• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#1 Atomtastic

Atomtastic
  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

So among the key players this time, who is likely not to be back in 2018? Have to believe Howard and Beasley won't be back. We know Jurgen prefers youth. Could this also be the last we see of JJ, Beckerman and Dempsey at the WC?

Check out this article.  This is a projection on the roster for the next World Cup. 

• BSLChrisStoner, DuffMan and Markus like this

#2 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Grantland: World Cup Pass & Move: The Boys of Summer

http://grantland.com...boys-of-summer/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Check out this article.  This is a projection on the roster for the next World Cup. 

And another projection from Goal.com:
http://www.goal.com/...world-cup-squad

• Markus likes this

#4 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationNot Cloudy Enough So-Cal

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Jurgen Klinsmann answered questions from U.S. soccer fans on Facebook

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

ESPN: US World Cup Player Rankings
http://www.espnfc.us...player-rankings

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I'll play the game I hate more than anything -- the "if game." 

Serious question here for the people who know more about soccer than I do. We will never know for sure, but if Landon Donovan had been on the roster especially given Jozy's injury, does the results change much if at all? I have a hard time believing they can get beyond the quarters, but beating Belgium even without him was doable as we saw.

Discuss...

@levineps

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

Serious question here for the people who know more about soccer than I do. We will never know for sure, but if Landon Donovan had been on the roster especially given Jozy's injury, does the results change much if at all? I have a hard time believing they can get beyond the quarters, but beating Belgium even without him was doable as we saw.

Discuss...

He would have helped the roster, I'm convinced about that.  I don't think it's fair for anyone to say the results would have changed.

#8 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Discuss...

He would've been a late-game substitute.  It wouldn't really have affected most of any game since Dempsey and Bradley would've still had to play out of position for most of the game until Landon came in. 

Now, would he have been in the same spot as Wondolowski (when he blew it over the bar), assuming Landon would've been subbed in instead of Wondo and actually converted that shot himself?  No idea.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Sports Illustrated: 23 for 2018

http://www.si.com/so...orld-cup-roster

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

He would've been a late-game substitute.  It wouldn't really have affected most of any game since Dempsey and Bradley would've still had to play out of position for most of the game until Landon came in. 

Now, would he have been in the same spot as Wondolowski (when he blew it over the bar), assuming Landon would've been subbed in instead of Wondo and actually converted that shot himself?  No idea.

You think he would've been used in the group play as a sub at all? I would think possibly Germany? 

@levineps

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

You think he would've been used in the group play as a sub at all? I would think possibly Germany? 

His inclusion on the roster could have reshaped the configurations of the team in the Portugal, Germany, and Belgium matches. Do agree the most likely outcome would have been him being used as a reserve though.

#12 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Those first couple of sentences I meant for any/all games of this past WC.  And with that, no idea of how much of an impact, if any, he would've made.  Hell, he couldn't even help the Galaxy beat the Carolina Rail Hawks in a US Open Cup game last week.

#13 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

Oh my, I hope that's faked.

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:54 AM

He would have helped the roster, I'm convinced about that.  I don't think it's fair for anyone to say the results would have changed.

Sums up my feelings. No way to say if the ultimate result would have been different, but I can confidently say Donovan would have played a bigger role than Julian Greene did (the goal vs Belgium notwithstanding). Definitely get the feeling that from Jurgen' s perspective this Cup was as much about laying groundwork for the future as it was present success.

#15 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,314 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

Oh my, I hope that's faked.

A. Of course, edited. Thats 1 out of every God knows how many people screened.

B. People will do anything to get on tv.

C. If people are on their toes, when they get asked an absurd question like that they would roll with it knowing that is the ticket to getting on tv.

#16 Markus

Markus

Natinals Fanboi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,328 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Landon Donovan criticizes Klinsmann for conservative tactics

"I think the most disappointing is we didn't seem like we gave it a real effort, from a tactical standpoint. I thought the guys did everything they could, they did everything that was asked of them, but I don't think we were set up to succeed yesterday, and that was tough to watch."

"They were set up in a way that was opposite from what they've been the past couple years, which is opening up, passing, attacking – trying to do that. And the team's been successful that way. Why they decided to switch that in the World Cup, none of us will know. From a playing standpoint, I think the guys will probably be disappointed in the way things went."

He could very well be right (though I don't really agree) but this really comes off as sour grapes.  He did a good job, publicly with his comments and the EA commercial, of rolling with the punches of getting left off the squad but he kinda sounds bitter. 

Hey Landon, maybe you should worry more about Bruce Arena's tactics since your team couldn't even beat a USL team in the Open Cup.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

He was hired as an Analyst for ESPN, and asked his opinions. No problem here imo.

Wasn't particularly harsh in these comments, and he was particularly gracious to JK during multipe interviews in the wc.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

He was hired as an Analyst for ESPN, and asked his opinions. No problem here imo.

And ESPN hired him for this exact reason. Still comes across as sour grapes though IMO. I can't say as if I have a problem with it.

@levineps

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Sports Illustrated: As anticipation builds over Zelalem's future, Arsenal prospect keeps focus

http://www.si.com/so...-usa-germanyer.

Could be a future USMNT player.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,519 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

Grantland: How DeAndre Yedlin went from being the player with a 1 percent chance of making the USMNT’s final cut to one of the breakout performers in the 2014 World Cup

http://grantland.com...lub-mls-soccer/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors