#61 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

Also, when interviewed for Jimmy Kimmel, and asked about Rocky III, he said something along the lines of "oh the one where he goes downtown to the gym with the monkeys."

"Dance for me boy" is not anywhere near appropriate either.

I don't think its a "huge reach" to call McGregor racist.

I'm still slightly rooting for him because Floyd beats women, and I don't like how Floyd has manicured his career,  but both of these guys are a-holes. 

Edit: I don't gamble on sports. But if I did, I would bet it all on Floyd. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#62 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 6,948 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Also, when interviewed for Jimmy Kimmel, and asked about Rocky III, he said something along the lines of "oh the one where he goes downtown to the gym with the monkeys." "Dance for me boy" is not anywhere near appropriate either. I don't think its a "huge reach" to call McGregor racist. I'm still slightly rooting for him because Floyd beats women, and I don't like how Floyd has manicured his career, but both of these guys are a-holes. Edit: I don't gamble on sports. But if I did, I would bet it all on Floyd.

I'm not saying he's not racist, I have no idea, but based on the press tour alone I'm not seeing it. Apparently 'boy' is a very common term in Ireland a la 'man' here. Again I'm no expert and he still should know better given the situation. I had no idea about the Kimmel thing, that is obviously awful if true (not saying it isn't).

Floyd has been convicted of beating women four times and owns a strip club called 'Girl Collection'. I think it's fair to say both are assholes. I only defend Conor a bit because I've followed him closely his entire UFC career and I've never heard a bad thing about him. He has two different personas, the promoter which you've seen all week and what appears to be the real him after fights when he's honest and reflective. The guy campaigned for LGBT rights in Ireland so it would seem weird to me if he was racist at the same time but again, I don't know.

But you would be smart to bet it all on Floyd. He's gonna win handily. The only thing that gives me pause is Conor has defied everyone's expectations all along the way. The guy's self belief is almost supernatural.
  • Icterus galbula likes this
@PhelanToTweet

Host of Phelan to Communicate - a podcast about Movies, TV, Video Games, and MMA

#63 Biggsy

Biggsy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

McGregor has said, "Dance for me boy," several times. Also was a headline saying he called Mayweather a monkey.
Mayweather called him a 'fag'.
I believe the money grab / hype train angle...  (they didn't go to 4 cities to promote by accident... during the slowest sports week of the year).... but I can believe they've actually got under each other's skin.
If you are McGregor, that could be by design. Trying to get Mayweather to want to fight him.

The dance for me boy comment being turned into a race argument just shows how damn sensitive Americans have gotten. There is no racial intent in the line. His intent in saying it was to imply Mayweather was just there for his entertainment. Not because of the color of his skin, But as a means of disrespecting his ability as a fighter. It's so annoying that anything involving a black man or woman instantly gets questioned as racist. He's made the same exact statement to Chad Mendes, and Dennis Siver. Was it racist then?

#64 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,398 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:41 PM

So this is about as rigged and about as big a money grab as WWE right?
@BSLMikeRandall

#65 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 6,948 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:58 PM

Rigged - no. Money grab - absolutely.
@PhelanToTweet

Host of Phelan to Communicate - a podcast about Movies, TV, Video Games, and MMA

#66 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,398 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

Rigged so McGregor is destroyed in a boxing match, challenges Mayweather to an MMA fight. Mayweather accepts. They both make double the usual purse from PPV Sales.
@BSLMikeRandall

#67 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 6,948 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:06 PM

Rigged so McGregor is destroyed in a boxing match, challenges Mayweather to an MMA fight. Mayweather accepts. They both make double the usual purse from PPV Sales.
Mayweather will never fight in the Octagon. That'd be more lopsided than this boxing match will be. And he knows it. The only way there's a rematch is if Conor shocks the world. But I can see where you're coming from with the circus that was this week. Too much pride on both sides to take a dive IMO.
@PhelanToTweet

#68 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,398 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

Pride? I'd get ktfo'd twice for $200M
@BSLMikeRandall

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 99,459 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

The dance for me boy comment being turned into a race argument just shows how damn sensitive Americans have gotten. There is no racial intent in the line. His intent in saying it was to imply Mayweather was just there for his entertainment. Not because of the color of his skin, But as a means of disrespecting his ability as a fighter. It's so annoying that anything involving a black man or woman instantly gets questioned as racist. He's made the same exact statement to Chad Mendes, and Dennis Siver. Was it racist then?

Telling an African-American 'Dance for me boy' definitely has a racial connotation in America.

To you point, McGregor might not have been aware of that the first time he said it. Might have been completely innocent as you described.

That said, after the first time he said that Floyd... he was told of how many African-Americans interpreted that here in the US... and he said it again.  So for me... if I was inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt after the first time, I was less inclined to do so when he did it again.

• Icterus galbula likes this

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 99,459 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

Deadspin: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Vs. Conor McGregor Is The Second-Biggest Possible Fuck-You

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 99,459 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:57 AM

Complex: Conor McGregor's Sparring Session With Former World Champion Reportedly Stopped After It Got 'Out of Control'
http://www.complex.c...-out-of-control

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 99,459 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

SI: Speaking Things Into Existence: Conor McGregor is Ready to Shock The World

#73 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 6,948 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

MMA Fighting: Ariel Helwani sits down with Conor McGregor https://m.youtube.co...k&feature=share
@PhelanToTweet

#74 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 6,948 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

Here's the song mentioned in the interview above. Very catchy. https://m.youtube.co...h?v=QNXtqNNB77g
@PhelanToTweet

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 99,459 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

Will use 8 oz gloves.

#76 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 6,948 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

Apparently this is real life.

BSL: The Money Fight: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor

http://baltimorespor...conor-mcgregor/

@PhelanToTweet

#77 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

If Mayweather loses I'm convinced it is because he took a dive. There is just no other way. BTW I don't doubt this is going to be a huge fight but I don't see the extraordinary hype and we are less than a week out. Maybe it picks up this week but it feels it should have been bigger to this point.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#78 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 99,459 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

SI: Farce vs. Fight: Is Mayweather-McGregor Risking Boxing's Best Chance at Resurgence?

#79 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

Floyd is under -500. Insane. Seriously, go take the free money.
  • BSLBobPhelan likes this

#80 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

I am really, really trying to care about this match.

I am failing.

I'll probably hit up a Bateman's and pig out while watching, but...big meh. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners