely live with that.  Especially if he's also helping a ton in the areas of training and nutrition, and all accounts indicate he is making significant contributions there.

• JeremyStrain, Hooded Viper and Don Quixote like this

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

Oh boy. Lil Ken is at it again.

It's ultimately a fair article but one where you feel like he's going out of his way to create friction where there is probably just the normal workplace stuff that goes on everywhere. And that's not surprising given Ken's history with this organization.

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't think most sports journalists have an agenda (save for Nestor) -- but I think Rosenthal does. I think this stuff goes on in many sports environments -- it's not like George Steinbrenner or Jerry Buss has never undermined their subordinates from doing their jobs.

I thought it was a good article.

My concern was that there didn't seem to be any clear answer to who Brady answers to.  

He seems like a glorified Special Assistant to the Owner, who is more like an AGM in nature except through the organization hierarchy.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors