#2 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts
  • LocationThe BQ

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:56 PM

Well, that's football and how teams other than the ManUs and Chelseas operate. They buy a player for 350k and then when he blows up, they sell him for 35 million. It's like winning the lottery. So they'll take some of this profit and they'll sign replacements and hold on to Vardy by giving him a big raise. Also, winning the Prem and getting into the Champions League brings big, big money with it. If you can take one dream season and turn it into a 5 year run of being near the top of the league, all of a sudden you're Arsenal and you've got a global fan base and you can sign the Hazards and the Tevezes once in a while.

All in all, it's a good system.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:19 PM

BSL: English Premier League 2016-17

http://baltimorespor...ague-2016-2107/

The latest from Steve.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

NBC Sports / PST: Preseason roundup: 10 Premier League clubs in action Saturday

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

Sports on Earth: EPL manager power rankings

• Don Quixote likes this

#6 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts
  • LocationThe BQ

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:25 AM

Maybe I'm missing the ranking criteria but how can Ranieri be the 7th best manager in the EPL?

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

Russ I don't think its too hard to figure out. First off, as you know, there are only 20 managers in the EPL in the first place. So being #7 only puts him at the bottom of the top third or the top of the middle third. So its not like they are way overstating his ranking.

But most importantly, he did take Leicester to their first EPL crown in their 132 years of existence. That is a pretty remarkable feat.  But don't worry. He'll fall back down to earth this season.....lol.

#8 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,400 posts
  • LocationThe BQ

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:03 PM

Russ I don't think its too hard to figure out. First off, as you know, there are only 20 managers in the EPL in the first place. So being #7 only puts him at the bottom of the top third or the top of the middle third. So its not like they are way overstating his ranking.

But most importantly, he did take Leicester to their first EPL crown in their 132 years of existence. That is a pretty remarkable feat.  But don't worry. He'll fall back down to earth this season.....lol.

I couldn't see a reason why he wouldn't be #1.

#9 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,299 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:30 PM

I'll take Poch and be happy with it.

@fuzydunlop

#10 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

Russ, my bad, thought your post was questioning how he could be so high. I think the reason he wasn't #1 is his historical track record. He has a history of managing great teams on paper buy on the field....not so much. At least in the eyes of a lot of the major media folks.

But for last year I agree. He took a 5000-1 team and turned them into EPL champions. That is a hell of a feat!

• Russ likes this

#11 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,461 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

Anyone watching the Barcelona / Leicester City tilt? Great match so far, and Barcelona just took a 1-0 lead. I saw that Barcelona spent $485M on their payroll this year, where LC spent $84M. Just wow. That's why I love the Premier League.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#12 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:07 AM

Watching the FA Community Shield and at the half Man U is leading Leicester 1-0. Ibrahmovic looks to be a great edition to Man U. They have one deep roster and over the long 8 months of the EPL season that can be a huge difference maker.

#13 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:15 AM

OMG......Fellaini with a bonehead back pass giving Leicester and easy break away. 1-1.  Guy has a ton of talent but its crap like that which got him benched by Belgium in the Euros. Just can't make that kind of error at this level and when you give it up to a player like Vardy he won't miss.

#14 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

82nd minute Ibrahmovic scores the winner. Goes way high to get a head on the ball and directs into the corner. Keeper had no chance. Man U fans have to be full on excited for this season......yup that would be me.....lol

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

Sports on Earth: Predicting the EPL Best XI 2016-17
http://www.sportsone...ayers-preseason

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:29 PM

The Ringer: 20 Burning Premier League Questions Answered
https://theringer.co...5724#.adc878op2

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

NBC Sports / PST: Can Leicester City repeat as Premier League champs?

NBC Sports / PST: Is Tottenham finally ready to earn a Premier League title?
http://soccer.nbcspo...r-league-title/

#18 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:09 AM

Watching the FA Community Shield and at the half Man U is leading Leicester 1-0. Ibrahimovic looks to be a great edition to Man U. They have one deep roster and over the long 8 months of the EPL season that can be a huge difference maker.

Quite so. They've been very aggressive this summer, getting their signing objectives completed before the start of the campaign. That should help them a fair bit this season in the title hunt and FA Cup defense (at least), as the club is very hungry to reassert itself, as you know. Mourinho will want the Europa League title in his back pocket to get back to the Champions League should things not pan out as anticipated in the Premiership. It will be interesting to see if they are deep enough to handle it all, and to see how it's managed.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,381 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

ESPN: ESPN FC's predicted Premier League table and writers' picks
http://www.espnfc.co...d-writers-picks

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators