#1 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

In keeping with the theme of the reformed US MNT I thought I would start a new thread for the Hex. Kilnsmann is gone and Arena is back. I wrote my thoughts about this:

BSL: USMNT 3 - The Hex Under Arena

Lets see how we progess now with Bruce in charge.

• BSLChrisStoner, DuffMan and Don Quixote like this

#2 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

Nice write up, agreed about Bradley being better suited for a defensive middie position at this point.  On a related note I would be fine with not seeing Jermaine Jones in any more meaningful games.

You can bet on the numbers, or you can bet on Buck Showalter.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

Sports Illustrated: U.S. pieces coming together for Arena

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Potential change for Camp Cupcake. Looks strongly that Horvath is going to transfer to the Belgium first division. Great move for him if this happens but would likely mean he isn't available for the January camp. So big chance for Hamid to shine as he'll be the clear #1 in camp

http://www.starsands...n-horvath-molde

• Don Quixote likes this

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

Julian Green has moved on from Bayern Munich going to second division Stuttgart. But Stuttgart has a good chance at being promoted next season back to the top league. This is a really good move and will give Julian much more playing time to show what he can do.

http://www.espnfc.us...n-for-stuttgart

• BSLChrisStoner and Don Quixote like this

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,862 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

Not that he necessarily would have been a better choice than Arena, but had they waited a month they could have hired Bradley (sacked today as Swansea HC) to be the caretaker until after the 2018 Cup.

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

Bradley wouldn't have been a bad choice but I almost think, with the pending aging of Michael and where he should really play, it might be better that Bruce is in charge. IF he see's fit to keep Michael in a key central role it will be accepted as the right thing. Not sure the same would be the case if his Dad was in charge. There was all kinds of flack before when Bob was coaching the team with Michael playing.

As a Coach who also had a son on my team, I get the extra pressure that comes with every decision you make. In fact I think I actually tended to play my son less than he really should have just to avoid any parental nonsense. You would think at the level of the MNT that petty crap like that wouldn't occur but I am sure there are many in the media who would just make that an issue even if it weren't.

• Don Quixote likes this

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

http://www.ussoccer....or-january-camp

GOALKEEPERS (5): David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Stefan Frei (Seattle Sounders FC), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)

DEFENDERS (10)DaMarcus Beasley (Unattached),Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Greg Garza (Atlanta United FC), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Taylor Kemp (D.C. United), Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders FC), Keegan Rosenberry (Philadelphia Union), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS (12):Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas),Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Jermaine Jones (Unattached), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Kekuta Manneh (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (5):Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Some interesting things to see here. First, is the inclusion of Graham Zusi at right back! Also a bit surprised to see he called in Wondo. Not sure there were better choices but his days have to be past being any kind of impact player in meaningful matches. Good to see Ngabe in the mix....but he needs to get his head focused on the MNT. Either he wants to play at that level and commits to doing what it takes or just stay home.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#9 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,291 posts
  • LocationNot Cloudy Enough So-Cal

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

Congrats to Taylor Kemp for getting his first call-up.  If anything the higher level of practice should help.

Also glad to see both Dax and Pontius get calls.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

Sports Illustrated: USMNT urgency prevalent at typically easygoing January camp

• Don Quixote likes this

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

I think the leaders on the team are starting to voice a new unison....passion and commitment are the difference between a talented team that falls short or that same team excelling.  Hopefully Arena will bring back that passion and commitment and instill it in the players who truly want to represent the country. 

Excellent interview with Tim Howard...guy totally bleeds red, white, and blue.

http://www.usatoday....smann/96689094/

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,835 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

I think the leaders on the team are starting to voice a new unison....passion and commitment are the difference between a talented team that falls short or that same team excelling.  Hopefully Arena will bring back that passion and commitment and instill it in the players who truly want to represent the country. 

Excellent interview with Tim Howard...guy totally bleeds red, white, and blue.

http://www.usatoday....smann/96689094/

http://www.espnfc.co...-jermaine-jones

@DJ_McCann

#13 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

I think people are reading more into what Tim means to say than his actual words. Sure he aimed a bit of this at the foreign born dual nationals...and I could name several that fit this criticism. But in the end the general point is spot on. If you want to play and I mean really play for the MNT then you need to be 100% committed (Ngabe are you reading this)?

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

Sports Illustrated: A second first impression

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

MNT's first game under returned head coach, Bruce Arena, is tomorrow at 4pm EST on ESPN 2. Going to be a good chance to see the team and how they react on the field to a new direction. Clearly whatever 11 starts tomorrow will not be the same starting 11 come the next round of qualifiers in March since the European based players weren't called into this camp.

But I think the mentality the team shows tomorrow will give us an idea of whether or not Bruce has this team back believing in themselves and playing the way we are used to seeing....all out 100% leave it on the field and a "team" that somehow plays better than the collective group of individuals. Rising to the occasion and out gritting better teams has been the hallmark of American soccer for a long time. But somewhere along the road the last few years we seemed to have lost that.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

SI: Who has the most to gain vs. Serbia?

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 84,200 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

SI: Watch: Nagbe comes close twice in Arena's return, USA's friendly vs. Serbia
http://www.si.com/pl...flow_twitter_si

#18 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,291 posts
  • LocationNot Cloudy Enough So-Cal

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

Caught the 2nd half.

Unimpressive but it was nice to see Pontius get in the match.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,835 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

Caught the 2nd half.

Unimpressive but it was nice to see Pontius get in the match.

Do you think he has a chance to help pilot this team to new heights, or will we eventually want to wash our hands of him?

@DJ_McCann

#20 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

Pontius was pretty flat....won't say awful but just about. The whole team seemed disorganized in the attack. Put some nice balls to Altidore to hold high but then they didn't know what to do next.

Ngabe had some nice position play. Was finding lots of space on the left but he didn't do much dangerous once he did get the ball up there.

Overall a very unimpressive game considering it was the Serbian B/C team. Granted we were nowhere near our top squad either but to not find the back of the net at home against that opponent was pretty weak performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Sponsors